Lowering springs for the Sport

s4tom3

Nick, that street light magically moved closer to the street. Amazing. :)

I ordered mine through TireRack. Probably be a month or two before they come in.

You mentioned the one side rear took you 5 hours. Why?

The fronts shouldn't be that bad if the strut mount bolts are accessible.

impossible for the street light to be closer, it moved with the car.

if doing it yourself, you have to take out all bolts on lower arm and then drop both rear subframe bolts. ALSO two T45 Torq screws on the sub frame. Those two T45s are the difference between 5hrs and a 30 min job. my drivers side I was trying to not move the subframe and it's more work than what it's worth.

• Like 1

As Ray Heath pointed out earlier this is probably the wrong part of the forum for this ongoing discussion but it's the most current, linear for the issue so here goes:

Got my H&R springs in. I don't own a smart phone and didn't have a digital camera handy so no pics. Rear was a POC, front not too bad but one side requires removal of a cowl to access top of the strut. Total install about 5 hours. AM job with no beers. Beers and strut compressors are a bad mix IME.

Look is pretty much as per Nick's photoshop job above and I'm pleased with that. But the big surprise is... I took it out and wrung it on a twisty road and what an improvement. Part of the reason I bought the Edge Sport (as opposed to the Explorer or other SUV/CUV) was the great handling. I have a Miata from Hell (slammed, supercharged, methanol burning monster) and didn't want something else to rattle my teeth out of my head. So the compliance and smoothness of the original suspension was pretty good for me: comfort with no sloppiness. The H&R springs reduce body roll but sacrifice little if any of the compliance and comfort. It's more performance without any real deterioration in comfort. I swear the road noise, cracks and splits are no different, no louder. You can have your cake and eat it, too.

Highly recommended.

• Like 3

As Ray Heath pointed out earlier this is probably the wrong part of the forum for this ongoing discussion but it's the most current, linear for the issue so here goes:

Got my H&R springs in. I don't own a smart phone and didn't have a digital camera handy so no pics. Rear was a POC, front not too bad but one side requires removal of a cowl to access top of the strut. Total install about 5 hours. AM job with no beers. Beers and strut compressors are a bad mix IME.

Look is pretty much as per Nick's photoshop job above and I'm pleased with that. But the big surprise is... I took it out and wrung it on a twisty road and what an improvement. Part of the reason I bought the Edge Sport (as opposed to the Explorer or other SUV/CUV) was the great handling. I have a Miata from Hell (slammed, supercharged, methanol burning monster) and didn't want something else to rattle my teeth out of my head. So the compliance and smoothness of the original suspension was pretty good for me: comfort with no sloppiness. The H&R springs reduce body roll but sacrifice little if any of the compliance and comfort. It's more performance without any real deterioration in comfort. I swear the road noise, cracks and splits are no different, no louder. You can have your cake and eat it, too.

Highly recommended.

I totally agree, I took a S Apex on ramp at 70, had no idea at all I was going 70 till I looked down. No changes in ride comfort but an amazing enhancement of getting rid of that body roll. And well...it looks amazing now. I have the factory 20s, I'd imagine the 21s look even better.

17757545_10210753178438967_3212941012070

• Like 1

Yer most welcome... and remember what my daddy always said: free advice is worth what you pay for it! I should add that the 5 hour install was facilitated by the fact that I had use of a buddy's garage on a Sunday (pro shop, full lift) and the assistance (well no, I was actually the assistant) of said buddy. A professional mechanic of some serious skill. If I had to do this on my own with the vehicle on jack stands it would add a few hours. Maybe double. I have done this (suspension replacement) before on two other vehicles, the Edge was not as difficult as the Audi but a lot more work than the Miata. But in any case, totally worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Helo Edge Sport owners,

Tire Rack now has H&R Lowering Sport Springs for $239. Ask for Coper and he will hook you up. I have a set on back order and they will arive by mid May 2017.

H&R

SPORT SPRING SET

Premium, Performance Street
  • FRONT AND REAR
  • Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
  • Manufacturer Part #: 28759-2
  • Note: Avg. low 1.2"F & 1.6"R.
    For AWD models. Lowering varies by engine size and model.
  • ========================
  • I have also fabricated a Duel K&N intake with sensor if anyone wants one . I can make one for your 2015 to 2017 Edge Sport. Contact me for a hook up.
  • post-46130-0-84422600-1493154325_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for this. I can't see a buyer not taking the suspension as is. I just spent a few minutes comparing the parts (illustrations and part #'s) and I can't figure the difference between the Edge Sport and Fusion/MKZ suspension. Well, rear anyway. Any idea what prevents the AirLift Fusion/MKZ fitting the Edge?

other than spring rates being different due to the weight not much. I used the Fusion How to on the Edge, Though, Aaron Vaccar did use a CD4 Fusion Air Suspension kit for his Edge he said a piece had to be created/modified to get the rear to work.

