Sudden Loss of Engine Power

ldw1935

This is a 2013 Ford Edge Limited w/V6 engine. While driving, there is a sudden loss of engine power, the engine goes to a rough idle, all the warning lights come on and there is no throttle response. After shutting everything down, the engine will finally restart after several attempts and run normally. This has happened multiple times, the last time while driving on the Interstate. The vehicle has been into the dealership 6 times for repair. So far, the throttle body was replaced, a sensor was replaced, the accelerator pedal was replaced and some wiring was replaced. The last time the problem occurred, the vehicle was returned to me after the dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. I subsequently returned the vehicle to the dealership because as far as I am concerned, it is totally unsafe to drive. I then contacted the Ford Customer Relationship Center and was assigned a case number. The Ford regional service manager assigned to the case was totally ineffective, finally telling me that because the dealer was unable to duplicate the problem there was nothing further they could do and I should come and pick up the vehicle. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, and if so, how was it resolved?

Checked codes? Any error messages on the display? The usual culprits are:

Ā 

A) Bad throttle body (may or may not set a code)

B] Bad wheel sensor

C) Bad TSS/OSS sensors

Ā 

On this forum, you have to have at least 5 posts to use the PM service. FordService (Tricia) is our rep for non-electronics (Sync/MFT/etc) issues.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Just thinking out loud, inasmuch as the dealer is unable to duplicate the problem, wonder if it would be possible to plug in a code reader and record what actually happens when this fault occurs.

Perhaps a reader plugged into the car's socket and connected to a tablet (or whatnot). Would anything like this be possible?

The dealer has hooked up a recorder and monitored the vehicle several times, having kept and driven it several days, but the problem would not occur while the recorder was hooked up. From the research I have done online, it looks like this is not a new problem for the Edge. I am in the process of going the BBB route to resolve the issue.

Or a corroded electrical connection. The signal gets though at times and not at others.

I was a Marine, airwing, helos. in Vietnam we had a CH46 we nicknamed the hanger queen. Was down for weeks. Tried to find the problems, replaced every black box in the circuit. Would get engine start sometimes and not others. Unrelieable. Finally called in the Boeing tech rep. Took him only two hours, was a corroded pin on the connection to one of the generators. Cleaned it with a bottle of Coke and it functioned perfectly afterwards. We (avionics shop) should have fold it, but couldn't see the trees for the forrest.

• 2 months later...

Took a while but Ford finally resolved the problem for us by buying the vehicle back. This was done through the BBB Auto-Line and was accomplished through

the mediation stage and we did not have to go through arbitration. Under the California Lemom Law rules, we got back just shy of 90% of what we paid for the car, including tax and license, based on the miles we had on the car when we took it to the dealer after the first incident. Bought a new 2016 Honda CR-V Touring and still had $2K left over.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Took a while but Ford finally resolved the problem for us by buying the vehicle back. This was done through the BBB Auto-Line and was accomplished through

the mediation stage and we did not have to go through arbitration. Under the California Lemom Law rules, we got back just shy of 90% of what we paid for the car, including tax and license, based on the miles we had on the car when we took it to the dealer after the first incident. Bought a new 2016 Honda CR-V Touring and still had $2K left over.

Ā 

Good that your problem was solved.

Ā 

Just wondering what Ford will do with the car ... reselling to another customer?

ldw1935,

Ā 

I'm going through the same thing at the moment with the same symptoms. I just picked up my Edge after being told by the dealer that I'm sh... out of luck since they cant reproduce the error after having it for a week. I have a vehicle health report that states its an emissions issue and to get it to the dealer and video of the problem as its occuring but they wouldnt even bother to take a look.

Ā 

I'm in the process of contacting Ford directly to see what they say. If needed, I will be going the same route as you and going to the BBB.

Ā 

I really like my Edge but at this point it is not safe to put my family in the vehicle.

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem it turned out to be the purge canister valve at the dealer its a $300 dollar repair but if you have $150 and ten minutes you can go to autozone and buy the part its on the fire wall and has two bolts holding it in and one hose and a electric connection after o changed mine i stopped having the issue hope this helps

• 3 months later...