New Sync Version (Gen2 - V3.8)

I believe 3.0 was a dealer installed upgrade only. It may require a new SD card for navigation and there may have been a possibility of bricking the system. I'm sure you can find more details if you do a forum search. It was a hot topic.

Sorry for not being specific but I am on v3.0.2 (12023). Not sure if that makes any difference.

Here is my update history as per ford:

post-45393-0-76549500-1487620653_thumb.png

Edited by zayg1994

Sorry I misread that. 3.5.1 required a new A4 SD card - dealer should provide that at no additional charge.

Im confused. So I need a new A4 SD card to update my system to v3.8 (15128)? I thought i just needed the direct download and a USB drive? I saw someone else on this thread accomplished that.

Im confused. So I need a new A4 SD card to update my system to v3.8 (15128)? I thought i just needed the direct download and a USB drive? I saw someone else on this thread accomplished that.

Did they go from 3.0.2 to 3.8? Or did they go from 3.5+ to 3.8? 3.5.1 required the A4 card. Later releases might be able to use either A3 or A4.

Did they go from 3.0.2 to 3.8? Or did they go from 3.5+ to 3.8? 3.5.1 required the A4 card. Later releases might be able to use either A3 or A4.

I dont think you get my situation. I am currently on v3.0.2 (12023). My System Info says A3 for maps but there is no SD card in the slot. Came like that when I purchased it this weekend. I am trying to update from v3.0.2 (12023) to v3.8 (15128). I go online and it says that I am up to date when I know I am not. That is why I am asking if I could somehow get the update as a direct download so that I can upload it to my USB stick and try it manually myself. Im trying to do this so that I can purchase the A7 map update SD card but it says I need to update my system first before I can purchase the SD card.

post-45393-0-99955100-1487623917_thumb.png

In that case contact FordIVTeam by PM or on facebook or twitter or call customer service and explain the situation and see if they can update your account so you can download 3.8. You may be able to find where somebody posted the updates but I would be very careful - you could brick the system completely with the wrong or corrupted files.

In that case contact FordIVTeam by PM or on facebook or twitter or call customer service and explain the situation and see if they can update your account so you can download 3.8. You may be able to find where somebody posted the updates but I would be very careful - you could brick the system completely with the wrong or corrupted files.

I PM'd FordIVTeam. Hopefully they can help.

p.s. I was told by my local ford dealer here at work that Id have to pay $120 for them to install it...!!

I had to do an update through my local dealer, didn't want to, but no choice. Asked the service agent and he said it was because they also had to update certain other systems before the Sync update, and that wasn't possible through the usual update process.

The $120 may not be for just a simple update.

Edited by enigma-2

I had to do an update through my local dealer, didn't want to, but no choice. Asked the service agent and he said it was because they also had to update certain other systems before the Sync update, and that wasn't possible through the usual update process.

That was my point.

That was my point.

Well actually my local dealer just told me it was going to be $60.00 per 1/2 hour of labor and they said it would take about an hour so that is why they quoted me $120.00 for updating the system. I don't know, I'll have to take it in anyway because the backup camera is not working properly. (Which I've read its an expensive fix as well...)

Edited by zayg1994

• 1 month later...

3.8 update was pulled off web for my 2015 Edge. I located the 3.8 update over on the Fusion Hybrid forum. Is it universal or does someone have a better download? Dealer was an idiot. He said $100 and it would take ALL DAY, not th 30minutes listed for DIY.

Shouldn't you ask yourself why they removed it?

It was removed because someone at Ford screwed up the DL and was using non nav for nav and thus people with nav were losing it and having to go to the dealer to get it back. So instead of just fixing it they shut it down and it has been down since.

It used to be one end user download for both but then they separated them (nav versus non-nav) and this evidently confused the people setting up the user downloads on the ford owner site.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

It was removed because someone at Ford screwed up the DL and was using non nav for nav and thus people with nav were losing it and having to go to the dealer to get it back. So instead of just fixing it they shut it down and it has been down since.

It used to be one end user download for both but then they separated them (nav versus non-nav) and this evidently confused the people setting up the user downloads on the ford owner site.

