Impressions of the 2.7L

theoldwizard1

• 5 weeks later...

I've had mine two days. I moved from a 2012 Charger R/T Max to a 2015 Edge Sport. The 2.7 is Quick, it's on par or only a tic or two shy of the Charger. The difference is it is SMOOTHER, less drama. If you stood on the gas of the Charger just a bit too much the techno nannies would kick in and pull throttle out. Very annoying when you are trying to pull out into traffic. The Edge is deceptive. First time I took it on the freeway I was behind another car merging, thinking to myself, let's go man! Made my way to the fast lane only to find another car "poking" along. That guy moved over and I looked down to see my speed before getting on it and found myself doing 80!

I'm hoping the tuners can "unlock" the 2.7 with success like the 3.5.

• Like 1

I'm hoping the tuners can "unlock" the 2.7 with success like the 3.5.

They have, on the order of +100hp or so:

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/2015%252b-2.7-Ford-Edge-Sport-MyCalibrator-tuning-device.html

A few guys on here have already installed and put up some good initial reviews. Will probably pick one up myself sooner than later. :)

I almost bought an Explorer sport because of the tunes they have for that. But I have a 2005 Excursion with a warmed up 6.0 PS and don't need another 3 row vehicle. I'm going to give the Edge a few thousand miles before I look at a tuner. The other issue I have is how it will affect the warranty. Before I left the dealer they had me sign on and make an account for My Sync and set up my phone. I didn't thing of it at the time and my be paranoid but I wonder if they can monitor everything I do to the car through that link. If so I will be disabling it on my phone.

Edited by Gearjamer

I am interested to know if those of you that bought a Sport primarily use the "paddle shift" for transmission function, or do you use it only occasionally and mainly leave it in "D"?

For me, I generally leave it in D and use the paddle shifters to gear down on a hill. Works well since it will hold the gear as long as there's compression braking resistance from the engine, then goes back to auto shift once I get to the bottom of the hill.

I use them when I'm "playing". In general they are just a fun option if you want to hold a gear through a corner. If you shift the transmission in to "Sport" without using the paddles it will still shift on its own (stay automatic) but it will hold the gear a little longer, down shift sooner (at a higher rpm), and Max shift point will be a little higher. If you use the paddles it will hold the gear till you hit redline, then it will shift up. But the trans will also hold the gear way low and not down shift. I don't know how to get it out of the "manual mode" without shifting back into drive. If you use the paddles while it is in drive it will shift the gears. But if you don't use the paddles for a short bit it will go back to normal auto.

Edited by Gearjamer