How many miles before tire replacement

fishx65

• 1 year later...

HI GUY'S, I purchased a 2013 edge SEL that was a lease return that went to auction...purchased it from a local bigger dealership who re - sells all brands. it had more miles than most (71,900) nav, sync, back up camera, heated seats.....etc and the price was really fair at the time ($18.5k), and had been on their lot approx. 60 days.. was an early build with build date of 3/12. spent its time in Quebec Canada. clean title, some scratches and a small scrape on rear 1/4. tires date code to 10th week of 2012 so I believe they are o.e.m. Michelin latitude HP 104H. have owned vehicle for 1 year and 5 months now. We love it! Now has 82,136 miles and the tires are getting wore out pretty good, between 4/ 5 32nds. obvious previous owner did plenty of HWY miles to get to 71,900 in a little over 3 years. fall of this year I will replace tires with hopefully a new set of the same. BTW, it also appeared that dealership put all new ford rotors and loaded calipers on it when returned. lastly, the sirus radio is still working!!! does this mean someone purchased lifetime membership? CHEERS from MN.

• 2 weeks later...

Great deal. FYI the latitudes are no longer available for the most part. You might find some hanging around. The Michelin Premier LTX is the replacement tire and IMO is the a great tire. I just installed a set and they are great as far as my first impression. I will toss a 1k miles on them this week and have better feedback after the trip.

As far as the sirus radio. Ride with it, but last I knew the subscription does go with the person whom purchased a lifetime and they can transfer it to another radio if they get a new car. The previous owners must not of transferred it yet or forgot.

• Like 2

Regular SiriusXM subscriptions can be transferred by the account holder (i.e. the previous owner) if they want/remember to do so. However, lifetime subscriptions have not been offered for several years and were only transferable under certain conditions. They could be transferred up to three times (for a $75 fee each time) between portable receivers but only once to a built-in car receiver. I got a lifetime subscription for $299 way back in 2006. At the time I was using portable receivers that plugged into the factory radio system in my car and on my bike. When I got my Mustang with Sirius built-in, they allowed me to transfer the lifetime subscription to it but advised me that it could not be transferred again. The subscription has more than paid for itself - especially since I use the included online listening all day at work - so if I ever sell the car, I won't be too upset about losing the lifetime subscription.

It is possible that the previous owner had a similar situation and you will benefit from it. But it is more likely that the previous owner had an annual subscription that auto-renews and they either haven't cancelled it or your radio was off during the week or so after it was cancelled. SiriusXM sends out deactivate signals frequently during the first week or ten days after ending an account but after that they only send that signal every few months. If your radio is off when the cancellation signal is sent (perhaps you were on vacation that first week) then you will continue to receive the programming until they happen to catch the radio on when the cancellation is sent. It doesn't cost them any more when there are extra receivers still working (they still have to broadcast for subscribers) so they don't get really pushy with the cancellation signals after the initial push. Enjoy it while you have it.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 4

thanks for info, MAC AND WIZARD. fyi, there are 5 FORD EDGE'S in our neighborhood and everyone just really likes the vehicle................on another note, I know of 2 persons who own equinox's and another with a Buick enclave. two of them had to have the motor replaced (warrenty) both under 75,000 miles, and the other owners, is burning oil. the are not happy.

The reality is that you should change your tires if you start to feel that they are becoming unsafe rather than trying to benchmark a certain amount of miles to get from them. Tires start to seriously lose rain and snow traction at about the 50% tread level. By the time they wear down to the legal level, they can be downright dangerous in rain or snow. What you feel comfortable with should dictate when to change them as a result.

• Like 1

well, my in-laws wait until they blow or slow leak flat. then standby while good Samar tins change to their spare. of course they are both 76 years old and broke....sigh. I have not felt the least bit unsafe in our edge yet and we are in the snow belt (MN). that being said, we do not log too many miles on the vehicle yearly and have 4x4 explorer as main driver. I have never owned a set of Michelins I did not like. pay a little more? sure, but I have always got great life from them.

