Homelink visor installation

Next week I will be installing a Home-link visor in my wife's 2011 Ford Edge SEL.

Our Edge is loaded, but did not come with an Home-link installed.

Home-link seems to be only available on the Limited and maybe Sport models.

So we have been using a garage clicker clipped on the visor, since a new Home-link visor from Ford cost nearly $400.00. :(

It took nearly a year of searching Ebay, but a used Home-link visor from a 2012 Ford Edge finally became available for a little over $100.00 and it is in very good condition. :yahoo:

So I will be installing it next week when I get some time.

For what I read it should be a simple plug and play install, so we will see.

I will post some pics and instructions for anyone else who may what to also install Home-link in their Edge.

Here is my visor I got in the mail today.

10091517471_zpscjojf9jp.jpg

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 2

You can also retrofit any visor homelink module from any vehicle. The only tricky part is getting the fabric off and back on in one piece. You can power it from the vanity mirror wiring. And you may need to dremel out a hole for it although I think the newer visors have the space molded in already.

I paid $37 for mine several years ago for my 06 Fusion. It was a Maxima visor.

• Like 1

You can also retrofit any visor homelink module from any vehicle. The only tricky part is getting the fabric off and back on in one piece. You can power it from the vanity mirror wiring. And you may need to dremel out a hole for it although I think the newer visors have the space molded in already.

I paid $37 for mine several years ago for my 06 Fusion. It was a Maxima visor.

Thanks for the information.

I was looking at retrofitting a transmitter from a another car(mirror or visor) or cutting the sun-visor and mounting a universal unit, but just decided to wait for a OEM one since I like having a clean OEM look to my accessories.

I am picky like that.

Plus, i hate dealing with cutting and stringing wires into things that are very visible since I am very picky about flaws

Man, that HomeLink stuff eats batteries for breakfast ;)

I have not considered that. :doh:

However, i do charge my car batteries every month so i should be ok.

Edited by carguy75

Recently purchased a Homelink garage door remote from eBay and installed it in the driver's side visor. Just be careful opening up the visor cover. Start at the center end of the visor and you only have to peel back about 1/3 of the visor cover. Tap into the visor light wiring, program it to your opener and done. About $30 total for a visor Ford is charging more than $300 for. Can't tell it's not factory.

Edited by snake456

Yes, it is simple plug & play. Did on my 2011 MKX as we don't get the home link transmitters on any Ford or Lincoln in our region.

Weird about the Home-link option or lack of.

Ford is funny like that as my car has automatic rain sensing wipers, blind spot monitoring, panoramic sun roof, premium My-touch sound/display,AWD, parking sensors, etc. but no home-link device.

Well that problem will soon be solved.

The hardest part will be pulling down the headliner to get to the green power connector for the visor it seems from what i read on the job.

Thanks for confirming that it is plug and play.

Headliner removal takes seconds (you really only need to remove A pillar cover.

I did mine for under $40 and took under an hour.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12674-adding-homelink-rear-view-mirror-to-2012-ford-edge-sel/

Here's a good (older) write up from a Ford Edge:

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4074

Just a note, my visor home link plastic had to be cut out (the lines were molded in the plastic) with a blade. The plastic is soft and easy to cut through.

• Like 2

Headliner removal takes seconds (you really only need to remove A pillar cover.

I did mine for under $40 and took under an hour.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12674-adding-homelink-rear-view-mirror-to-2012-ford-edge-sel/

Here's a good (older) write up from a Ford Edge:

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4074

Just a note, my visor home link plastic had to be cut out (the lines were molded in the plastic) with a blade. The plastic is soft and easy to cut through.

Nice job!!!

Your install look very OEM and clean.

Not bad for only $40. :)

So it really is plug and play - headliner doesn't need to be removed.

Correct, not the entire head liner.

Just the area around the A-pillar has to be pulled down to access the visor plug.

I should have typed remove the A-pillar and pull down a part of the headliner to access plug. :doh:

Correct, not the entire head liner.

Just the area around the A-pillar has to be pulled down to access the visor plug.

I should have typed remove the A-pillar and pull down a part of the headliner to access plug. :doh:

Gotcha. I thought the plug was accessible via the mounting hole.

Well I did it !!!

It took about 10 minutes to do the install.

The only problem is that the white plastic mounting tab is kind cheap and mine had a piece break off but it still works.

The visor screws are Torx 20.

Here is some pics and quick how-to.

First I removed the cover with a panel tool to expose the two screws for the visor mount.

Next I pulled the driver side pillar off.

Then I removed the two visor mount screws with a torx 20 bit.

Next I pulled down the weather stripping around the door opening.

Then I pulled down the left section of the headliner to expose the green visor power connector.

Next I pulled the glued green visor connector free from the headliner and unplugged the old visor and then plugged in the new visor.

Checked the vanity mirror/home-link buttons to make sure it has power/function.

Then I reinstalled everything in reverse order.

Last I cleared the home-link memory(pressing the two outside buttons at the same time) and programmed the unit.

Done.

10121518091_zps8fkhxmoh.jpg

1012151809a1_zps9qyvawoq.jpg

10121518121_zps9c3yby4x.jpg

10121518141_zpsfb92ia3b.jpg

10121518301_zpsz56onezb.jpg

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Just to keep an old thread alive

I have a 2011 SEL, No home link, but wanted it. After reading here on the forum, sounded like something that could added fairly cheap.

Looking on eBay, a visor with the home link was (new) over 300, used maybe 150. So I just went with the option 2 and went to a local junk yard and purchased a Homelink transmitter from a Ford car. no biggy 5 bucks

I was worried about separating the fabric on the visor so back to eBay I went to find an "extra" visor with illumination just incase I botched the install on my visor. Found one for 30 bucks, free shipping.

the part arrived yesterday and I got lucky, the used visor (in super good condition) came with the transmitter.

The install was literally unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

I guess I was lucky on the price point. But when looking on EBay, look at the pictures, the salvage yards usually have that disclaimer that the picture may not reflect the part you will actually get, but in this case it did.

Very nice and very inexpensive.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So...I have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL and would love to get rid of these damn bulky garage door openers after reading all these home link posts. My visors do have the vanity light and from what I am reading, all I have to do is plug this home link visor into the plug for the lighted visor that is in the A-pillar? If so, I am so doing this!

I've not done this on an Edge, but have done it on several other cars. Yes, all you do is buy a homelink sun visor off Ebay, take down the old one and install the new one in its place. There ar ed some that look simular, so best to make certain that you get one from the same model and year car.