Misfire -> tuneup; Now MAJOR lack of power + horrid mpg. Help!?!?

Wetdream

Hi All!

2011 Ford Edge Limited, 3.5L AWD, 60k miles

Original issue: Cylinder 3 and 4 misfire. Threw codes for misfire + o2 sensor issue (just once)

Remedy: Swapped plugs out...

New issue: While it idles + cruises at low speed like butttttttttter, I now have HORRID MPG in city. Its averaging about 14 MPG when I used to get 18 or so! Have been off work a while due to health issues so not done my normal 50miles one way to work highway driving. Also, more disconcerning, is that its seriously lacking power. Whenever i try to accelerate or anything that would need some major power the engine RPMS go up to about 6000+ and the car goes literally no where. Im throwing codes P0340 and P0344 (camshaft position sensor codes).

Other info: cylinders 3 and 4 plugs were pulled and had gaps of about .68+ while the others had maybe .58... They were corroded and fouled but not horrid. The gaps were just really bad in those two. Meh, whatever. I drive alot.

Went to dealer, just got OEM plugs and the parts manager said "check the gap but they are now usually gapped from factory so u dont need to widen them anymore.". Outta the box i checked and all were @ .54.... so i installed them all.

If the gap of .54 is too small, wouldnt that mean im potentially not igniting enough fuel to combust?

If gap is too small, couldnt that cause the codes to be thrown?

Where is the position sensor? I dont think i was anywhere near it.

Thank you SO very much for any help... Im going thru a divorce, foreclosure, and am now a single income dad - trying my best.... i have some health issues and just trying to curb any trip to a garage or dealer if i can.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum, sorry you are experiencing issues with your Edge!

Bad mileage is typically from failed oxygen sensors and/or leaking fuel injectors. It's not really possible to mis-connect the coils either due to the short wiring in the harness. Winter fuel will also cut your summer mpg by 10% or more. A bad tank of gas doesn't help any either (did you just get gas before the symptoms appeared?)! Bad (dirty or low octane) fuel can cause hi revs without results. There are TSBs for "5th gear start from stop" etc that point to internal trans issues if we do end up looking at that area. Plugged cats can also cause the "loss of power" sensation.

The gap on the new plugs is not too far off, it should be in the range of 0.049–0.053 inch. Which ones did you install? SP-520's I hope? SP-411's are for 2007-10 MYs. When you changed the plugs did any of them seem wet or have a substantial fuel smell? If the gaps on 3&4 were radically different from the rest, the coils could be on their way out, maybe even the PCM could be in need of replacement (thinking out loud). .010 variation is probably ok, maybe they did not come properly gapped from factory when installed, happens quite often.

As far as the codes:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0344

Is the electronic connector at the throttle body tightly connected? Did you spray/clean the throttle body while you were doing the plugs (could cleaner have leaked onto the sensors/wiring)? Possibly replacement of the camshaft position sensor is required. Or the connections were disturbed at the time of spark plug replacement, look for pinched wiring as well. Looks like a DIY if the sensors do need replacing.

post-23566-0-07481400-1448316283_thumb.gif

Item Part Number Description

1 14A464 LH camshaft position sensor (CMP) electrical connector

2 W500214 LH CMP bolt

3 6B288 LH CMP

4 14A464 RH CMP electrical connector

5 W500214 RH CMP bolt

6 6B288 RH CMP

Removal and Installation

RH sensor

1. Remove the air cleaner outlet pipe. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 .

LH sensor

1. Remove the air cleaner assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 .

Both sensors

1. Disconnect the camshaft position sensor (CMP) electrical connector.
  1. Remove the bolt and the CMP sensor.
    • To install, tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).
  1. NOTE: Lubricate the CMP O-ring seal with clean engine oil.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

Before you do any work on the car, it's always a good idea to disconnect the battery.

You should try moving the coils around. If the misfire moves around with the coil, then you probably have an issue with the coil. If the misfire stays on that cylinder, try a new PCM.

Just an observation, I was never impressed with the wiring loom that Ford installs in their cars. While adequate, the loom seems unprotected to me, and prone to damage. I would make sure that the loom, pin-to-pin with the PCM is intact. Anything could've fallen on the loom and damaged the wiring.

