Sony stereo

I think it sounds OK for a stock system in an SUV. You can't expect much out of a stock Ford system regardless if it has "Shaker" or "Sony" on the Headunit.

I usually have to adjust the treble up pretty high and also increase the bass. I don't use surround.

Usually a simple speaker swap will increase the quality of the sound. Because Ford loves to use those cheap paper coned speakers.

We're not impressed at all. Our 2007 Edge SEL with the audiophile 9 speaker system sounded great, but this 12 speaker Sony system just doesn't cut it.I think I'm going to go to the dealer and compare it to other 2015 Edges with the Sony stereo. Currently I have the treble gain all the way up and the mid and bass adjusted all the way down. Will play with it some more we've only had it for a couple of days. It has a very monotone sound.

• Like 1

In the Sport's settings, I hiked the treble and bass a bit, and turned surround sound on. I moved the front-to-rear fader from center toward the rear (3/4 from front, 1/4 from rear). These settings, for me, make the cabin full-sounding as opposed to coming just from front or rear. YMMV.

While the Edge's audio system isn't head-banging like the 500w system in my wife's 2007 Mustang convertible, I think it is well above average.

I'm with you, I think the sound kinda stinks. I have the bass up a bit as well as the treble. I've tried the surround mode, but I don't really like it. I also tried to move the sound to the back a bit but that didn't do much for me. I will probably look into replacing the speakers at some point.

One of the best, easiest, cheapest upgrades you could do to your Ford Edge sound system is to replace the cheapie, paper coned, anemic speakers in both the front and back seat doors with something like Infinity 6829CF. fuller range, deeper, cleaner base. Its not the magic blue pill, but is noticable improvement.

I put similar Infinitys in my Mustang. What a huge improvement over those cheap Ford stock.

• 1 month later...

I had been very unhappy with the sound of the system, particularly with the lack of treble. Using the maximum treble boost setting the sound was still "muddy". I was thinking of replacing the tweeters to see if that would help.

I just discovered that the treble control is reversed !! If I set the treble all the way to minus I get incredibly clear and brilliant high end sound. It is crazy, but it works.

I have 2009 Edge Limited with the high end audio unit. It cranks! I can't tell you how happy I am with it. I have been looking at purchasing a 2013 SEL without the Sony system (whatever is just beneath the Sony system). I am worried I will be greatly disappointed. It does have navigation, but not the Sony sound. Can anyone tell me how many speakers are in this 2013 system and where they are located? Does anyone have that unit and can tell me what they think. (I have not been able to drive the 2013 yet that I speak of).

I think the 2015 Sony is better than a lot I've heard, but not top of the line. HD FM is so much cleaner, Sirius still sucks, in any car I've been in sounds like it plays through a soup can, and Pandora feeds are CLEAN. Yea, played with Treble and bass a little. Surprised no real sub woofer though, even my Prius has one.

I think the 2015 Sony is better than a lot I've heard, but not top of the line. HD FM is so much cleaner, Sirius still sucks, in any car I've been in sounds like it plays through a soup can, and Pandora feeds are CLEAN. Yea, played with Treble and bass a little. Surprised no real sub woofer though, even my Prius has one.

On Titanium and Sport models with the upgraded system, isn't there a sub in the cargo area? I know the older Edges did, but I guess I never looked on the '15

I have a 2015 Sport and I've noticed that having the DSP set to 'surround' sounds much better to me- Here is the problem however...I've also noticed the HU constantly decides to turn the 'Surround' setting off at seemingly random intervals!

I'll set it to surround and go back and check it a few times, and it is sitting on surround like it should be. The next day, or an hour later or whatever I'll check it and suddenly surround is set to off? Anyone else notice this??

I have a 2015 Sport and I've noticed that having the DSP set to 'surround' sounds much better to me- Here is the problem however...I've also noticed the HU constantly decides to turn the 'Surround' setting off at seemingly random intervals!

I'll set it to surround and go back and check it a few times, and it is sitting on surround like it should be. The next day, or an hour later or whatever I'll check it and suddenly surround is set to off? Anyone else notice this??

I noticed it turns Surround off also, not sure why though

• 5 months later...

I noticed it turns Surround off also, not sure why though

What does the dealer have to say about this? if its a bug in software, the more people that report it, the more likely Ford will issue a software patch. When i first got my wifes 2013 Escape, the rear camera guidelines kept turning off. A few months later, a sync software patch totally fixed the issue

What does the dealer have to say about this? if its a bug in software, the more people that report it, the more likely Ford will issue a software patch. When i first got my wifes 2013 Escape, the rear camera guidelines kept turning off. A few months later, a sync software patch totally fixed the issue

I haven't taken it in for the issue yet but glad to see I'm not the only one with the issue. My '13 Flex also had the same issue.

The issue beyond the cheap speakers is actually the head unit. It really doesn't matter if Sony or whoever puts their name on it... A factory built audio system is always going to protect the speaker. Meaning as you turn the volume up it is programmed to turn bass down. It ultimately will be your 1 constant tuning component that holds you back. Speaker swap is a must but I after changing speakers adding amps changing amps and adding a lc7i came finally to the conclusion that the factory head unit was not allowing me to get the tuning capabilities I wanted. But if many of your controls i.e. Climate control and others. There may not be an option as of yet. My head unit will do climate control vehicle info and a few others that I don't even have in my 10. Just have to see what your options are. But you kind of have to accept at some point that it's a factory system and it will never sound like you want it too.

I have found that the surround setting sounds much better than stereo. After several months of minor adjustments I have it sounding decent. Not anywhere near as good as sound as my '11 Edge with the Sony system. I ended up backing down the bass a bit and bumping up the mids to even it out. Treble is maxed and could still use a little more. I would love to replace the speakers but I have enough small creeks and rattles to deal with now. I'm afraid pulling door panels would create more.