2009 FWD 100k Mile Suspension Overhaul - Help w/ Partslist

Chingon

I've watched the excellent videos from MAC and will refer to the AWD build thread here, but I was hoping to get a double-check on my gameplan (unsure of differences between AWD and FWD).

Background: my girlfriend's struts are completely gone, and one of the bellows is torn/exposing the shaft. The left ball joint (I think, it's not the brakes) is making an intermittent metal scraping sound, so I told her to park it until I'm done. I assume the rear shocks are OEM too. Car has about 93k miles total.

Goal: Ultimately, I'd just like to keep it on the road another 50k miles at least. Fix obvious issues like struts/ball joints, but also any other parts that are associated with this work while I have it apart. EG - I plan to replace the strut mounts, bushings, bellows, etc. in lieu of just swapping the strut. I'll plan to do ball joints left and right, even though only the left is dying (I think). Maybe I should do sway bar stuff as well? Tie rod ends? Wheel bearings? Spark plugs?

Suspension : Control Arm MOOG RK620487 {#8T4Z3079A} Complete Arm w/Ball Joint R-Series
Front Left Lower A $67.79 $67.79 MOOG RK620486 {#8T4Z3078A} Complete Arm w/Ball Joint R-Series
Front Right Lower B $67.79 $67.79 Suspension : Shock Absorber KYB 349068 GR-2 / Excel-G
Rear D $38.79 $77.58 Suspension : Strut Mount MOTORCRAFT AD1071 {#9T4Z18183A}
Front Upper A $32.89 $65.78 Suspension : Strut Bellow SACHS 900096 (Only 4 Remaining)
Front C $14.12 $28.24 Suspension : Strut KYB 334693 GR-2 / Excel-G
Front Left D $80.79 $80.79 KYB 334692 GR-2 / Excel-G
Front Right D $80.79 $80.79 Suspension : Coil Spring Insulator MONROE 907948 Strut-Mate Coil Spring Insulator
Front Upper C $7.86 $15.72 Suspension : Strut Mount Bushing MOTORCRAFT AD1060 {#8T4Z18198A}
Front A $5.16 $10.32 Suspension : Stabilizer Bar Link MOOG K750184 {#7T4Z5A486AA, 99633306904, L20628170} Problem Solver
Rear; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing To Allow Grease To Penetrate Bearing Surfaces C $39.79 $79.58 MOOG K750159 {#7T4Z5K483A} Problem Solver
Front; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing to Allow Grease to Penetrate Bearing Surfaces C $25.79 $51.58 Ignition : Spark Plug MOTORCRAFT SP411 {#AYFS22FM, AYFS22FMF4} Finewire Platinum
Gap: .054 D $3.39 $20.34 Steering : Tie Rod End MOOG ES800473 {#7T4Z3A130A} Problem Solver
Right Outer; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing To Allow Grease To Penetrate Bearing Surfaces D $32.79 $32.79 MOOG ES800474 {#7T4Z3A130B} Problem Solver
Left Outer; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing To Allow Grease To Penetrate Bearing Surfaces D $32.79 $32.79 MOOG EV800576 {#7T4Z3280A} Problem Solver
Inner D $28.79 $28.79

Looking at $754 shipped here, not sure if I'm completely overdoing it with the tie rod stuff and stabilizer bar links. I might be able to skimp on one of the LCA's for a little while. Just figured if I'm already down there and car is up in the air...

Thoughts? I've priced out the KYB stuff for now

Wow great parts list. If you wanted to skimp a little the rear stabilizer link is where I would cut costs. I have never had a rear stabilizer fail. Also unless the outer tie rods are bad you could hold off on those. Again I have never had an outer tie rod fail either. As far as the bellows and insulators. Visually inspect and if not damaged or deteriorated then you could also reuse those parts. Again I never had to replace those parts either and my Orange crush had many many more miles than yours does.

Important note. Get ALL the bolts from Ford for the LCA replacement. All of them!!! Should be about three each side the two vertical and one horizontal for each side.

The PCV replacement as WWW suggested is a good idea as it is a pain to replace later. Also by saving money on the parts I have mentioned you could reinvest your money like WWW stated and replace the two front wheel bearings.

Only thing is once you do all this you will love the ride and not want to get rid of the Edge!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah they sell only one in each box. Tricky devils.

So I got all my parts today. Everything looks good but...

Apparently only 1 sway bar link and 1 camber bolt comes in the box. It was listed as kit so I assumed 2 would come in each :( Looks like I have to make another order.

• Like 1

I bought my struts from Rockauto and the bearing mounts also. I just finished a video on the install of struts and sway bar links for Lullubelle. Plus she got new belts and an new alternator married up with an AGM battery. All soon to be posted.

Is this on Youtube yet? I'm just awaiting the parts from RockAuto - just doing struts/shocks for now...

• 1 month later...

Is the above parts list applicable for a 2010 AWD? We have almost 97k miles on ours and we are getting a clunking noise when going over bumps, I am not home to hear it but from what my wife says it sounds like a strut bearing is on the way out.

That seems like a pretty comprehensive list is there anything else we would need to overhaul the front and rear suspensions?

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1

Is the above parts list applicable for a 2010 AWD? We have almost 97k miles on ours and we are getting a clunking noise when going over bumps, I am not home to hear it but from what my wife says it sounds like a strut bearing is on the way out.

That seems like a pretty comprehensive list is there anything else we would need to overhaul the front and rear suspensions?

Thanks

Andy

Most likely all you really need is new struts and strut bearing mounts. Check the ball joints and if worn then replace them also. I just changed the front struts and sway bar links on m 2011 and that was it. Ball joints were in good shape. You can view the videos on MACTFORDEDGE on youtube or go to Double Edged in this topic of this forum and see the video installation.

Most likely all you really need is new struts and strut bearing mounts. Check the ball joints and if worn then replace them also. I just changed the front struts and sway bar links on m 2011 and that was it. Ball joints were in good shape. You can view the videos on MACTFORDEDGE on youtube or go to Double Edged in this topic of this forum and see the video installation.

Should I do the rear struts at the same time or let those go, we plan on keeping the car for at least another 20k miles

I would install new rear shocks because when they wear out the rear shocks tend to cause bad wear on the tires. If you can replace the rear shocks and front struts. You will like the change in the ride.

Should I do the rear struts at the same time or let those go, we plan on keeping the car for at least another 20k miles

• Like 1