2012 Edge Hazard Lights wont shut off - switch discontinued

CatalinaTom

I purchased 2012 Edge SEL 5 months ago, love the vehicle, but the hazard lights wont shut off. The Dealer says the replacement module/ switch is discontinued (CT4Z18842BA) there is nothing he could do. Ford does not have a replacement for this part yet.

I have read posts on other forums with the same issue, some have had the system flashed? Others have had the newer style electro-mechanical switch installed with positive results. The Capacitive switch module seems to be a problem, thats why Ford is now using the old style mechanical switch on the newer models. The Zone Rep has not called back yet, holding my breath. ha.

Has anyone had this same problem? I'm looking for suggestions, other than a $25K boat anchor.

Unfortunately, this situation is not unique to Ford. Every auto company has similar issues. It's too expensive for them to keep part lines open. This is going to become a bigger issue nationally as we move forward with newer and newer tech oriented vehicles.

To give you an example

GM mandates parts are available 10 years after last production vehicle. But there are many 97-03 Corvette owners that now have a paper weight because the ABS and steering wheel sensors go out leaving the car inoperable.

My hunch is government will step in eventually. Either dictating parts that are inherent to safety systems be stocked for specific time period. Or they remove patent protection and put the information in open source for new parts makers to make.

Edited by Z51 LS3