Issue in shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.

hassan.syed

As the cold weather is upon us in Toronto. I have noticed an issue with the shifting of gears on my Titanium 2.0 after it has been parked outside in cool/cold temperatures. When I start my car, I usually let it run for 2-5 minutes. When I start to drive it, accelerating normally, the gear shift between the second gear to the third gear lags, causing the rpm to go as high as 3500 before shifting to third with a slight jerky motion. After stopping at 2-3 lights, it transitions to a smooth shift again. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue or anything similar.

Letting the car warm up only warms up the engine. The trans doesn't start to warm up really until it is put into use. It might be 5 minutes of driving on warm days to get up to temp, or 15 minutes on really cold days. Maybe that is what is happening, but IDK for sure.

How many miles do you have on your Edge, and is it still on the original/factory engine oil?

• Like 1

It has 13k kms on at atm. I usually start to drive it when the rpms stabilize to the lowest point while idling which is about 100 rpms. The oil has already been changed and I used full synthetic on it.

I have had and driven many vehicles in the past bit never experienced this kind of issue..

Letting the car warm up only warms up the engine. The trans doesn't start to warm up really until it is put into use. It might be 5 minutes of driving on warm days to get up to temp, or 15 minutes on really cold days. Maybe that is what is happening, but IDK for sure.

How many miles do you have on your Edge, and is it still on the original/factory engine oil?

Edited by hassan.syed

Ok, so it should be pretty well "broken in" at that mileage. Which full synth (& weight) did you have put in, if I may ask? Probably not an issue, since this appears to be a small hiccup. Stabilize around 1,000 rpms? That's a little high, I think, should be around 600-700 rpm at true idle. If the engine does not reach that rpm even when fully warmed up, that might be something for the techs to look into. Maybe a VCT is sticking initially, they can check the VCT advance errors to verify, for example.

Yeah, the ecoboost is a different beast alright. It is very important to not use heavy throttle until the engine reaches full operating temperature. It is very dependent on the oil to have proper flow through all the tiny passages in the engine block and components (like the variable timing solenoids). What seems like a transmission problem can turn out to be an engine problem.