Ford Edge interior cabin air filter removal and replacement

Could always do what I do, told the neighbor kids I lost a quarter between the seats and, if they could find it, they could keep it. There were two, a 9 year old and a four year old. They came put with a little over $2! Like having human vacuum cleaners.

Pull out the glove box and have one of your grandkids or neighborhood kids look for it. Offer a chocolate bar and you'll have the little bugger back on no time at all.

I just ordered a cleanable/re-usable K&N Cabin Air Filter from Amazon. Will receive it on Friday. I resisted the urge to buy their "Recharging Kit" for $11. I looked at the ingredients and its the same thing as Simple Green or any of the other green cleaners. Spray it on, let it set, and rinse it off with water. I just like the idea of a re-usable and cleanable filter. Also have an AEM Dryflow in the airbox.

• Like 1

...hmmm. I believe that the Simple Green will kill any mold that accumulates, and a good rinse should also clear away any mold remnants. And wouldn't the simple airflow over the filter medium build up an electrostatic charge regardless? (I could very well be wrong on that, anyone who knows better please chime it.) I guess I just don't want to feel suckered into buying an unnecessary recharge kit. However, I can be persuaded to buy one if I am incorrect in my assumptions.

...hmmm. I believe that the Simple Green will kill any mold that accumulates, and a good rinse should also clear away any mold remnants. And wouldn't the simple airflow over the filter medium build up an electrostatic charge regardless? (I could very well be wrong on that, anyone who knows better please chime it.) I guess I just don't want to feel suckered into buying an unnecessary recharge kit. However, I can be persuaded to buy one if I am incorrect in my assumptions.

Here's a webpage that discusses this, look under "electrostatic methods" about 1/3 of the way down.

http://m.contractingbusiness.com/iaq-amp-ventilation/examination-electrostaticelectronicfilter-upgrades

An electrostatic filter generates an electrostatic charge because if special threads woven into the filter.

Instead of buying the special chemicals to recharge the filter (personally I feel they are cheap considering that a kit should last for years) you could try your Simple Green and follow with something like "end dust" or simular to make the the filter more effective. (Or for a trial, try spraying just 1/2 of the filter and check it after a couple of weeks to see it there is any difference.)

There are also several products on the market that are designed for home furnace filters, that will work as well.

Enigma, thanks for the links. I read them both. It seems like the K&N filter (and >any< electrostatic filter, by the link info) SHOULD be cleaned and treated with the 'tackifier' and recharge fluid. So today I found myself in an AutoZone and bought the recharge kit. It wasn't the $$ so much as was it REALLY needed. And from the article its clear that, yeah, you do need to clean it and especially recharge it. It appears as though the static recharge spray is what is more important than the cleaning fluid to make sure that the airflow builds up the charge on the filter material for the most effective filtration. And after spending $40 on a cabin filter, why skimp on the cleaning fluids eh? Thanks again for the links.

• Like 1