Tuning

MC11_13

Remember, the more horses you have the more hay you need... meaning if you unlock more of the horsepower the engine can produce, the more gas its going to take. There isnt really a way to have both unless you drive reallllllyyyyy easy on the accelerator. But other than that i dont really think there is a way to have both power and fuel economy. I actually have an SCT tune for my mustang... trying to get a hold of americanmuscle.com to see if it would work with my edge.

• 10 months later...

New guy here... I was always of the belief that the more power potential you have, the more efficient the engine can operate... That being said, the comments stated above about there being no way to have both more power and better fuel economy at the same time would be dependent on how heavy the driver's right foot is if my theory is correct. So with that scenario, more power potential on the highway at speed with the cruise control locked at 2,000 RPM over long a distance should net better mileage, where as stop light to stop light in the city would likely be worse because driving conservatively is boring when you have more power available.

where as stop light to stop light in the city would likely be worse because driving conservatively is boring when you have more power available.

Ummmmm, you should see how exciting it gets around here at lunch time when the production personnel hit the streets to grab a sandwich with their 1/2 hour lunch. Amazing how much power they squeeze out of an old Nissan.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Nobody said you can't have more power and better fuel economy at the same time. E.g. Advancing the timing normally achieves both. Other changes involve making the engine more efficient - less friction, less moving weight, etc. etc.

But just adding more air or cooler air simply adds more oxygen to the combustion chamber and that always requires more fuel. It doesn't change the efficiency of the engine. And modern cars run in a closed loop where they measure the incoming oxygen and measure the efficiency of the combustion process via the O2 sensors and adjust the fuel accordingly.

Seeing that the original post was almost a year ago, the original poster may not even read this... Anyhoo... I have the 91-octane off-the-shelf SCT4 tune in my 2010 and it is faster and gets about 1/2 - 3/4 mpg better. It still costs a bit more on gas because of the increased 91-octane fuel cost. No theory chatter here - just the facts.

I think it will do better on both counts once I get a better intake. Currently have stock parts with both tube-top-ports plugged and both snorkels removed from air box and an AEM dry-flow drop-in filter. Happy trails.... :)

I have the 91-octane off-the-shelf SCT4 tune in my 2010 and it is faster and gets about 1/2 - 3/4 mpg better. It still costs a bit more on gas because of the increased 91-octane fuel cost. No theory chatter here - just the facts.

That's because the tune is advancing the timing which is why you need 91 octane.