VBOX TESTED: 0-60 vs. RPM Launch

GT500R

Hey guys,

So based on the previous topic of VBOX test sport vs. drive -> http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/18909-vbox-tested-drive-vs-sport-0-60/ (which still holds true after retesting tonight) I wanted to understand what the best 0-60 would be from an RPM launch perspective.

Specs -

2015 Edge Sport

100% stock with 2800 miles on the clock

Rune performed in SPORT with 1/2 tank of 93 octane

I didn't catch the exact DA, but was around 55* and close to sea level.

First run was in Drive just a a warm up, then two runs were made there after in each direction and valid best runs were taken to compare

Results below -

bCsCU7s.png

Now if you are like me, you said.... wait how did the lowest RPM get the fastest? And I thought the same... so I dug into the graphs and what I remember feeling when launching. I remember 1500 wasn't as bad as 2000 rpm in terms of smoothness when I let go of the brakes. It's like the car jumped for a split second, had to catch up and then go. 1000 rpm was just smooth, no catching up, no small bog... So I checked the graphs (on the right side of the pic above). And as you can see, the green line (Lateral G's) goes to the first high point quicker in the 1000 rpm graphs (the line is the same size to compare them across) then the other two runs... interesting...

So conclusion is 1000 rpm is the best launch point for a 2015 Edge Sport based on the data I have.

Questions, comments, etc. welcome. Now I am thinking the next test can be a 87 octane vs. 93 octane. Or a tune if Livernois ever releases it!!! :P

• Like 3

Did you have traction control on or off? I would suspect the slower times with higher RPM (and the fluctuation in Lateral G's) was due to the traction control engaging. If traction control was on, did you notice the light coming on during the runs? more/less with the different RPM runs?

• Like 1

Did you have traction control on or off? I would suspect the slower times with higher RPM (and the fluctuation in Lateral G's) was due to the traction control engaging. If traction control was on, did you notice the light coming on during the runs? more/less with the different RPM runs?

You can turnoff traction control on the 2015 Edge? If so how do you do it?

Traction control was on for the runs, didn't notice the light come on as any point in time, my "private track" isn't the worse road, but isn't the best.

You can turnoff traction control on the 2015 Edge? If so how do you do it?

In "drivers assist" I believe in on the left hand side of the gauges...

Turning off traction control can be important even in AWD cars, such as when stuck in mud or deep snow (the manual directly states this). Also for those who want more control in drag racing/autoX'ing situations (not in the manual).

My response meant that turning it off makes no difference in this vehicle. There is no wheelspin with or without traction control as the AWD doesn't really allow it on dry pavement in a straight line.

And I'm not sure how turning it off would help you in a drag race situation? I thought the goal was to limit wheelspin.

A couple of things that I noticed doing some "testing" last night on my wife's Sport:

-I turned off traction control. With the car brake torqued to the stall speed, the front wheels would chirp and I could feel some rotation, maybe a quarter turn, before the power was directed rearward. I am sure if I had TC on that it would have cut power for a split second.

-The stall speed of the torque converter is about 2,500 rpms.

So it would be interested if you re-tested your vehicle with traction control off and increasing the launch speed to ~2,500 rpms.

AWD would probably allow the Edge to have a quicker 0-60 time due to better traction than the FWD model, especially with traction control off since traction control still cut power to minimize wheel spin even with AWD.

So it matters if you have AWD or not.

Power loss is the reason why you still have to turn-off traction control in the winter when trying to drive on ice/snow even with the AWD models.

Edited by carguy75