Abnormal Steering on the 3.7 Sport

I have always felt torque steer in all the Edges. Felt it really hard today from a dead stop at the on ramp entrance. Slammed the gas down and the left front wheel squealed until the traction control hit then was at 88mph by the time I hit the merge to the interstate. Pretty good pick up when needed.

• Like 1

Yes it was Lullubelle and I am using the ADMIN key. I think I was being to critical on her in comparison to the Orange Crush. I am betting I do not have a TB issue, but will verify just to make sure. Plus might see if there are updates to the system that could help and have that done. I am sure there are updates since her manufacturing date.

Didn't slow down at 75/80 mph? I assume you were driving in Lullubelle?

They completed the work under the TSB on Friday but the mechanic reported that now the steering wheel was pulling to the left. I took the car back for the weekend and I'm bringing it back today for them to continue to work on it.

I confirmed it. The steering wheel now pulls left a bit and it still reacts to the torque of the car. When I'm on the highway I can feel the wheel move just a but when I the car upshifts.

I think the pulling when on a curve and changing lanes issue has gotten a little better but hard to tell. Definitely still something up with the steering..

I asked about the ball joints and they reported that they are fine.

We'll see what happens now...I believe they just finished the TSB work and took it for a test drive when I picked it up so I don't believe the mechanic had a chance to really troubleshoot the issue at that point. I just wanted my car back for the weekend because I'm too big for a Fusion and no work would get done on the weekend anyway...

Awful young Edge to be having Transmission Torque mount issues. Orange Crush did not develop the worn torque mount until about 270K miles. Guess it depends how you drive them though. Easy enough to diagnose. I still think ball joints as I had some really lefty righty movements when the ball joint was worn. Jack that thing up and pull the bolts out and give them both a wiggle. If you can move them around with little effort then they are worn. When I changed mine you could move them with a stiff breeze.

A broken torque strut could definitely create some "drifty" feeling.

• Like 1

Thank you! I will be sure to mention this when I bring the car back.

Again, the right front strut was busted when I bought the car so who knows what this person drove through before trading it in, although I did not notice any damage to the rim. Maybe I can get then to also replace the left strut since it doesn't match the new right one. if not, I'm thinking of replacing them both with some better quality struts perhaps.

You will find the choices for struts to be very limited. Yes replacing one strut could feasibly create driveability issues due to one side being weaker than the other.

Thank you! I will be sure to mention this when I bring the car back.

Again, the right front strut was busted when I bought the car so who knows what this person drove through before trading it in, although I did not notice any damage to the rim. Maybe I can get then to also replace the left strut since it doesn't match the new right one. if not, I'm thinking of replacing them both with some better quality struts perhaps.

Isn't the Sport supposed to have stiffer "sport tuned" suspension compared to the SEL? I'll see if I can get a new left strut installed (I'll pay for it if I have to). As of now I am not that impressed with the suspension so I'm looking for something stiffer.

But then again, maybe replacing that left is all I need.

my initial checks do not come up with any special struts for the Sport version. Normal Excel GR2 KYB are listed for limited and Sport

Isn't the Sport supposed to have stiffer "sport tuned" suspension compared to the SEL? I'll see if I can get a new left strut installed (I'll pay for it if I have to). As of now I am not that impressed with the suspension so I'm looking for something stiffer.

But then again, maybe replacing that left is all I need.

Same thing only difference is motorcraft is a two year warranty and KYB is lifetime. KYB also manufactures OEM shocks for many car company's. I have been unable to determine the sourcing for motorcraft parts. Most likely china.

Dealer says they use motorcraft, is there something I'm missing?

Car is still at dealer. Now they say they want to try replacing some "adjuster" but again they have to order the part (which is getting really old)...They did not have any details. What kind of adjuster could they be talking about?

This is the one thing I do not like about Ford Service is all of the messages are going through the service advisers who are NOT mechanics.

Being an inquisitive person does make them have to answer more questions especially if you are paying you can instill into them you want the information and a better explanation. This even goes for warranty work. Ask them to print out he part diagram and explain. The parts department does this for me all the time.

Latest update from the mechanic

"Steering wheel is offset to the left. Vehicle intermittently pulls hard right., acting as if pressures is intermittently cutting out causing vehicle to randomly pull like it does.

Going to put ids on and monitor engine rpms as I turn the wheel to see if there is a significant change in rpms, this should help determine if it may need a rack or p/s pump. I will keep you posted."

My last Edge, '11 SEL had issues with it's power steering pump also. It had a leak when we first bought it at 19K (cert pre-owned) and by the time I traded it in it was making a screeching noise when the steering wheel was cut all the way to one side, which I've seen a TSB for and it called for pump replacement.

What is most disturbing to me is that this car was a "certified pre-owned" vehicle". I'll never look at these cert pre owned cars the same again....

BUT, the car is under an extended warranty so worst case scenario I pay the deductible, unless somehow I can pin it on them that they sold me the car like that, which they did!

If this is the case, you folks in California are awfully hard on power steering pumps or you have some really rotten luck with them. Neither one of my 2011 have an issue with power steering pumps. At least you have the Extended warranty and I doubt you will get them to suck up a Mi Culpa on this. Como es el mundo buenas suerte amigo.

You should have seen the 1960 Lincoln power steering on Fantomworx the other night. It was on the front of the engine with a shaft connected to the crankshaft running through it turning it. Required a special seal otherwise it leaked fluid everywhere. The correct seal didn't work - they had to go find a random one that fit better. The mechanic said if he ever found the guy who designed it he'd hurt him really bad.

• Like 2

You should have seen the 1960 Lincoln power steering on Fantomworx the other night. It was on the front of the engine with a shaft connected to the crankshaft running through it turning it. Required a special seal otherwise it leaked fluid everywhere. The correct seal didn't work - they had to go find a random one that fit better. The mechanic said if he ever found the guy who designed it he'd hurt him really bad.

:clapping: LOL

So, they said that they are replacing the "steering gear" which sounds to me like the steering gear box and then they will test drive again. Not sure IF THAT was the issue or not. I was in touch with mgr and expressed my impatience with this and run around I was getting and brought up the right strut. He said they will replace the left one also.

This time when I get the car back I will inspect and test drive before I sign anything. Good news is I don't have to pay anything, they understand that the car was sold to me like this.

• Like 1

Got the car back and no change. I still notice the pulling when I change lanes.

I haven't seen the report yet but the TSB work was done and I believe the steering gear box was replaced. They also replaced the left front strut so now I have two new front struts which I am very happy about, that saves me money in the long run.

The mechanic mentioned torque steer but I just don't think it's torque steer. I read up on it, the wheel does not pull when I accelerate from a stop. I only notice the steering wheel move a little left when I take my foot off the gas on the freeway. Also from what I read, newer cars are programmed to compensate for torque steer. he said he even drove another sport and mentioned the wider wheels.

They said to drive it around and let them know if I still have the issue, the mechanic said he would probably look into replacing the axle next.

My only issue is this dealer is a little out of my way and for the minor issue, I just don't wanna bring it back there. I'm just thinking I wait for my warranty to kick in so i can take to any dealership (my normal spot that's closer to my job) Hopefully I can go to the my regular dealership with the report and they can see what they can do when I take it in for regular maintenance.

Edited by mcali6301