Suggestions to get haze/swirls out of Sport wheels?

Wondering if anyone's had any luck with any particular methods/products on their Sport wheels. Ours are getting a little hazy/swirly, and I'd like to get that almost-chrome shine back, if possible. I have a Porter Cable DA polisher for paint corrections, but I think it's too big and clunky to use on the wheels. Does the Mothers Power Ball actually work, or is a bit of elbow grease and the right product better? If the latter, what would this "right product" be?

Thanks!!

There might be some Dremel-tool-based appicators out there, and that would definitely help the correction be more even. But for tight spaces, usually the best route is to take a good microfiber cloth (or glove) and some finishing polish like Meguiar's 205 (since the haze/swirls are not bad yet), add elbow grease. No idea on the Mother's Powerball for this app. There are a few user reviews, mostly good.

Not quite for paint, but these tools do exist:

http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-MANIFOLD-ALUMINUM-Stainless/dp/B000HW9G6K/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thanks for the reply! I went with the elbow grease and MF towel method the other day. Unforunately it didn't make a lick of difference. Although, I wasn't using an M205-like product. I just had some "Eagle One Nano Wheel Polish" sitting around, so that's what I used. Maybe I'll get a higher quality polish and try again. I DO have a Dremmel, but hadn't thought to use it for this type of application. You've got me wondering now...

Edited by wes8398

• 3 weeks later...

Last fall, did my wifes '09 Cinnamon MKS (now has a new '15 S), with Meguires mirror glaze (# 105) Ultra-cut compound, followed by Malco Tru Polish (part # 197332)

All in one Polish and swirl remover followed by Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. results were amazing. Might want to try this out.

• Like 1

JOEHIO - That's what I was lookin' for; thanks for chiming in!! I had considered M105, but wasn't sure if it was too harsh. Did you polish by hand, or machine? What type of applicator/pad did you use?

Also, great to see another Collinite 845 user. I spent a lot of time on the Autogeek forums a few years ago researching my first DIY "paint correction". 845 was my wax of choice after all my research. For the rest of the job I went with the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System and a Porter Cable DA. The job was done on my '06 Cadillac CTS-V and the results were OUTSTANDING after about 8 total hours of work. I felt like I could dive into THAT paint.

That brings me to a question.. think I could use the Meg's MF Correction Compound on these wheels with similar results to your M105? I don't think I could get the DA polisher in there, so it would have to be by hand. But I guess with a good MF applicator or hand pad, it just might get the job done, eh?

wes8398 - I used a Porter Cable DA Polisher, used the blue pad, the guy said it's not too harsh on the dark color. I think that the correction compound will work just fine. Definitely have to dom it by hand, even the Mothers PowerBall night not get into all area's, and would produce splatter like crazy. Happy to see you like Colllinite, too. Another forum person (Richy) clued me into this, along with duragloss products. When we got the wife's new '15 MKS the end of June, first thing I did was bring it home, while the paint was still "virgin", and put a good coat of Collinite on it. The car looks amazing.

Wish you the best on the wheels.

Joe

JOEHIO - ooops. I read your 1st post very quickly, then replied to it without giving it another read. I thought you were talking about using the M105, etc on the WHEELS. Regardless, still some good info. Thanks! I think I may give the Correction Compound a go by hand, and if that doesn't take much of the swirling out, maybe I'll try the Powerball. We'll see. Thanks again.

Edited by wes8398