2008 Ford Edge Cooling Fan Malfunction

jgordon10

I have a 2008 Edge with towing package. Last week it overheated on my wife and the check engine light came on with code P0480: Cooling fan 1 Control Circuit Malfunction. Assuming it was either a fan problem or the fan relay problem, I bought the whole cooling fan assembly on Amazon and replaced it today. After replacing it, neither fan turned on when I started the Edge. I took it out for a drive and once the car reached normal temperature (gauge in middle between hot/cold) BOTH fans kicked on and never turned off. Even after I got home and shut the car off BOTH fans continued to run loudly for 10 minutes until I pulled the fuse. I'm stumped... Could the Coolant Temp Sensor cause this kind of issue?

I have turned my 2007 off with the fans running and they continue for only about 5 seconds max. It may be that your car is overheating and they are designed to run longer. How high is your temp gauge running? Will they turn off if you don't pull the plug? If the A/C is running and the car isn't hot do they turn off when you shut the car?

I sat in the car last night for 10 minutes after I shut the engine off and the fans never shut off, so I ended up pulling the fuses. After the car sat overnight I went out and put the fuses back in this morning and both fans fired right up. So for some reason they are getting a constant power signal to run, even when the key isn't in the ignition. So I went from the old fans that wouldn't engage at all (which caused the overheating), to new fans that won't shut off! I tried everything I could think of, but in the end I took the Edge to a mechanic this morning. My only hypothesis is that the coolant temp sensor is broken, causing the PCM to think the engine is constantly overheating and causing the fans to run. Thanks for your help. I will post whatever the mechanic finds..

Have you resolved your issue? Having the same exact issue with the fans staying on.

I sat in the car last night for 10 minutes after I shut the engine off and the fans never shut off, so I ended up pulling the fuses. After the car sat overnight I went out and put the fuses back in this morning and both fans fired right up. So for some reason they are getting a constant power signal to run, even when the key isn't in the ignition. So I went from the old fans that wouldn't engage at all (which caused the overheating), to new fans that won't shut off! I tried everything I could think of, but in the end I took the Edge to a mechanic this morning. My only hypothesis is that the coolant temp sensor is broken, causing the PCM to think the engine is constantly overheating and causing the fans to run. Thanks for your help. I will post whatever the mechanic finds..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The best solution is to have a diagnostic performed to ensure the temp sensor is functioning properly and not defaulted to the open/run position. It is obvious the circuit is remaining powered so a trace back to the sensor is the most logical solution to determine if the sensor is shutting down properly.

The CHT sensor is a thermistor device in which resistance changes with the temperature. The electrical resistance of a thermistor decreases as temperature increases, and the resistance increases as the temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signals to the PCM corresponding to temperature.

The CHT sensor is installed in the cylinder head and measures the metal temperature. The CHT sensor can provide complete engine temperature information and can be used to infer coolant temperature. If the CHT sensor conveys an overheating condition to the PCM, the PCM initiates a fail-safe cooling strategy based on information from the CHT sensor. A cooling system concern such as low coolant or coolant loss could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Using both the CHT sensor and fail-safe cooling strategy, the PCM prevents damage by allowing air cooling of the engine and limp home capability.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did anyone have any luck fixing this issue? I'm having the same problem. Fan assembly was replaced and now the fans will not turn off when car is even well below operating temp. They will run until unplugged. Also, they are both working simultaneously.

Which brand did you install? Have had reports that aftermarket doesn't do so good, OEM (Motorcraft) is best. Sometimes the A/C pressure switch (ACPSW) could be the issue.

Also, carry out the PCM self-test to access any DTCs. Record any key on engine off (KOEO), key on engine running (KOER) (if the engine runs) and continuous memory (MIL and non-MIL) DTCs

If I remember correctly, someone here in the forum (or in another related forum) found that the wiring connector on the aftermarket fan assy was wired differently. Couple of wires were reversed, and that caused the fans to run continously. Should be able to find which terminals to change in the connector if you Google it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I think this is out of my reach of expertise. The fans are the Oreillys brand. Murray brand. I even took back the first set of fans because I thought the constant running was a faulty module. I took the module off the new assembly and put it on the old assembly and one fan automatically started running. If it were a wiring problem it would have to be inside the module itself. I believe it's something with the ac system or the cylinder head temperature sensor. I'm taking it to the dealer later today:| I WILL POST THE OUTCOME. This is my first time on a forum but I have benefited from other posts in the past. I will post outcome to hopefully help someone in the future.

• Like 1

I took the module off the new assembly and put it on the old assembly and one fan automatically started running. If it were a wiring problem it would have to be inside the module itself.

Just "one" fan was running. Shouldn't both be running?

What caused you to replace the fan assembly in the first place, were neither of them running?

Btw, are you testing with the AC turned off? With ac on, both fans should be running.

Here's my experience from the beginning...

Car overheated. I noticed the fans weren't running. Fuses checked out. I replaced the assembly with assembly purchased at oreillys(Murray brand). I did this in a Texas 100 degree store parking lot being I was an hour away from home. Immediately after plugging the assembly in(car off) the fans started. They ran slow. I thought this was ok being that the others wouldnt turn on period. After replacing them I went through a drive thru. While waiting, A/C started blowing warm and car started over heating again. I was able to get home because the rest of the way home was highway and temp stayed normal. The A/C blew cold the whole way. When I got home the fans were off even with the A/C full blast. Shut the car off and noticed the fans started up. They stayed on for hours. I finally pulled the plug off the module. Next day I started the car to look into it some more. I noticed that when the ac compressor kicks on, the fans (both) kick on for a few seconds and shut off. It did this every time the ac compressor kicked on. Both fans are working together. Either both on, or both off. This happened with both aftermarket assemblies. We shall she what the verdict is....

Edited by Pibar

• 2 weeks later...

Verdict: 2 bad assemblies from Oreilly auto parts. The module was bad in both apparently. The dealer placed the factory module off of my assembly onto the new fan assembly. Waalaahh. It works. I originally tried the opposite with no luck("new" module on old fan assembly.) Hope this helps.

• Like 2