EDU: Changing Oil in 2.7L Sport

WingNut

I will never use a quick lube place again. 2 different instances of problems.

1. Quick Lube forgot to reinstall under carriage rock guard. Found out when I got home. Oil was leaking from hole in filter underneath my vehicle. I had to buy another filter and install. When I went back to the Quick Lube place they tried to deny any wrong doing. I told them I could see my rock guard sitting on the edge near the oil drain area. They then ended up refunding my money. I never went back agian.

2. Jiffy Lube forgot to install limited slip differential gear oil. Truck made a terrible sound going around corners. I took the truck back and they would not do anything about it, saying that they did everything they were supposed to do. I told the manager that I was going to the dealer. I said if they find that the service work was not correct to expect a bill for the work. I went to the dealer and upon inspection they found that the diffs did not get limited slip diff additive. After they found that they also commented on the oil not looking correct in the manual transmission gear box, which I also had them inspect. After the dealer finding that, I told them to change out every fluid in the truck and service it. I told the dealer I could not trust any work the Jiffy Lube place did. The bill came up to over $500 to service every fluid in the truck. I took the bill to the Jiffy Lube place, which showed the comments about wrong fluid installed, and told them they were going to have to pay for the work performed at the dealer. The manager said he would not. I then got a hold of the regional office for Jiffy Lube and they sent me a check for the complete amount. After receiving the check, I went back into the Jiffy Lube place and completely tore the manager a new a$$. The vehicle was my wife's and I told him he placed my wife and kids in jeopardy by not servicing my vehicle correctly.

Now the dealer is the only place besides myself that will service any of my vehicles....

Edited by chicagoslick
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had my oil changed for the first time, 2015 Edge Sport, in Phoenix while on vacation in Feb. Went to a local Ford dealer with a Quick Lane. I am now home, 1300 miles away, and I am getting oil spots on my garage floor. The drain plug is apparently leaking. I will assume it is the O ring on the plug. I have a Harley and I always replace the O ring on my drain plugs. Has anyone looked into the size of the O ring? The O rings can be purchased bulk real cheap if you know the size. I will probably have to get another oil change to fix the leak.

I had my oil changed for the first time, 2015 Edge Sport, in Phoenix while on vacation in Feb. Went to a local Ford dealer with a Quick Lane. I am now home, 1300 miles away, and I am getting oil spots on my garage floor. The drain plug is apparently leaking. I will assume it is the O ring on the plug. I have a Harley and I always replace the O ring on my drain plugs. Has anyone looked into the size of the O ring? The O rings can be purchased bulk real cheap if you know the size. I will probably have to get another oil change to fix the leak.

Are you sure they tightened it all the way?

Are you sure they tightened it all the way?

Called my local Ford dealer and service department got me in early the next morning. The drain plug was tight. The drain plug was replaced and full synthetic oil. No charge. Service department told me to monitor for leaks. So far no leak.

• Like 2

I go to Xpress Lube Plus, but then again I have a "relationship" with the place since I go get my oil changed every month at their business and have been for over 10 years. This is the key to the whole oil change thing. Find a good place and then become a regular and reap the benefits. Would I go to Jiffy Lube NO. Their business model is based on the upsale like several other locations and names.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I had my oil changed for the first time, 2015 Edge Sport, in Phoenix while on vacation in Feb. Went to a local Ford dealer with a Quick Lane. I am now home, 1300 miles away, and I am getting oil spots on my garage floor. The drain plug is apparently leaking. I will assume it is the O ring on the plug.

Got my dealer to do the first oil change. After picking up the vehicle and going home I noticed there was engine oil spilled on the bumper. I then opened the hood and there was engine oil all over the engine cover, spilled on the headlamp housing, all over the engine surrounding the oil filter area. I then checked underneath and the entire oil pan was drenched, and there was oil on the under body cladding. I cleaned it up and stopped by the dealer the next day and spoke with the owner and he apologized and offered a free oil change and cleaning, I told him no thanks (I didn't want to clean up a mess a second time).

I couldn't understand how a tech could be that careless on a car that barely had 5000 km's on it. :headscratch: And the damn thing was shiny and clean when I dropped it off, so there is no excuse of "eh well the owner doesn't take care of it, so why should I" :swear::shrug:

Life lesson: If you want something done right, do it yourself. (as long as you know how)

That sucks! You should at the very least get a professional detailing done and charge it back to them.

Hah I wish, they probably would have refused to pay for one.

It's not unusual for dealerships to use high school kids for oil changes. Local told me they use them on some sort apprentice program as so few high school grads are willing to become auto mechanics.

That's surprising, they better be teaching them how to do things properly. Would hate to see peoples engines getting damaged from over/under filling, loose plugs, oil caps that don't get put back on. etc.

Probably a tech that screwed up and was hoping that (a) the service manager wouldn't notice and (b ) the customer was the type to not raise his hood.....ever.

I bet this happens more than we know and the customer never knows the difference.

Also, when getting a tire rotation, always mark a tire/wheel so you can verify that it has actually been rotated. On a few occasions I have come back to a set of wheels that are still in their same position as when I dropped the car off and there was a charge for rotation on the invoice.

For oil changes I always pop the hood and check the oil to make sure the color is right (IF I use an outside service to change my oil).

Edited by WingNut

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to post after changing the oil in my 16 Sport that the oil pan plug is different than what was posted.

Mine did not have a spot for a 3/8 drive ratchet. instead i grabbed it with vice locks and turned. I'm not fond of this design and as you can see, I somehow broke the little piece on the side. I'll buy a replacement but for now the broken piece didn't effect its ability to function.

I wonder why the change in design.

CE983D9D-B834-4DBC-B84E-0642A577938E.jpg

• 4 months later...

As long as the 2.7 has been out for and with the sheer volume Ford has sold, I am still surprised that there are no premium performance oil filter replacements for this motor from companies like Mobil or Amsoil so far. This is my first Ford that I have not been able to run such premium oil filters for due to unavailability. My Corolla runs a TRD filter, but that is because the Mobil 1 filters for that motor comes from China.

Of course there is if it will make you feel better!

Makes you feel better is silly if there is no objective benefit. Who knows the engine better than Ford and who has more incentive to ensure the filter is effective than the MFR who guarantees it for 60K miles?

I could understand if there was some type of performance gain, but there isn't.

Alan, that is the point exactly. Ford warranties it to 60k miles. Upto 150k miles depending on which ESP you buy. After that, it is all on the consumer. If you can get a better filter that has better filtering efficiency and less pressure drop as the filter accumulates mileage, wouldn't that be worth it?

Alan, that is the point exactly. Ford warranties it to 60k miles. Upto 150k miles depending on which ESP you buy. After that, it is all on the consumer. If you can get a better filter that has better filtering efficiency and less pressure drop as the filter accumulates mileage, wouldn't that be worth it?

Depends on whether you need better efficiency or less pressure drop. Will it really make a difference over the life of the vehicle? Or is it overkill? are you saying you can't get 200k or 300k with motorcraft filters and regular oil changes?