EDU: Changing Oil in 2.7L Sport

WingNut

I am simply saying everyone should use what makes them feel comfortable. I generally do not max out the life of extended drain filters so I like filtering efficiency. I would wager that it could be more important on a turbo engine along with better flow. Chances are that the electronics will probably nickel and dime the vehicle before the engine will, but why would it hurt when the cost is not all that much more?

That is exactly it. Different people feel comfortable doing different things. I still know people today who still change their oil every 3k miles no matter how much I tell them otherwise. Many of us hardcore performance enthusiasts only feel comfortable when we are running the best of the best. For instance I changed out the PTU fluid at 5k miles to the best possible gear lube on the market just to feel safer.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Moss-Magnusson act is the consumer's friend in this case, that should still provide protection in Europe, but can't say for sure. Barring any specific local laws/regulations (especially disposal of used products) you should be fine with DIY as long as you use products that meet the specified Ford spec, and use the appropriate change intervals (IOLM in the case of engine oil). Keep all receipts, and a journal of your work tho, if they question it. I don't DIY, for sundry reasons, but I do have a trusted shop do the work. They have the records, and I keep the receipts. HTH.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

AKirby and June make some good points. I use M1 oil and M1 filters exclusively in my vehicles. There is much debate about which is the best oil, the best filter, etc.. and is the M1 product better than OEM? Debatable. BUT, it makes ME feel better about MY vehicles and that is why > I < do it. And after all > I < am the only one > I < have to please, and yeah, > I < have the extra money to spend on MY vehicle. <harrumph>

Now, you kids grab an extra ice cream and run go have some fun on this beautiful Independence Day!

• Like 2

AKirby and June make some good points. I use M1 oil and M1 filters exclusively in my vehicles. There is much debate about which is the best oil, the best filter, etc.. and is the M1 product better than OEM? Debatable. BUT, it makes ME feel better about MY vehicles and that is why > I < do it. And after all > I < am the only one > I < have to please, and yeah, > I < have the extra money to spend on MY vehicle. <harrumph>

Now, you kids grab an extra ice cream and run go have some fun on this beautiful Independence Day!

Yes, but what is the best ice cream to enjoy on the 4th?

Sugar or cake cone?

:stirpot:

• Like 1

Hi all new here...quick question about the DIY oil changes, does it void the Ford warranty ? Or does anyone know of any issues with DIY servicing and warranty claims.

You can have anyone perform the required service, even yourself, if you follow the written instructions in your owner's manual. For 2016 it reads in part "Carefully following the maintenance schedule helps protect against major repair expenses resulting from neglect or inadequate maintenance and may help to increase the value of your vehicle when you sell or trade it. Keep all receipts for completed maintenance with your vehicle."

Remember, it's up to you to prove that you performed the maintenance at the proper time, and that it met Ford's requirements as published in the service manual.

Edited by enigma-2

• 1 month later...

On the topic of oil changes - My dealer offered the first 2 oil changes for "free" with the car, but looking at the specs they are using dino oil and not synthetic... do these 2.7L plants not favor synthetic? My last turbo car required it because of coking on the oil passages in the turbos and such. Just found that weird.

On the topic of oil changes - My dealer offered the first 2 oil changes for "free" with the car, but looking at the specs they are using dino oil and not synthetic... do these 2.7L plants not favor synthetic? My last turbo car required it because of coking on the oil passages in the turbos and such. Just found that weird.

Factory motorcraft is a synthetic blend as www points out (for all Ford vehicles not just turbos).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As long as the 2.7 has been out for and with the sheer volume Ford has sold, I am still surprised that there are no premium performance oil filter replacements for this motor from companies like Mobil or Amsoil so far. This is my first Ford that I have not been able to run such premium oil filters for due to unavailability. My Corolla runs a TRD filter, but that is because the Mobil 1 filters for that motor comes from China.

I bought some close out K&N oil filters from Walmart for $7 this week. Perhaps only my local Walmart is doing this, but in case anyone is in their local Walmart they might check. The book Walmart had to lookup the filter for my 2016 Edge Sport only went to 2015, but the K&N filter box listed Motorcraft FL2062 as a filter the ones I bought replaced.

