Intelligent Lock Instructions - Odd Detail

I was bored last night and thumbed through the owners manual (I gotta get a life). When I came upon the info on the Intelligent Lock it gave some strange instructions.

When UNLOCKING the car it was specific to say NOT to touch the ribbed area where the thumb naturally goes(it had a name for it that I forget now). It says to just grab the handle and pull. It stated this detail twice.

Up until I read this I had been touching the ribbed section and it works lightening fast . Way faster than a tug on the door handle. Which seems to require a tug to unlock and then a tug to open the door.

Anyone know why ford discourages unlocking the Edge this way?

Seems odd to me.

D

• Like 1

The ribbed section is the area you touch to lock the door.....so my guess is depending on how your hand hits the handle in theory you could unlock the door and then when your thumb hits the ribbed area it could then potentially lock, thus giving the illusion that the unlocking system is not working.

When I have ever unlocked the door, I never get any hesitation.

Yes that's the lock area. If you didn't know that was the lock area how have you been locking it?

When you grab the door handle to open the door, just wait a split second after touching it before grabbing it and it will unlock. You'll get used to it pretty quickly and it will be second nature. When closing the door, touch the ribbed area to lock it.

Akirby,

Been using the Keyfob until two days ago till I learned of the touch lock feature.

Here is my question. Why does Ford advise AGAINST touching the ribbed area when UNLOCKING the door? I don't see a downside and its crazy fast too. Just seems odd that they warn against using it.

I think if you touch the ribs to lock the door, the door can't be unlocked by touching the handle for a few seconds (to keep from accidentally unlocking the door if you're just moving your hand away). It's not that it's going to break anything, just if you touch that part first you're going to have to pull on the handle a few times before it unlocks

from the manual:

Touch the top of the door handle to lock
your vehicle. There will be a brief delay
before you can unlock your vehicle again.

I must have been unclear.

When I go to the car that IS locked, I have been touching the ribbed section for instant unlocking with no tugging. Its a touch as I open the door and it works fine.

The ford manual says NOT to do this. I found it odd as it works quite well. The few times I did not use the key fob and did NOT touch the ribbed area I had to pull the door handle once to unlock and again to open. A double tug.

My question is simply "Why is it bad (or ill advised) to UNLOCK the LOCKED car by touching the ribbed area as you open it?".

Edited by Denicio

Because THAT'S NOT UNLOCKING THE DOOR!

You can tell by watching the red leds - when you touch the ribbed part they should light up or stay lit indicating the door is locked.

Touching the inside of the door handle is what unlocks it. Try it - walk up to the locked car and grab the handle without touching the ribbed part. It will unlock the doors.

Well the OM is what brought the confusion thus this post. I just did as you said and yes it does operate as you state. I also did not see a difference in unlocking and opening it when grabbing the handle and touching the ribbed part. I was under the impression the ribbed part did both locking and unlocking.

When grabbing the locked door and thumbing the ribbed area I see no noticeable downside but Ford states not to do this. I was curious as to why. I suppose it could attempt to do both at the same time? Dunno.

Its a new technology to me and trying to understand it better. That's what I get for RTFM :-)

I still don't like the Intelligent Lock system on the Edge. Too many times I grab the handle and it sounds like it unlocks, I pull the handle, and it is locked. Then I hear it again, but still nothing. So either my hand is hitting the ribbed area or it is just finicky.

I compare it to the Lexus system. When you touch the handle it unlocks. Everytime. The "Lock" is a button on the handle you push lightly. Much better system IMO.

I still don't like the Intelligent Lock system on the Edge. Too many times I grab the handle and it sounds like it unlocks, I pull the handle, and it is locked. Then I hear it again, but still nothing. So either my hand is hitting the ribbed area or it is just finicky.

I compare it to the Lexus system. When you touch the handle it unlocks. Everytime. The "Lock" is a button on the handle you push lightly. Much better system IMO.

FYI, newer Lexus' are now similar to the new Edge where you touch a ribbed area on the top side of handle to lock the door. There is no more a physical button.

My 2014 Mazda 3 had the button. I liked it okay till this summer when we bought my wife a new Honda HR-V with the touch sensors like the edge. I was instantly jealous of it! It does not, however, have the top-touch-ribbed lock thingy.

I must confess I have trust issues with touching the top to get the car to lock. My OCD requires me to also grab the keyfob and make that sucker bark that its locked!!!!

My 2014 Mazda 3 had the button. I liked it okay till this summer when we bought my wife a new Honda HR-V with the touch sensors like the edge. I was instantly jealous of it! It does not, however, have the top-touch-ribbed lock thingy.

I must confess I have trust issues with touching the top to get the car to lock. My OCD requires me to also grab the keyfob and make that sucker bark that its locked!!!!

I'm with you on this. I touch that rib and hear it lock. But I'm not sure since it makes the same sound as unlocking. I wish it did a quick, low two beeps (non horn) that was for locking only.

So I too will grab my FOB and lock it that way to make sure.

This one is finicky for me too. Sometimes it doesn't seem to recognize my touch at all, other times it locks when I want it to unlock. Does locking it actually arm the alarm as well?

I'd say I have a 7 out of 10 success ratio of getting into my edge without any issues or hicks ups :) Passengers getting in on the other side, especially new to this feature, are probably closer to 2 out of 10....

I'd say I have a 7 out of 10 success ratio of getting into my edge without any issues or hicks ups :) Passengers getting in on the other side, especially new to this feature, are probably closer to 2 out of 10....

The intelligent access requires a key nearby, the passengers probably don't have keys, or does the system unlock when the key is near another door?

10 for 10 here....no issues unlocking as long as the key is in your pocket.

I must have been unclear.

When I go to the car that IS locked, I have been touching the ribbed section for instant unlocking with no tugging. Its a touch as I open the door and it works fine.

The ford manual says NOT to do this. I found it odd as it works quite well. The few times I did not use the key fob and did NOT touch the ribbed area I had to pull the door handle once to unlock and again to open. A double tug.

My question is simply "Why is it bad (or ill advised) to UNLOCK the LOCKED car by touching the ribbed area as you open it?".

I tried this...and it just locked my car....nothing else.

I bet they work better and are less finicky than the Edge.

I didn't try the new Edge, but on my MKX also with a touch sensor, though it looks like a button, I have no problem distinguishing the sound of the doors being locked. Also the hazard lights will flash once to confirm that the car got locked. Don't the 2015 flashers flash also?

For the Lexus (and Nissan), their is also a beep sound (not the horn) to confirm the lock process. Though useful, I imagine where it would also be annoying for some. They do 2 beeps for unlock & 1 beep for lock (or the other, don't remember exactly).

Also, since we are at it anyway, the Lexus (and Toyota since I tried a 2007 Avalon when new) would turn on the interior lights & puddle lamps when approaching the vehicle, kind off like the welcome feature that Lincoln is now advertising as a "Lincoln" feature on their newer models.

On the other hand, Lexus'/Toyota's intelligent system will NOT allow you to lock the car with Engine running from the outside. So each system has their advantages & disadvantages.

Edited by omar302

Oh and if you are washing the car with the key in your pocket, it'll lock/unlock when you are washing around the door handle.

This is a known issue for capacitive sensors. They are designed to identify human body parts which are mostly water, and also happen to react to water during washing.

The Owner's Manual mentions that you shouldn't wash your car with your key nearby as it can also cause the foot activated tail gate to open.

Question for 2015 owners: Any notice whether the lock/unlock on the door handle works with thick gloves and snow cover?

• Like 1