Abnormal Steering on the 3.7 Sport

I've been reading about torque steer more and I'm still not sure I can rule it out.

I've driven plenty of FWD's and have never heard or experienced it, ever...suddenly this seems to be something that is "normal" and I'm seeing all these articles about it and how it just exists. They also said that newer cars should not have these problems because computers should be correcting this issue and manufacturers have proactively addressed the potential issue.

So now I am thinking that my pulling has more to do with acceleration and de-acceleration while changin lanes but I am still not sure if this has to do with torque steer because none of this happens at speeds below 60. There is no pull when I accelerate from a full stop, this only happens on the freeway and it's really annoying.

Can anyone confirm that this is normal on the sport?

Luckily the dealership is still will to work with me but I don't want my car in the shop for another week...

It's really hard to tell especially when there is a crown in road. I have not tried that yet since the work was done on the car.

I'll try that and report back.

But let's say there is this torque steer, there has to be a way to fox this right?

Edited by mcali6301

Does the Edge track straight while driving at speeds 60 or above, i.e., if you let go of the wheel briefly, would it continue in a straight line with the steering wheel pointed straight ahead?

Yes. Even if I let go of the steering wheel and gas, then give it gas the car does not pull, not at any speed. Its of the steering wheel that moves.

Edited by mcali6301

Hmm. Sticking caliper R/R?

But it's only in reverse when I moderately accelerate, not while coasting or light acceleration.

I'm leaning towards the axle right now, the mechanic said that will be the next thing he replaces and plus that broken right front strut must have been the result of hard impact although I never say any rim damage..

Trying to think if an axle issue would explain the pulling though....

I could not really even guess as to the issue. Checking the suspension/motormounts and transmission torque mount along with all the other components would be my starting point.

Today I took a another test drive with the mechanic and shop foreman. I showed them how the steering wheel moved when I just give it gas on the freeway and is fine on the street even when I gun it. All they can say is that it is torque steer, when I try to contest that, because the car does not pull at all, only the steering wheel they say the car is made to not pull. I tried to throw all possibilities at them from what I gathered here but they had a reason for everything, some just did not sit right with me...doesn't make sense to me. This never happened in my SEL and believe me I have given that thing WOT at times! I get that the position that they are in, they say that they've replaced the rack and pinion but I see no difference.

Now this new issue, when I put the car in reverse and give it a good amount of gas it there is a "grinding" sound and feel on on my foot , I demonstrated this for them a lot of times on the street and they say it is just the load on the engine. Mechanic got in the driver seat and the feeling they noticed was normal engine load because the engine/car was going in a different direction, they tried accelerating with the car in "manumatic" first gear but it was fine. They even took me into an Edge limited (3.5) to see if it happens, it does not happen in the limited when reversing on the street, reversing up a hill yes but that felt normal, there will load on the engine, understandable...Now I have only noticed this since the other day (and I am very vigilant about what goes with on with my car) when backing up in my drive way (which is, at first a small uphill grade) I heard knock/pop from that side....

They say the only thing they can imagine is the motor mount, then I remembered this post.

What's funny is that you have mentioned the motor mount for the steering issue, now they are mentioning the motor mount for the reverse "grinding" issue...

Can you explain how the motor mount can be causing one of both of these issues? I cannot see how the motor mount can cause this..

I have not heard of a Ford Edge left or right motor mount failing. I however did have a transmission torque mount fail that caused some torque steer issues. Pretty easy to diagnose. Set the parking brakes and then shift forward with a little gas then reverse. You will need a camera under the Edge to point to the transmission mount to record if it is moving a lot. Part is pretty inexpensive if you order it through rock auto or maybe through levit town ford but it will cost a bit more. Fairly easy to replace also.

I JUST watched this video! after googling before I saw this post. Thanks! cute kid btw lol....

I did not mention this to them but I will next time I'm in contact with them...If they still can't find the issue then I will try exactly what you did when I get the car back. I even thought of getting a go pro and using one of the flex tripods and wrapping it around something under the car to see what is going on...

My car is still under warranty so no cost to me. I just want to get this all sorted out in the next 30K miles when the warranty is up.LOL

• Like 1

It most certainly is and it's making me very anxious.

The dealer said next step would be to look at motor mounts but they were very skeptic, problem is they didn't sound like it was gonna get done today (it's been almost 3 weeks taking the car back and fourth and been on 3 test drives already)

Now this morning, they called me asking who I gave the car key to, UGH....if they can't find it, I'll have to wait till after work for wife to bring her key and needless to say the car definitely won't get looked at unless they find it!....if they don't make progress today I'm just gonna pull the car out and take it to another dealership...Too much back and forth for too long and it's not fun driving the rental Toyota go cart around town....lol....Need someone new to look at it..

Thank GOODness I don't have to pay for any of this, I'd have a heart attack already LOL

Edited by mcali6301