Dim Headlights on 2011 FOrd Edge

I noticed after the summer that the headlights on our 2011 Ford Edge are dim.

I have never experienced something like this on another car. Granted, at some point the bulb will go out, but not dim.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

When I look into the lens it almost seems that there is a film of dirt inside (behind the round bubble) - not water condensation.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer is not much help...

Looks like some other folks had simialr issues. However, fromt his thread I woudl assume they had the issue from the factory;

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10977-headlights-in-my-2013-edge/page-3

I do think the light was better when new. I had to spend money for a HID upgrade or similar to get at least basic average light output. To me this is a safety issue.

That bulb appears to be the same as the original bulb that I pulled. I think it is as good as any standard bulb.

At this point I do not think the problem is the bulb, rather a lens quality issue.

Does the stock bulbs have the Philips logo on them?

Just because it looks like the same bulb does not mean that it performs the same.

I will take a look at my stock bulbs and see if it is made by Philips or not.

I think that my Edge has plenty of light for a non-HID equipped car hence why I have not changed the factory bulbs out.

I would like to find a HID-look replacement bulb, but most are blue flim-tinted 9012 bulbs that are cheaply made which are dimmer than the stock bulbs from what I have researched.

The Philips bulbs seem to be the only real upgrade for brighter output for 9012 bulb equipped cars from what I researched without using a HID kit.

Edited by carguy75

Well, Philips have made about 3 generations of the 9012 bulb, so I do not know if we have the best version equipped as OEM in our Edges compared to the retail bulbs available in the stores.

My Edge is a 2011 model so I bet that I do not have the latest version of the 9012 bulb installed, however with that being said I do not have a problem with the brightnest of my headlights.

Just the yellowish color of the light.

Maybe you should just polish your lenses and see if it helps.

Maybe you should just polish your lenses and see if it helps.

Yes, I just do not know how to. Again, the outside lense is clean, not cracked,.. It is the inside round lens that seems to have a film like resedue. Possibly on the inside. But I don't see a way to clean it. Would need tobe through the small opening after the bub is removed?