Heater not working, what should i be checking?

Brian Adame

The last 2 years my wife complained about the heater occasionally not working on one side of the car ( I think drivers but cant recall now), but after a day or 2 it would go back to normal. We took it in to service a few times but they could never replicate the issue. Now we our out of warranty and the heater has completely quit on us. This is on a 2012 Ford Edge SEL 3.5 w/ MyFordTouch. Fluid levels are good. I pulled the actuator and manually moved the blend door linkage on the passenger side and I can feel cool AC and heat when moved back and forth. I left the motor plugged in and tried playing w/ the climate settings and noticed the motor does not move at all. I'm inclined to replace the motors but I'm also a little worried that it might be something else as I find it odd that both sides are not working. Is there anything else i can check to verify if the problem lies somewhere else? If anyone knows the pinouts for the plug or motor I can test it w/ a multimeter or try sending 12v down the motor and see if it moves then? My other concern is that I havent pulled the drivers side yet but I know in some cases (like window switches on my Dodge) if something on the drivers side goes out it kills the whole circuit, so maybe just the drivers side motor is bad but affecting the passenger side? Anyone know if it works that way on Fords? I appreciate any help.

Edited by Brian Adame