noise when turning and hard stops

snz

Hi. I have an 11 Edge sel AWD. It's making a noise, usually when I'm backing out of a driveway and turn the wheel, I hear a clunk. It sees like coming from right front, but unsure. Very hard to tell. It doesn't matter if I turn left or right. Sometimes I heard this noise when I made hard fast turns. It doesn't always make the noise when I back up. Straight line, I don't ever hear the noise. Over bumps, no noise. Making circles, no noise. I also get a noise when I brake hard. Gradual easy braking, no noise, but a hard stop (not hard enough to engage abs) I hear like a clunk, like something shifting? Sounds very simliar to noise when I hear when turning.

I had strut mounts changed (one was bad) no change in noise. I had inner tie rods changed as one was questionable, no change in noises. Other suspension components look good. no torn boots. I tried to shake all components when I was underneath the car looking. Mounts look good. sway bar links intact and look good. Recently tires were changed, no chages. No play in wheels when car was lifted. alignment done, again no changes. It's not the hub caps either, because mine are off. Wheels are painted. Any suggestions? Car shifts and drives great otherwise. Thanks for any help.

Hi. I have an 11 Edge sel AWD. It's making a noise, usually when I'm backing out of a driveway and turn the wheel, I hear a clunk. It sees like coming from right front, but unsure. Very hard to tell. It doesn't matter if I turn left or right. Sometimes I heard this noise when I made hard fast turns. It doesn't always make the noise when I back up. Straight line, I don't ever hear the noise. Over bumps, no noise. Making circles, no noise. I also get a noise when I brake hard. Gradual easy braking, no noise, but a hard stop (not hard enough to engage abs) I hear like a clunk, like something shifting? Sounds very simliar to noise when I hear when turning.

I had strut mounts changed (one was bad) no change in noise. I had inner tie rods changed as one was questionable, no change in noises. Other suspension components look good. no torn boots. I tried to shake all components when I was underneath the car looking. Mounts look good. sway bar links intact and look good. Recently tires were changed, no chages. No play in wheels when car was lifted. alignment done, again no changes. It's not the hub caps either, because mine are off. Wheels are painted. Any suggestions? Car shifts and drives great otherwise. Thanks for any help.

Were your repairs taken care of at your Ford Dealer, snz? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

I have the same "clunk" in my right front wheel but only when I make hard fast turns. I've had it checked out at two different places and both said the struts were fine, tie rods fine, no visible damage to any suspension components, and I got new tires and brakes and still have the clunk.

I have a similar noise in my 14, I'm curious to hear the results of this

Hi guys,

I recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer for a diagnosis. Once you have, please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

• 10 months later...

I'm curious if you ever got a resolution to this issue? I have a 2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD with approx 78,000 miles that has had a front end clunk since the day I drove it off the lot. It only does it when I make tight turns at low speeds. It doesn't make the noise while I'm turning, but instead makes it when I straighten the wheel back up after I've made a tight turn. All front end parts seem to be fine, including the brakes, although I don't understand why Ford didn't install zerks on the Edges so that we can grease the front end parts; it seems to me like that probably has a lot to do with it. When we put it up on jack stands we cannot replicate the noise, put it back on the ground it makes the noise every time, so it appears to only make the noise when there is a load on the suspension. I've seen a lot of people complain about this issue on Edges and have stated that Ford does not have a fix for it. It is out of warranty (my ESP expired at 75,000), and I don't want to spend a bunch of money throwing unnecessary parts at it that aren't going to fix it. It drives fine, the noise is just annoying. I'm curious if anyone has figured out what is causing it.

Edited by Deonna Lemasters Poole
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Replaced the sway bar end links with Moogs. Didn't fix the clunking, but it definitely handles better now on turns. My husband now thinks it is the strut mounts. When turning the wheel each direction we can see that the strut spring is getting bound up at a certain point and when it lets loose that is when it clunks. Local shop, as well as several google searches, confirmed it is the strut mounts. We purchased new mounts and went ahead and got new struts to replace at the same time. Will report back with the results after we install them (planning to do that next weekend).

Edited by Deonna Lemasters Poole

I have been getting a ping/clunk from my 2011 Ford Edge on the right front. I am going to see if I can use my gopro and other cameras to isolate the clunk. I am leaning towards the axle outer cv joint or a wheel bearing that might be the problem. Hopefully the video will help isolate the noise.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Replaced the sway bar end links with Moogs. Didn't fix the clunking, but it definitely handles better now on turns. My husband now thinks it is the strut mounts. When turning the wheel each direction we can see that the strut spring is getting bound up at a certain point and when it lets loose that is when it clunks. Local shop, as well as several google searches, confirmed it is the strut mounts. We purchased new mounts and went ahead and got new struts to replace at the same time. Will report back with the results after we install them (planning to do that next weekend).

Any updates?