2.7 Liter Oil Change

xbillmh

The 2015s have IOLM and should not have a set interval like 8000 kms. Could be as high as 12000 kms or more.

I dont wait for the IOLM to change oil....I keep my own service/mileage log.

Make sure they actually put in what they say at the dealer. Their oil comes from bulk bins, and it's best to use a reputable dealer in that regard. Enough stories on this forum alone of incorrect oil, incorrect weight oil, etc. You wouldn't think this would happen at a dealer, but ...

Yes...big time. I actually demand to hang around while they do the oil change and watch what they put in it and all the checks they preform......15 years ago I had that exact thing happen and never again will I be so trusting with my engine!

• Like 1

I know but you said Ford recommends 8000 KM and that's not exactly true - they recommend going by the IOLM. It's perfectly ok to change it early, although it seems wasteful to me. But that's not what Ford recommends.

In the manual (pg 459) it says " 5000-7499 miles (8000-11999 km)" for severe use. Which I would say is logical given the nature of the turbo charged engine, stop and go driving....and lets face it, when I drive it....I get my monies worth out of the turbos....not to mention the -55 to + 30 temps we see here in canada.

Edited by cds71
  • Like 1

Or as my friend says who is a retired Ford transmission engineer - everything is severe service nowadays.

ROTFLMAO.....Thats me!!!! My wife knows me too well, thats why she insisted on the PC Esp for 6 years and 120,000km.

Mostly in the case of my patience LOL. People around here drive as slow as turtles caught in molasses nowadays. That'll really make you wanna gun the engine now & then if you have prodigious power available ;)

Same here...it drives me nuts when people drive under the speed limit....Pet peevvvee in the extreme.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great information, but I don't see the first steps of the process displayed in the attached images or the .pdf. Specifically, is there a shroud underneath the engine that needs to be removed to access the drain plug? I glanced underneath the car just for a second and didn't see an obvious place to access the plug. It looks like there may be more than one shroud piece underneath and I don't want to waste time taking off and removing covers unnecessarily. Thanks again.

There is no cover or shroud. When you slide under the Edge, the drain plug is easily accessible.

I'll be doing a write-up later with pics on changing the oil.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Changed my engine oil and oil filter and PTU oil today at 5.2K mi.

There was oil on the right rear corner of the oil pan, but I could not see where it came from and it was clear like new oil, so I'm suspecting that it was dropped when the engine was being topped up at the factory or dealer - cleaned it up and if I see more at the next service I'll lodge a warranty claim.

post-44162-0-11480200-1495323972_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-53245500-1495323989_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-69204900-1495324029_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-98409800-1495324062_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-69424400-1495324080_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-21590000-1495324110_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-44622600-1495324125_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

There was oil on the right rear corner of the oil pan, but I could not see where it came from and it was clear like new oil, so I'm suspecting that it was dropped when the engine was being topped up at the factory or dealer - cleaned it up and if I see more at the next service I'll lodge a warranty claim.

Might be an oil pan leak. Thats how mine started and then spread.

• Like 1

If you guys are really interested in baby'ing your turbos and engine, why not step up to a premium full synthetic? Most mainstream synthetics these days are not even fully synthetic thanks to the Mobil vs. Castrol Syntec lawsuit back in the late 90's that forever changed what the real definition of a synthetic is. Just keep in mind though that many of the premium synthetics are not API or SAE certified as they often utilize an additive package that is too robust and could potentially(not likely but within the realm of extreme possibilities) cause damage to sensitive emissions control components like O2 sensors and even the cats. Examples of premium synthetics are Amsoil Signature Series, Redline, Mobil 1 extended performance, and Pennzoil platinum. Of these, I believe only the Mobil 1 EP and Pennzoil platinum are API and/or SAE certified. I am currently running Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 right now in the Sport and run Mobil 1 EP in my Toyota.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Might be an oil pan leak. Thats how mine started and then spread.

My Sport will go in for its first service by Ford in about two weeks from now, and I wanted to clearly identify the leak before then, so A\about 1.5K miles back I cleaned everything in the area with BrakeClean and checked it out today and found the source of the oil to be what I assume is the oil pressure switch.

Is the oil pressure switch a typical leakage location?

post-44162-0-61235100-1501468392_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Sport will go in for its first service by Ford in about two weeks from now, and I wanted to clearly identify the leak before then, so A\about 1.5K miles back I cleaned everything in the area with BrakeClean and checked it out today and found the source of the oil to be what I assume is the oil pressure switch.

Is the oil pressure switch a typical leakage location?

Ford did "The Works" service this morning and confirmed that the leak is from what I assumed to be the oil pressure switch, which is actually a solenoid - they have ordered this and its seal.

FT4Z 6C880 B : SOLENOID ASY

FT4Z 8527 A : RING - SEALING

Can anyone tell me what this solenoid does?

post-44162-0-29242000-1502394267_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

My guess is that this is the selonoid that controls to flow of oil to the front or back side od the VCT actuator. It's controlled by the PCM.

The operation on the selonoid causes a differential change in oil pressure to rotate the camshaft actuator to an advanced or retarded position.

The workshop manual shows it as a oil pressure control solenoid. Fault testing sheet also confirms that its responsible for oil pressure readings.

That's sounds more plausible, based on the physical location of the device, down at the crankshaft.

My guess is that this is the selonoid that controls to flow of oil to the front or back side od the VCT actuator. It's controlled by the PCM.

The operation on the selonoid causes a differential change in oil pressure to rotate the camshaft actuator to an advanced or retarded position.

That's a description of the four devices located at the camshafts.

Edited by 1004ron

I have a question, the dealership posted a service reminder on my windshield for 5K miles - in the event of a warranty claim, can Ford refute the claim based on actual service intervals being 10K miles vs the dealership sticker being 5K miles?

post-44162-0-81559100-1502456507_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

The workshop manual shows it as a oil pressure control solenoid. Fault testing sheet also confirms that its responsible for oil pressure readings.

My Edge was checked in on Tuesday morning at the dealerships collision centre and that morning I called the service department to have them take care of this solenoid and the drivers side air bag recall, and they agreed.

This morning I called to check progress and the service department hadn't made any arrangements - the service advisor called late this afternoon saying that the tech that diagnosed the solenoid leak says it will take 6 hours so they cant fit it in around the collision centres activities - I told him that 6 hours to change the solenoid was BS and he has until tomorrow afternoon to get it done or I'll take it elsewhere.

This is the same service advisor that told me that the air bag safety recall was merely an "advance notice" and there's no parts available in the US, whereas as the service advisor that I've always dealt with in the past said that it is in fact a recall and that they have the parts in stock.

Will be talking to the manager to change service advisor's IF I stick with that dealership.