Is a sputtering noise normal? (2.7L Sport)

WingNut

When i start the Edge a lot of times I hear a sputtering sound. Like air is escaping somewhere. This is my first Ecoboost engine so I wasn't sure if this was 'normal'. You hear it outside while idle after starting.

Below is a video I took. Due to being so close to the vehicle, it really magnifies the noise.

I dunno as I don't have an Edge yet. The one I test drove I don't remember that sound. And having owned a few german turbo v6s (including an older 2.7L TT Audi), I don't remember any such sounds. Does it come back at idle all of the time or is just when you start the car?

I'll have to pay closer attention. I just notice it when I start it and let it idle before taking off.

Definitely not the injectors because I have seen that "issue" on my Mustang (5.0) and my Ex's IS350. That is more of a clicking sound. This is more of a sputtering sound that sounds like air escaping from somewhere. I haven't crawled under to see exactly the location of the noise.

I'll try to locate the source this weekend.

When i start the Edge a lot of times I hear a sputtering sound. Like air is escaping somewhere. This is my first Ecoboost engine so I wasn't sure if this was 'normal'. You hear it outside while idle after starting....

A couple of questions; Has it always sounded like this or did it just start? Does it drive any different than when new? If it is a bit more sluggish I would have to guess the turbo outlet hose is loose and or leaking.

Edited by Chipster

A couple of questions; Has it always sounded like this or did it just start? Does it drive any different than when new? If it is a bit more sluggish I would have to guess the turbo outlet hose is loose and or leaking.

1. I have noticed this sound from the start.

2. Drives the same. It is not sluggish at all and the MPGs seem to be in line with everyone else. Threw it in "Sport" mode this morning and it gets up and goes like it should LOL

I didn't drive much this weekend so I didn't have time to check it out. When I did drive, I didn't hear it. So it seems to be intermittent

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is becoming an issue with my dealer it seems.

Had the car in there on the 16th of November. They say they'll have to replace the muffler, they ordered the part, and it'll arrive in a few days. Since I have a 2nd car I told them to keep the Edge for a few days. After 3 days nothing so I call and they say the part should have arrived, but it hasn't. I told them I'd just pick it up and call me when the part arrives.

So far nothing. I have called them multiple times and my service adviser just says: "It was ordered, but hasn't arrived.". So I just went over his head and called the parts department to see WTF is going on. Last week they tell me they ordered it, a shipping notice is sent to them, but it never gets shipped. Then they say the Ford Parts Depot received a batch of mufflers so it should be on the way. As of last Friday, nothing. Called today and they said there is a note on the order to contact order processing. So the guy in parts said he'd call me back today. Doubt it'll happen.

This dealer is close by but I have other options that aren't much further. It seems if they aren't prompted by receiving a shipment or receiving a phone call, they aren't proactive at all to get things resolved.

So almost a month later, still the same muffler. Come on Ford.

I think they may be prompted to move their a**es along if they have to pay for a rental. Maybe.

Since it doesn't have an affect on performance, I really don't have a reason to demand a rental. Even then, this dealer doesn't offer rentals on these types of repairs. The one bad thing about a lot of Ford dealers is their lack of loaners. I know of one local that offers loaners for $10/day (which they usually wave) but they have limited stock of loaners so you must be there early.

I have never had an issue getting loaners, however I think that is whats happens when you buy numerous cars from the same dealer and use them for all of your service work. I think they should realize that if they ask to keep your car for more than 4hrs they should offer a loaner. Most people don't have back up cars or the time to sit and wait.

I have never had an issue getting loaners, however I think that is whats happens when you buy numerous cars from the same dealer and use them for all of your service work. I think they should realize that if they ask to keep your car for more than 4hrs they should offer a loaner. Most people don't have back up cars or the time to sit and wait.

Maybe it is just this area or something...but it is not normal for the Ford dealer to offer a loaner. They'll shuttle you back/forth and that is about it.

Now if you buy a Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, NIssan, etc...you'll get a no loaner no problem.

• 10 months later...

The muffler finally arrived and had it installed today. So far so good.

Muffler or resonator?

If it is the giant suitcase thing in the middle of the car where two pipes head back to the actual muffler, that is the resonator. On the original video, I was going to say that's an exhaust leak. Probably like they said, a bad weld on the resonator and it isn't quite sealing.

Honestly, It'd be nice if an aftermarket company would make a resonator delete kit. They have them for Mustangs which have a similar resonator design.

Muffler or resonator?

If it is the giant suitcase thing in the middle of the car where two pipes head back to the actual muffler, that is the resonator. On the original video, I was going to say that's an exhaust leak. Probably like they said, a bad weld on the resonator and it isn't quite sealing.

Honestly, It'd be nice if an aftermarket company would make a resonator delete kit. They have them for Mustangs which have a similar resonator design.

They told me the muffler is what they replaced.