Titanium tailgate and hill - won't close

Paul Proefrock

Noticed a strange behavior with our new 2015 Titanium and the Foot Switch tailgate.

When parked on a hill and you use the kick sensor to close the tailgate, it cycles closed and then immediately opens again. The tailgate latches but immediately unlatches and moves to open - as if it had hit something.

When we move the car to flat ground, the kick sensor works fine - just like it should

Anyone else experiencing this? My dealer is willing to look into it but they haven't run across it on other vehicles.

? ? ?

Paul

I have used it on my driveway that had a slight incline without issue. Next time I'm around more of an incline, I'll give it a try to see the result.

My guess is the result of the grade of the hill coupled with the weight of the tailgate is triggering it to think something is holding it from latching as normal.

Noticed a strange behavior with our new 2015 Titanium and the Foot Switch tailgate.

When parked on a hill and you use the kick sensor to close the tailgate, it cycles closed and then immediately opens again. The tailgate latches but immediately unlatches and moves to open - as if it had hit something...

Are you noticing this on a up or down hill?

Parked uphill - 17% grade

Electric latch, both pushbutton and kick sensor affected. Manually close it is the only way to get the latch to hold

Paul

Thinking out loud, since the tailgate has sensors or a mechanism to detect obstacles when closing/opening for safety, the obstacle detection system would probably take into consideration the weight of the tailgate while closing/opening. On level ground, the power tailgate would be holding its weight all the way from fully open to closed position. While on a steep uphill incline, imagine how the tailgate would reach a position while closing that the weight being held up is significantly reduced prompting the obstacle detection to sense a safety issue.

I also had this happen when parked uphill on a somewhat uneven surface. Moving the car to an even and slightly less step hill made it close just fine.

It actually looked like the whole hatch door did not align properly when parked on an uneven surface. Chassis flex? Not sure.

Edited by jalm111