• Like 1

• I have also fabricated a Duel K&N intake with sensor if anyone wants one . I can make one for your 2015 to 2017 Edge Sport. Contact me for a hook up.

That intake pulls hot under-hood air, and uses oiled filters. Both are No-No's. Bare minimum it needs a plate to separate from the engine heat that at least tries to seal to the hood.

I am very happy with the performance of my intake . The oiled filter is not a problem as I have run one for thousands of miles with not one speck of oil or dirt in the intake runners. No problems with sensors, no problems with oil covering anything. Over oiling a filter can cause problems, but I have never seen what you refer to in thousands of miles of real world driving. As for hot air from under the hood , the filters sit in the bottom of the intake box next to the stock air intake . So they do recieve fresh cold air, they also suck in air from under the hood as you say. But in a turbo car the air is compressed and heats up anyway and then the hot compressed air is sent through a heat exchanger intercooler and the intake charge is then cooled before combustion. I understand what you are saying but this set up works great and IMHO looks great also.

• Like 1

I have a question about the new springs on the Sport with 21 inch rims. Has anyone done this, I wonder if the ride would be noticeably harsher since you have less rubber absorbing the bumps. I notice on our pot hole roads in Northern California the Sport ride can be harsh.

I have a question about the new springs on the Sport with 21 inch rims. Has anyone done this, I wonder if the ride would be noticeably harsher since you have less rubber absorbing the bumps. I notice on our pot hole roads in Northern California the Sport ride can be harsh.

See posts 27 & 28 just above...

• Like 1

A member on the facebook group lowered his and he has 21's and he said the ride was terrible once he put on his summer setup (20's and all season) the ride improved greatly and became bearable.

Who was it? Got a link to the post I can't find it? I haven't been accepted to the Edge Owners group, but I can see posts, just can't make any...

I am very happy with the performance of my intake . The oiled filter is not a problem as I have run one for thousands of miles with not one speck of oil or dirt in the intake runners. No problems with sensors, no problems with oil covering anything. Over oiling a filter can cause problems, but I have never seen what you refer to in thousands of miles of real world driving. As for hot air from under the hood , the filters sit in the bottom of the intake box next to the stock air intake . So they do recieve fresh cold air, they also suck in air from under the hood as you say. But in a turbo car the air is compressed and heats up anyway and then the hot compressed air is sent through a heat exchanger intercooler and the intake charge is then cooled before combustion. I understand what you are saying but this set up works great and IMHO looks great also.

FWIW, the OEM intake is a WARM AIR INTAKE in the 15+ SPORT, This open filter setup only yields slightly higher temps while driving. Of course at idle the temps are higher than normal, but while driving there is barely any difference, I tested this out for almost a month.

• Like 1

FWIW, the OEM intake is a WARM AIR INTAKE in the 15+ SPORT, This open filter setup only yields slightly higher temps while driving. Of course at idle the temps are higher than normal, but while driving there is barely any difference, I tested this out for almost a month.

As in you ran without any type of separation between the engine, and the filters, like he is? If so, how did you test it? You measure IAT under both circumstances with similar ambient temps and humidity?

As in you ran without any type of separation between the engine, and the filters, like he is? If so, how did you test it? You measure IAT under both circumstances with similar ambient temps and humidity?

I live in Hawaii, we don't have humidity and temp doesn't change that much outside. But yes, ran basically the same concept. Open filter in the bay and through datalogging and my dash mounted SCT X4, no IAT temps really change much and this is while doing 6plus straight hours while driving for Lyft. The OEM intake draws in air from a blocked/sealed off portion from the grille, it does not get direct airflow but simple air that finds it's way into the space.

I live in Hawaii, we don't have humidity and temp doesn't change that much outside. But yes, ran basically the same concept. Open filter in the bay and through datalogging and my dash mounted SCT X4, no IAT temps really change much and this is while doing 6plus straight hours while driving for Lyft. The OEM intake draws in air from a blocked/sealed off portion from the grille, it does not get direct airflow but simple air that finds it's way into the space.

Nick, thanks for doing real world Data Logging! That is real data!

Well that is REALLY good info. Bad for performance in general, but good for people with open boxes. I guess I can take back the fact that it would be different. It is for a shitty reason though. It is because our stock box and air inlet is crap!

Nick, thanks for doing real world Data Logging! That is real data!

Well that is REALLY good info. Bad for performance in general, but good for people with open boxes. I guess I can take back the fact that it would be different. It is for a shitty reason though. It is because our stock box and air inlet is crap!

yes the stock setup is utterly horrible. I think fords theory on the edge since room is so tight was that, it doesn't matter it's going through the Intercooler, but man if you were getting the coolest air possible to the IC it's less work!

• Like 1