Interior Ambient LEDs

I finally got this project done for now, at least the front, still want to put some leds in the rear. Here are some pics. One 5mm led in each cup holder, and 6 inch led flex strips on each side of the the console. These are full power, I forgot that you can dim the dash lights.

post-36815-0-28095800-1441079214_thumb.jpg

post-36815-0-78105900-1441079253_thumb.jpg

post-36815-0-53985100-1441079277_thumb.jpg

Edited by pnwedge
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My friend and I are very interested in doing your interior light mod. I have a couple of questions. Would you mind sharing how to complete the install? Where did you tap into the power and which wire you tapped into for dash dimming, did you use a resistor or anything to regulate power etc.

Ā 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by onyxbfly

This was a very simple install. I just removed the silver trim from the center console, it's just clipped in. Then removed 4 star screws from the center console, the one with the cup holders. I did have to move the shift lever to Neutral or Drive to unclip the center part of the console from the middle climate control console panel. Once that was unclipped I had easy access for the mod. Watch out for the wire to the shift indicator as it is kind of short.

Ā 

Next I marked where the holes were to be drilled on the inside of the cupholders, about the 7:00 position. I used a uni-bit drill bit on my cordless drill and I think that the hole size was about a 1/4 inch or so, maybe a little bit bigger. I spliced into the LED light that lights up the tray cubby hole in the front of the console. You could also splice into the shift indicator light if you want. I then ran the LED strips through the opening on the sides of the console. They came as a 12 inch strip, but you can cut them to size, so it ended up about 8 inches when cut to size. I connected the 2 leds in the cupholder to the led strips, and then all of those wires to the positive, and negative wires to the led that lights up the tray on the forward side of the console. I used wire screws to hold the connection, and then used clear silicone glue to hold the leds in place in the cupholder. The total mod cost under $20!

Ā 

Oh yeah...all of the leds are dimmable by the dash lights on the instrument panel...they also come on when the doors open. :) I hope this helps.

P.S. The leds in the cupholder, and led strips are from Oznium.com

Edited by pnwedge
  • Like 2

Looks great. Does it have to be blue, I saw somewhere you can change the colors from the console screen. Just asking.

Ā 

My SEL did not come with the ambient light option. So I did my own DIY ambient light mod. I chose blue leds as it is easy on the eyes at night, and is also dimmable through the dash controls. You can use whatever color leds you want, this is just my mod, not the Ford factory one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Awesome mod and write up. I have the SEL also and think I will do this in the summer especially now that I see its so easy to splice in to make it dimmable. May even try using million colour leds to get the colour change option. I'm not sure if there is a Ford controller option that ties it into the MFT, would be great if there was so I could control it from the screen.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

When I dim my ambient lighting it return to full power the next time they come on....Ideas?

I never tried dimming mine, so don't know if its a common bug. Are you on the latest MyFord Touch update? Version 3.8? If yes, try to disconnect the car's battery for ~10 minutes to reset the electronics. If that doesn't work try a Master Reset for the Sync (center screen settings). If all these don't work, then I'd say you'll need to visit a dealer.