Headliner Overhead Rattle - Vista Roof

Rextang

Ok, I got my Edge back yesterday morning. So far so good, it has been perfectly quiet so far. I do not know what the very newest TSB is, or what it said to do, as I do not have any paperwork from my dealer. When I picked it up, they told me they were leaving the paperwork open for right now, and to drive it for at least a week and check back in with them. If the noise seems to be gone, they will then close out the paperwork, and send me a copy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Edge back after 1½ days. They did TSB16-0053. Just to be sure, I asked them what was the procedure exactly. They mentioned using some short screws and the rest was unclear. So, can someone post TSB16-0053? On the short drive back home, no rattle.

They also did TSB15-0166 (cooled seats). I still have to check that one out when it gets warmer.

Follow up...

Today, the service department replaced a ceiling handle they broke last time while removing the liner. On my drive back home, guess what was back: the "thought it was fixed" rattle !!!

I'll check with them on TSB16-0079 brought up by DougS.

BTW, it would be useful when we get a TSB applied to our car to ask for a copy later shared on this forum.

• 1 month later...

Well, count me in, rattle in my 2016 Sport. I only have 3,000 miles on it. Happens when it hot or cold but mostly over bumps at slower speeds. Dealer tried to fix it once and rattle was still there with a new annoying noise over my head by drivers window (mentioned in this thread by another poster). I even mentioned that my dash now has a squeak in it over some bumps.

Super frustrating as I'm sure with the rest of you, noises like this drive me absolutely crazy!

Will call dealer and ask about the TSBs

@DougS... what dealer did your repairs?

Edited by drober30

I would like to personally wish all of you good luck with your rattles as I doubt that any of you will ever be satisfied. I am not trying to be mean but stating a fact. I have been dealing with the same problem for months now and have posted in here before. The car doesn't rattle per se but it creaks and makes noise when it vibrates over slow speeds bumps and on other roads. I have had all of the current TSBs done. I finally got fed up and made a complaint to Ford. My dealer has been great through all of this and even got an engineer down to inspect the car. I went for a ride with my tech and the engineer and they confirmed the noises that I hear, including the gas sloshing around in the tank when I stop. We then took a new car off the lot and drove that one over the same roads, guess what, it was worse than mine. Final conclusion is that the noises I constantly hear are normal for the characteristics of the vehicle. Bottom line they concluded that if they continue to try and mitigate the noise it could make it worse, the headliner has been out twice already. The ford customer service rep gave me a free 5/75k extended warranty so I took that and will move on once it's out of warranty. I will say that after being a loyal Ford owner having owned 15 and currently owning three, I have purchased my last Ford or American vehicle.

From my own past experience, I found my creeks originated from rubber bushings on the torsion bars. (But I would imagine any rubber bushing could by responsible).

Way I found mine, was to crawl partly under the front end and have the better half rock the car up and down. Used spray silicone between metal and rubber to silence. Had to repeat so should have used a good grease, but it does work. As your dealer can't help, wouldn't hesitate to take charge and put an end to it.

My original moonroof rattle is still gone, it stopped after the dealer performed the last TSB on May 7th. Even though I kept calling it a rattle, it was more like a creaking noise, but so far so good with it. Now since the headliner was out something like 4 times, I do have a rattle above the sunglass holder and I still have that jingling type noise above my head (maybe from a magnet, I've been told?). I have not had the car back to the dealer to have these addressed yet, I was waiting for the next oil change. I too have also heard the sloshing gas noise in my Edge and told the service adviser about it, he told me it was a normal sound due to some way the gas tanks are built??? He explained it out to me, but I don't remember what he said, even if I understood it then?

My original moonroof rattle is still gone, it stopped after the dealer performed the last TSB on May 7th. Even though I kept calling it a rattle, it was more like a creaking noise, but so far so good with it. Now since the headliner was out something like 4 times, I do have a rattle above the sunglass holder and I still have that jingling type noise above my head (maybe from a magnet, I've been told?). I have not had the car back to the dealer to have these addressed yet, I was waiting for the next oil change. I too have also heard the sloshing gas noise in my Edge and told the service adviser about it, he told me it was a normal sound due to some way the gas tanks are built??? He explained it out to me, but I don't remember what he said, even if I understood it then?

Doug same here on the gas it has to do with the baffling or something like that. I call BS on Ford, there is no way you should here this in a 40,000 car. It's most noticeable with about a 3/4 tank. And less noticeable when the tank is completely full or almost empty.

I have a 2015 Edge and had the entire roof liner replaced due to manufacturing defect last year.

I have a rattle that is in the midpoint of the roof on the passenger side that seems to occur most often when I am driving on the freeway in windy or buffeting winds. The rattle is there whether the roof is open or not. I noticed that the side panels next to the roof are very loose and there is a potential for wind to get underneath those panels and cause the rattle. I mentioned this to my dealer, when he had the vehicle for almost 5 days and they say there is no rattle. I listened to that rattle on and off for two weeks while on a driving trip and it is very aggravating.

I am experimenting with some foam to see if I can stablize those panels and eliminate the rattle, will followup

• 3 weeks later...

I finally had my knocking noise/rattle fixed which was coming from the drivers back seat area above the grab handle.

It was escalated to a field engineer who assisted the tech over the phone.

The fix was: "Roof was contacting left rear assist handle bracket. Found that weld was incorrect in its location adjusted roof assembly away from rear bracket and filled with insulation so no contact would occur."

There is still a squeaking noise that comes from passenger side dash area which can be temporarily fixed by pressing down on the dash in that area and there is an annoying rattle above my head in the headliner that was reported but not fixed.

So disappointed in this $50k Ford Edge! My dealer is great but taking the car in is such a hassle!

• 4 months later...

Ford Edge 2016 SEL - same problem, rear right passenger, near the roof handle. Has less than 6 months.

Creaks and rattles appearing all over the vehicle.

So much for the quality manufacture.

Maybe 50.000 USD is not enough for Ford to create a car that at least feels as a quality vehicle?

Edited by Damir Čolak

• 4 years later...
On 5/28/2016 at 10:45 PM, DougS said:

For anyone that is interested, my Edge is still rattle free as of today, (3 weeks since repaired), so the newest TSB seems to have worked for me. I finally got a copy of my paperwork, and it states TSB 16-0079 was performed.

Many years later…same issue on my 2018 Edge Sport at 44k miles. No TSB for my model year though. 

My question to those who had this issue fixed through the dealer, was it worth it? Did it create any other issues from having the headliner out/seals replaced/etc? My only concern is letting the dealer start down this rabbit hole and make the initial issue worse or not fix the initial issue and create others in the process. Thanks everyone in advance 

On 8/19/2016 at 2:37 PM, drober30 said:

I finally had my knocking noise/rattle fixed which was coming from the drivers back seat area above the grab handle.

It was escalated to a field engineer who assisted the tech over the phone.

The fix was: "Roof was contacting left rear assist handle bracket. Found that weld was incorrect in its location adjusted roof assembly away from rear bracket and filled with insulation so no contact would occur."

There is still a squeaking noise that comes from passenger side dash area which can be temporarily fixed by pressing down on the dash in that area and there is an annoying rattle above my head in the headliner that was reported but not fixed.

So disappointed in this $50k Ford Edge! My dealer is great but taking the car in is such a hassle!

Do you know if they dropped the headliner to find this root cause? I am assuming yes. 

I have a 2018 with the same issue and I’m certain it is body or glass related as it id more of a creaking than rattling and happens specifically over bumps and turns of the body. My dealer seems willing to help tackle the issue and I want to help point them in the right direction.