Your actually being smart. I just change mine and Ford garage was still listing them as bring in the "yellow", ie worn but still had sufficient tread to continue.

Theres more to tire safety than just the depth of the tread. One very important factor is the tires age. Some manufacturers recommend changing tires after 6 years, others say their tires are good for 10 years wit annual inspections; starting after the 5th year. (And that includes the spare -what I'm guilty of ignoring and rv or boat tires).

Here is an excellent reference that explains all of this in detail:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

We swapped out the OE Pirelli tires around 40K miles- they were dry rotting and rock hard. Wet traction was horrible. Anything more than easy take offs would spin the tire(s). Now with the Michelin Premieres I can really get on it leaving a stoplight and it never spins.

no spin on the premieres? That's overall a very hard tire. Not exactly known to be sticky with it's like 640AAA treadware rating.

once a year .... same here. I normally do ~30k per year and live in the Chicagoland area. When the first snow falls I usually start looking for deals. I like to be able to steer my car and actually have it change directions when in the snow or slush.

I switched to the Pirelli Scorpion Verde, which are Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season in the 245/50R20 size. They're also "V" rated vs the "H" rated OEMs. Better reviews and I could probably stretch them out to two years in a warmer climate (no snow).

no spin on the premieres? That's overall a very hard tire. Not exactly known to be sticky with it's like 640AAA treadware rating.

No spinning. Of course, I'm not just flooring the pedal from a complete stop either. I'm sure I could easily get it to spin in the wet if I tried to do it.

I get her moving and squeeze the gas more and more as needed to get in front of someone for example, and I have no tire spin issues. The old Pirellis had no chance of doing the same thing- they were just terrible after 6+ years and about 40K miles. They still had tons of tread since they were rock hard- just no grip. I'm sure the braking distance in a panic stop is vastly improved as well.

You also have to understand that some tires age better than others. Pirellis traditionally do not age well. Some of the Goodyears and other name brands also have tires that do not age well while some do exceptionally well. I think the golden rule is true that you ultimately get what you pay for. The only people who really should factor in the wear rating on a tire should be those who drive enough miles each year to the point that they wear them quick. Even then, you have to understand some of the compromises for tires with long wear ratings as it may be a hard tire or one that may not be compatible with your driving or comfort preferences. The problem for those of us with these Edge Sport 21's is that Pirelli is the only game in town and these 21's can cost upto $400 each. Since Ford sells 10-12k of these new Sports a year(they have admitted the take rate for the Sport is 10%), we should hopefully start getting some other options that should bring the price point down while keeping a high level of quality.

You also have to understand that some tires age better than others. Pirellis traditionally do not age well. Some of the Goodyears and other name brands also have tires that do not age well while some do exceptionally well. I think the golden rule is true that you ultimately get what you pay for. The only people who really should factor in the wear rating on a tire should be those who drive enough miles each year to the point that they wear them quick. Even then, you have to understand some of the compromises for tires with long wear ratings as it may be a hard tire or one that may not be compatible with your driving or comfort preferences. The problem for those of us with these Edge Sport 21's is that Pirelli is the only game in town and these 21's can cost upto $400 each. Since Ford sells 10-12k of these new Sports a year(they have admitted the take rate for the Sport is 10%), we should hopefully start getting some other options that should bring the price point down while keeping a high level of quality.

there's lots of 21s available for the Edge 21s None under $300. but way way cheaper than the dunlop SP sportmax that is $700. PER TIRE

update: EBAY seller has at least 10 sets of Michelin latitude tour 105T's that are new, not take offs, but mfg. date is from late 2016. good enough for me, great price , $558.00, free ship! FORD dealership quoted me $902 for just the tires.... I have a set on the way, just a great price for a great tire.

Edited by 2kool
  • Like 1

Nick, at those prices you are factoring in the specialty nature on top of the fact that this particular tire size is pretty rare. Remember the golden rule that you have to pay to play. As we see more Edge Sports hitting the market, other brands will hopefully jump into making 21's which could drive prices down.