Major electrical problems after dead battery, no turn signals, Amber lights won't turn off

Z51 LS3

Hello, FE Forum!

Wish my first post was under different circumstances.

My wife's 2012 SEL Eco has been having off and on battery issues. Sometimes not driving for 8-12 hrs results in dead battery.

She was getting fed up with how unreliable the car was becoming, so I changed the first thing I know to - the battery.

Before this I attempted to jump it with my jumper pack. The jumper pack didn't have enough juice, so after I attempted to start it, there was this very fast clicking noise coming from driver side engine compartment.

I went and got new battery, mega tron 2 65, installed it, go to start it and it starts but I smell burnt fuses. Immediately notice that the sync was completely black, and inop, as were the flashers and a few others. I replaced the fuses that tested popped under the driver area. Looked at the high side and the fuses all tested good.

Hooked it back up to battery and started it and it turned over but with in a few minutes went to a low power limp mode. It eventually died.

Brand new battery was reading 9.4volts! Alternator was putting out 14, so it was good.

Check wiring harness and the 200amp circuit breaker on the battery terminal popped. Replaced that circuit breaker and charging system is up and good, car drives, AC, sync, everything is running good, except for the flashers, turn signals, and HIDS.

The passenger right Amber light (where it has "edge" engraved) is on non stop, unless I pull its fuse. The back driver side Amber light is also on non stop unless I pull its fuse.

The blinkers won't work at all, even though the instrument cluster shows them on and blinking.

While driving the passenger side HID is significantly brighter than the drivers side.

I've tested all the fuses and they all check out, pulled relays in the high distro box and they had no significant effect.

The CES light was on and threw a code for pcm write failure - too early. Cleared it but it's still showing as a "permenent code".

Do these edges have a seperate bcm? Or does the pcm control everything?

Thanks in advance, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Any aftermarket electronics (lighting, audio, alarm system, etc.) or replacement HID bulbs (assuming OEM HID on your Edge; 35W/55W) installed recently? The fact that the new battery (assuming not very old at time of installation) was 9.4V tells you right away that there is a drain on it right away, or it is a bad unit. Connections are good, clean & tight?

When you say the passenger side HID is brighter, is it "normal" bright or brighter than "normal"?

Any exposure to heavy rains/car washes/high water recently?

If everything else checks out: The BCM/SJB is separate from the PCM, and could be fried. It can, and has caused battery drain problems before. Also, if your Edge has the Battery Monitoring System, it needs to be reset to recognize the new battery so it can "smart charge" it properly.

Here's a recall for the 2011 Edge BCM:

Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX Recalled For Body Control Module

February 21, 2011 - Recalls - Tagged: 2011, edge, ford, Lincoln, MKX, Recall

a11Edge-Sport_02T.jpg

Ford is recalling 2011 model Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover vehicles to reinspect body control modules that were the subject of a previous recall.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): FORD / EDGE 2011 FORD / F-150 2011 FORD / F-250 2011 FORD / F-350 2011 FORD / F-450 2011 FORD / F-550 2011 LINCOLN / MKX 2011

Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Mfr’s Report Date: FEB 21, 2011 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V128000

N/A

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE

Potential Number of Units Affected: 8,022

Summary:
spacer.gif FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 FORD F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550, EDGE, AND LINCOLN MKX TRUCKS MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 25, 2010, THROUGH NOVEMBER 20, 2010. THESE VEHICLES WERE INSPECTED USING INTEGRATED DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM (IDS) THAT HAD A CUSTOM SOFTWARE ROUTINE TO READ THE SUSPECT BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) SERIAL NUMBER. BASED ON THE SERIAL NUMBER THE BCM WAS EITHER NOT AFFECTED OR REPLACED. THE CUSTOM SOFTWARE ROUTINE WAS NOT READING THE CORRECT SET OF CHARACTERS, AND WAS NOT ABLE TO IDENTIFY A BCM THAT REQUIRED REPLACEMENT AFFECTED BCMS MAY HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR AN INTERNAL SHORT.

Consequence:
spacer.gif IF AN ELECTRICAL SHORT DEVELOPS, AN OVERHEATING CONDITION MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE.

Remedy:
spacer.gif DEALER WILL INSPECT THE BODY CONTROL MODULE AND IF NECESSARY REPLACE IT FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT MARCH 7, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332.

Notes:
spacer.gif FORD SAFETY RECALL NO. 10S14. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thank you for response. The engine compartment did get wet recently. That morning I had a battery charger on the battery. I had wife snap a picture of the battery, she forgot to put hood down. It proceeded to thunderstorm after that.

I think it’s probably the body control module/lighting control module. I believe these are the same two parts. I can’t find apart number for it in the 2012s though. I found 2013 7S4Z-13C788-A, but that says its not compatible for 2012.