2015 Edge Sport - engine shut down while driving

djrjr

I was driving my 2015 Ford Edge Sport today. As I was pulling out onto a road with the vehicle shifted in sport I began to accelerate until the engine shut down around 30 miles an hour. At least I think I shut down I could not tell right away. I got the wrench icon on the dash and also a warning on the dash with the wrench on it that allowed me to hit OK to clear it from the screen. I tried hitting ok while I was coasting into a parking lot but everytime I hit ok it kept bringing the wrench back then it started to show a lot of different errors one of which said that the cross traffic was not working and my engine oil pressure was low. When I saw the low engine oil pressure warning I stop the car immediately as I pulled into a parking lot and let it sit for a second or 3. I started it up after a couple of minutes and it shows no warning lights, no check engine light, and everything looked OK and normal. The only difference was that the exterior temperature showed that it was 50 degrees as opposed to the 82 that it showed before.

I drove about 120 miles home and did not encounter any other issues after that. When I originally pulled out onto the road I was sitting in a little bit of gravel which caused some wheel spin when I first drove onto the road and it showed the traction light while driving away. When I drove away after the first starting the vehicle back up I tried giving it the larger amount of gas to get it to chirp the tires to see if maybe it was an issue with traction but everything functioned normally.

At first I drove to a grocery store and parked. I restarted the edge in engineering mode. It showed no DTC codes. As I said I drove over 100 miles home and it did not act up at all. I have had this car a week and a half and it has been fine the entire time. It was a demo vehicle... The owner of the dealership and his wife were driving a prior to me and put almost 4,000 miles on the car. The dealer had mentioned that the owner and his wife are very very meticulous about their vehicles and have been known to return vehicles for the slightest of issue whenever I first looked at the vehicle on the lot. So I'm thinking this is the first time this has happened.

I have an appointment this Thursday at the dealership service department because it needs a check for the water leak and also they put a base model rear light bar when I should have an LED light bar on the hatch. Since there are no DTC codes and engineering mode showed no issues I'm afraid it would be a waste of time to mention to them what happened as there is no proof and the vehicle is driving normally now. I cannot stress enough how normal this vehicle drives. I have had a lemon. I had a Chrysler 300 C that was a piece of trash this age does not feel at all like it is a lemon like people on Facebook that it was when I asked in a group about edges if anyone experienced what I experienced. Is it worth mentioning to the dealer service department? Or should I just move on and forget that it happened because I truly think it was just a hiccup in the computer. Thanks all!

Your not alone. . . mine has stalled 4 or 5 times in the last 2 months. The last time I was trying to turn left in an intersection with the family inside. We almost got in a bad accident. The car has been at the dealership 5 days now and counting. . . I also went to the safer car.gov website and filed a complaint. There are other 2015 owners having the same stalling issues. I hope you file a complaint also. I like Fords, but this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed before someone gets killed.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the exact same problem with my 2014 Escape 2.0 Eco boost. I even took video of the warning lights on the dash that came on when it happened. It happened twice and I took it to 2 different dealers but they told me that because the ECU didn't store any error codes for the problem there was nothing they could do. I complained and and complained and finally the dealer agreed to get me out of my lease and into a 2015 Edge Sport, but now I read the same problem is occurring in some Edges. Oh great!

The problem seems to be a sensor somewhere is sending a false signal to the ECU that there is a problem and it places the car into a LIMP mode to protect the engine. But since no code is stored that can't fix it. I found info on the internet where other Escape owners are having the same problem but nothing is being done. I saw there were similar complaints with the older Escapes and a factory fix did come out for them. I filed a complaint with NHTSA and I saw there were others there also.

Good luck - it really does create a dangerous situation and for sure someone is going to get hurt one day.

I too have shutdown occurances with my 2015 Edge SEL at about 10,000 miles. Two times this past weekend. The first time I pulled our of my driveway and started to accelerate and it shutdown. A message came up in the message that read something like "All Accessories Power Activate" Of coourse I had to completely stop forward movement and go to "Park" before I could restart the engine and get moving. Fortunately I was on a quiet street with little traffic. The second time I was pulling into a shopping center when it stopped. It hasn't happened again as of today (9/20/15). It would have been much more serious had I been going at speed on a Freeway. This all reminds me of GM's ignition key problems. The result is pretty much the same i. e. loss of control of the vehicle. Houston, Texas, 9/20/2015

I posted this in an another thread and will post it here too...

Vehicle Information: 2015 Ford Edge SEL 3.5

When mine did this I was approaching a 4 way stop while lightly tapping on my brakes then the engine just shut down and this message popped up "Full Accessory Power Active"?!