That is what I was told. So, I don't have nav. Think the download will work or stuck with a stupid advisor?

PS my 2015 Edge Compass is wrong. It will show the correct orientation while driving, ie.. N, SW, SE... but if you go due North it Shows East is left, west is right, Point south, backwards also, point east or west, yep N and S backwards. Ford says I'm crazy even though Dealers sent pics. does this drive anyone else nuts or do I in fact have the only Edge that doesn't know right from left? This was my main reason to download update.

Edited by MLTEdge

What does your screen say? Which way is north? You may have to push the compess on the screen to get it NOT to show map as North being up

I don't have nav. I'm referring to the bubble compass on the screen. When due North, it shows I'm pointed North, but that left would be East, and turning Right would be West. The needle is correct when going in the direction, but compass layout is backwards for East-West

I don't have nav. I'm referring to the bubble compass on the screen. When due North, it shows I'm pointed North, but that left would be East, and turning Right would be West. The needle is correct when going in the direction, but compass layout is backwards for East-West

It's normal and correct. If you look at an actual bubble compass the interior remains still while the outside rotates. So if you're facing North and you turn left (West), the indicator is actually moving towards the right (backwards).

It's normal and correct. If you look at an actual bubble compass the interior remains still while the outside rotates. So if you're facing North and you turn left (West), the indicator is actually moving towards the right (backwards).

Yea BACKWARDS! That's my contention. If you are going due N. Left is West, shows east. I agree it is correct in direction pointing while traveling, but is not correct as the dial of a compass. No other car I own shows left as East, no smartphone app, nor hand held compasses. I agree this is across all Edges, expect I haven't jumped into a 2017 yet to see.

post-45887-0-70301100-1490972829_thumb.jpg

The compass in the MFT screen represents a ball compass, like what Akirby stated, it is correct. See the below video & see how when the car is pointing South & turns to the right (West) the compass turns the the other way to indicate the correct direction (East). The directions on the compass are located in the correct positionfor a ball compass.

https://youtu.be/r7DPEskWlrk

Edited by omar302

Yea BACKWARDS! That's my contention. If you are going due N. Left is West, shows east. I agree it is correct in direction pointing while traveling, but is not correct as the dial of a compass. No other car I own shows left as East, no smartphone app, nor hand held compasses. I agree this is across all Edges, expect I haven't jumped into a 2017 yet to see.

Look at the video Omar posted. Every ball compass ever made HAS to be that way or it simply won't work.

Here is an analogy:

Picture a 55 gallon drum with the directions painted on it. As you walk around the drum (facing the drum) it tells you the direction you're facing. If you're facing North and you walk around to your right (counter clockwise) you're now facing West therefore the right side of the drum says West, not East.

If you were inside the drum then it would look the way you expect - West would be on the left.

Edited by akirby

Just for clarification, this is what a ball compass looks like. Note that east is to your left, West to your right. When you turn left (turn west) the compass magnet remains pointing to the north, but turns in the opposite direction 1/4 turn. Therefore, as you turn, you turn counterclockwise while the compass turns clockwise.

post-32762-0-52015200-1490988598_thumb.jpg

Edited by enigma-2

I stand corrected, thanks. Now I wish it had the option to be a standard compass! Oh well, I'll just live with it.

Back to my original question, I have a download for original ver 3.8 from Fusion forum. I don't have Nav. Do you think I can do the update or stuck paying a dealer?

If you don't have NAV, then you should not have any problems. If both, the Fusion & and Edge have NAV, then also no problems, in case the Fusion did NOT have Nav but the Edge does, there is a small chance of losing NAV. That's what I understood from this whole update becoming dealer only. Also, note that there is a 3.10 version available at dealers. So if you are still under warranty, just take it to the dealer to get the 3.10 version.

Hi guys

My name is Gabriel, I am from Venezuela, I own a ford explorer 2012 3.5L. Unfortunately in my country very few things serve the ford dealers, wanted to update myford toych sync and failed, lamentablemnte I can not download the update file because my VIN series does not appear in the database of vehicles sold in US and I do not Lets create an account and be able to access and download the update file ....

Who could please upload the file of the last update would thank you.

Thanks in advance. Blessings!