Tranny issues with front wheel drive?

velozp

Hello my mom has a 2010 FWD edge w/42000 miles. She can no longer drive ( 88 years old) . Its been trouble free so far. I have seen lots tranny issues on the net on 07-08 but seems to be less on 09-10. Just wanted to know if FWD edges are also prone to tranny issues. I may buy the edge or sell it. carcomplaints.com only reports 07-08 tranny issues. Did ford fix it from 09-10? Thanks

Hasn't been driven much, but I'd advise an initial drain-and-fill on the trans fluid. 3 times drain&fill will get close to all new fluid in the transmission. That should keep it working well. I do not advise a flush at this time, because of a] low mileage over the years, and b] likelihood of driving having been short trip/stop'n'go.

The trans really hasn't been as much of a problem. The real problem has been in the AWD Edge/MKX - the PTU giving out. Since your Edge is FWD, you should be quite safe.

And, welcome to the forum!

Why not use the cooler lines to replace almost all the fluid in one shot? It's not really a "flush" as nothing is added or forced into the transmission externally - it just naturally replaces old fluid with new fluid. The only difference is you get pure new fluid in one shot rather than diluted/mixed fluid with the 3x drain and fill method.

The difference is removing & reinstalling a drain plug vs getting into the lines, which one is which, etc. Simplicity, and probability of error-free process is what I am after for the average, everyday DIY mechanic.

BUT if the work is done by a trusted professional, or you are mechanically inclined, you could definitely go with the fluid cooler lines method.

• 3 weeks later...