W0tscVAl.jpg

Note: I didn't take a picture at the time of the incident, I took this image while the car was in the driveway. To get this message you press the Engine Start/Stop button (Accessory Mode)

Went the following day to the dealer and they performed a "Calibration Update"

ZbBdDL1l.jpg?1

This whole thing is stupid and I hope the update they performed really fixes this crap.

Also please file a complaint with the nhtsa if this has happened to you: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Do it before someone gets injured!

Edited by foxxyfox

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Today marks day #24 that my car has been in the garage. This is the 3rd time it has been at the dealership for this problem.

The first time they could not replicate the issue but reflashed the PCM as there was an update. Less than 2 weeks later it stalled while driving.

The second time they could not replicate the issue. There was a DTC of C10000. They could not explain why, they contacted Ford. Ford said they could not explain why it acted up and said it was potentially due to loose wiring. A week later and it died while driving again. This time I got it on video. It died while driving, I was able to safely stop at a traffic light and got my phone out to video. I pulled back onto the highway and it acted up again on camera. You can view the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvSsXQOHNmk&ab_channel=matchgame90

This third time they've had my car going on 10 days as of today. The Check Engine light was now on for code P0430. Dealership said was a bad cat. The service manager, with my blessing, had been driving my car and it acted up on him the day after they said it had a bad cat. Service manager seemed upset at how it "Stalls" (it doesn't just stall - it stops reacting to input from the gas pedal but doesn't exactly slow down either...)

I've already contacted a lawyer and am in the process of having it declared a lemon. The service advisor says Ford suggested swapping o2 sensors around. The Check Engine light came back on and it is still reading that it has a bad cat.

Would a bad cat cause these issues? I just want my car back so I can get the process moving on having it declared a lemon. Ford says I'm not eligible for a rental vehicle but fortunately my dealer has given me one on their dime. They've been great to work with but I want this resolved sooner rather than later.

I just want my car back so I can get the process moving on having it declared a lemon. Ford says I'm not eligible for a rental vehicle but fortunately my dealer has given me one on their dime. They've been great to work with but I want this resolved sooner rather than later.

Primo: GO with the lemon law!!

Second: "you're not eligible for a rental...WTF are they serious!?! After 10 days !?!

Dang that sucks. When it happened to me (I had 1,800 miles on odometer) it only said "Power Accessory Drive", no wrench icon came on or any of those other warnings you had. I've put in about 1,000 miles on it and haven't had a problem since they did the "calibration update".....knock on wood

Hopefully they lemon your car and give you a 2016 with Sync 3 :)

djrjr, did you also check the battery cables for tightness, and any accessible grounds as well? Bad grounds in particular will cause bad data to the PCM, and bad decisions by the PCM.

Could also have a fault with an ABS sensor (wheel speed sensor), a common problem that would cause the wrench to come on in the prev gen Edge.

djrjr, did you also check the battery cables for tightness, and any accessible grounds as well? Bad grounds in particular will cause bad data to the PCM, and bad decisions by the PCM.

Could also have a fault with an ABS sensor (wheel speed sensor), a common problem that would cause the wrench to come on in the prev gen Edge.

I did check the battery terminals and they were tight. I didn't check any grounds though - the fact that it only happens while accelerating faster than normal while in Sport (hasn't happened in Drive yet) kind of made me think it was a software issue or potentially a faulty piece of equipment. I'm supposedly getting it back tomorrow (Friday) so we'll see. I'm still moving forward with the Lemon Law... even if it IS fixed the way the transmission shifts when this happens makes me cringe. It's only a lease but with the amount of time it's been in the shop (nearly 30 days) and all the miles I've had to drive back and forth and also the miles the service folks have driven it to try to get it to act up (200+ miles) makes me feel I'm entitled to something back from ford.

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings Ya'll,

I test drove a 2016 Edge Titanium last night and was blown away at much of it. I told the sales guy I needed to do a bit of research before doing the deal.

This mornings research netted THIS thread and all I can say is HOLY MOLEY! This issue seems to be a biggie, am I correct? There are threads on other ford forums about it too. Plus googling it nets some complaints too.

I know all cars have complaints on the interwebz but none of them seem to be as deadly serious at this guy! Has ford addressed and officially FIXED this issue? Is it happening to the 2016's that anyone knows of?

Any feedback on this issue will be most helpful.

Anything else (other snakes in the grass) I need to know about as well with the Edge?

Thanks,

Denicio

This I know but what exactly do I tell them to check for?

Exactly what lingo/buzz word do I say that's associated with this specific issue?

"He Service Man, please check the TK421 Uprade that gives this car more quads per channel".....that kind of thing.

If YOU were asking, how would you ask it, specifically.

Thanks