Additionally, those clips on the coils are really delicate. They also need to firmly snap in.

I apologize if I insulted your experience. I write this for others who may be following in your footsteps.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

My apologies to all! I had a health issue and havent been back to work since mid October.. I didnt mean to leave this thread orphaned.

Im good enough now and going to get on in to the engine today and retrace my steps. .. lucky me - its been 14 degrees all morning here in MD ;0).

But.. codes are still there, serious (and i mean serious) lack of power, as well as Im sucking down only about 17mpg avg IF i do highway and city.....

Other than these, theres no other issue heard/seen/felt.

Thanks all! Ill post back along the way. Im hoping I had a novice issue thats user error..

Cheers.

Goodness, that's a while to be laid out! Hope you are well past it now :thumbsup: and rooting for ya. Happy New Year, and best wishes!

Have you reviewed the responses to your original query? Start there. Of course, winter gas kills 10% of mpg's right away, but still ... Make sure you use the recommended Motorcraft oil & filter for your Edge, it can make a significant difference in fuel economy.

Do you know if the battery is the original battery by any chance? Have you had the codes cleared (Advance Auto/Pep Boys/AutoZone should be able to do it for free) and see if they pop up again? If the CPS are truly an issue, that would definitely explain the bad mileage.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Im on the mend, slowly, and hope to be back to my fantastic ::cough cough:: federal employee job asap.. ;0)

With that said, thank you everyone! I followed the advice here and did all sorts of stuff for the fuel to check it out as well as retore apart everything I had done. I found a pinched wire of all things caused this!? I think the wire pinch pulled the CAM senson taught, and slightly pulled the pin back which caused an incomplete connection to the sensor.

Embarassed, you bet. BUT lesson learned and so happy its back to the way its supposed to be.

thanks all!!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Any chance cam position sensor is in the same location on a '13 Edge 4cyl Ecoboost? I'm getting p0012 code which says it's bank 1 only which is the front or left one right? Sluggish acceleration is only symptom so far. Getting p0299 code also but from what I understand that is turbo which is probably being caused by the cam position sensor issue?

Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

Any chance cam position sensor is in the same location on a '13 Edge 4cyl Ecoboost? I'm getting p0012 code which says it's bank 1 only which is the front or left one right? Sluggish acceleration is only symptom so far. Getting p0299 code also but from what I understand that is turbo which is probably being caused by the cam position sensor issue?

Thanks for any info.

The turbos are starting to show their age. This is a turbo failure and unfortunately is not a cheap repair. This has happened to another Edge owner and the only fix was replacement of the turbo.

Completely different engine & layout. There is only 1 bank in this 4 cylinder engine. Did you reset the codes and see if they came back?

p0012 possible causes

• Camshaft timing incorrectly set
  • Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
  • Erratic camshaft position due to low oil pressure
  • Oil flow restriction in the oil passages or the VCT valve body
  • VCT11 solenoid valve stuck open
  • VCT11 circuit open
  • VCT11 circuit short to voltage
  • VCT11 circuit short to ground
  • VPWR circuit open
  • Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit)
  • Damaged VCT11 phaser
  • Damaged camshaft position 11 (CMP11) sensor
  • CMP11 sensor circuits open
  • CMP11 sensor circuits short to voltage
  • CMP11 sensor circuits short to ground
  • Radio frequency interference

Could be as simple as a loose pin in teh wiring loom.

p0299 possible causes:

• Damaged turbocharger (TC) wastegate regulating valve solenoid
  • TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve stuck
  • Wastegate stuck open
  • Wastegate control hose open or plugged
  • Air leak between turbocharger and throttle

Could be just a bad wastegate/actuator.

Thanks for any info.

Thanks for the replies, first one, mine is a '13 hopefully not showing its age yet. My main question was where is the cam position sensor located? It's a $27 part and if reasonably accessible I'd replace it myself before heading to garage to spend hundreds.

I've googled it and searched some forums but can't find info on location past about an 08 which is different than mine probably?

Mine is the 4cyl Ecoboost, if anyone has any diagrams, that would be great.

Thanks