I am not a proponent of K&N, but my understanding is they are good filters. Just FYI.

Thanks - Doug

• Like 1

I've been buying my Motocraft oil filters from Amazon for $8 and will most likely stick with them.

I can't see that a third party filter can offer superior performance to the OEM filter, if they improve the micron filtering it'll be at a pressure drop penalty, and if I happen to have a warranty issue down the road there'll be no arguments using OEM.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010QU0SPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bobstheoilguy.com did research on most all oil filters a few years back, tested them, tore them apart, etc. I remember that Motorcraft was 2ND best, along with AC Delco, but not MoPar (which is an aftermarket filter rebanded). Mobie One was the best, but at $12 or $15 ....

WIX wad good as well as NAPA Gold.

Fram was the worst (total garbage), as well as all the cheap stuff you buy at Wal Mart. (Allowed dirty oil to leak past, cheap construction, cheap materials).

All the other stuff was average. I think K&N is overrated.

Motorcraft is the best quality you will find at a good price. (No surprise there). Why spend more when it doesn't do anything more? (Assuming your changing your oil filter on schedule).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Your photos of each step of the oil change process were much appreciated (I used them when I did my very first change on my Sport)... however, I think you ended-up with the "mess" (oil) all over because of the way your oil pan was designed, and for no other reason.

The "target area" of your oil pan (the yellow area) is far too FLAT, for anything but a mess to happen. I know this because, many years ago (in the 1980's), I tried using a similar pan, and had similar (as in, messy) results. Hot oil will bounce/splash right off of that flat surface, instead of going where it's supposed to, simply because of the physics of it all.

Since the '80's, I've used a large oil pan that is about 6" deep... and never spill a drop... even when changing the oil on my Sport.

So, my advice to you, would be to get rid of that pan as soon as you can... and find a deep, "open"-style pan, and your messes will be a thing of the past.

As far as pouring oil all over the engine and engine compartment... there is simply NO excuse for that to happen, or especially, for the car to be returned to the customer in that condition!

I don't know how a place like that can remain in business! I surely would have taken it back to the manager and given him hell for it... but also probably would never have it done there (or any other real "repairs") again!

• 3 weeks later...

Bobstheoilguy.com did research on most all oil filters a few years back, tested them, tore them apart, etc. I remember that Motorcraft was 2ND best, along with AC Delco, but not MoPar (which is an aftermarket filter rebanded). Mobie One was the best, but at $12 or $15 ....

WIX wad good as well as NAPA Gold.

Fram was the worst (total garbage), as well as all the cheap stuff you buy at Wal Mart. (Allowed dirty oil to leak past, cheap construction, cheap materials).

All the other stuff was average. I think K&N is overrated.

Motorcraft is the best quality you will find at a good price. (No surprise there). Why spend more when it doesn't do anything more? (Assuming your changing your oil filter on schedule).

Been having great results with the BOSS oil filter by purolator. 200hr runs and particulates are way below average.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a 2017 fusion Sport which has the same engine. Automakers originally used these cartridge oil filters way back in the day. GM switched to these for their Ecotec engines in the early 2000s and I believe VW Audi used them earlier as well. Ford just recently switched over. It's a lot cleaner, but not less expensive. AC Delco PF457G is like 9 bux at Walmart and it is just a cartridge without o rings. FL500s is half that price and has the metal canister, adbv, etc...

• Like 1

I just got a 2017 fusion Sport which has the same engine. Automakers originally used these cartridge oil filters way back in the day. GM switched to these for their Ecotec engines in the early 2000s and I believe VW Audi used them earlier as well. Ford just recently switched over. It's a lot cleaner, but not less expensive. AC Delco PF457G is like 9 bux at Walmart and it is just a cartridge without o rings. FL500s is half that price and has the metal canister, adbv, etc...

I like the metal canister if its mounting orientation allows you to remove it without a major mess.

I buy OEM service parts from Amazon (Greenway Ford).

Motorcraft FL2062 Oil Filter

$7.52

• Like 2

• 1 year later...