Sync 3 adds Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Support

Ford is expanding its SYNC® connectivity system, adding Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, 4G LTE and several new AppLink apps to help millions of consumers stay connected behind the wheel and even when they are away from their cars.

Starting this year, owners of SYNC 3-equipped vehicles will have more choice in how they access their smartphones in the car. iPhone users can activate Apple CarPlay, and Android users can activate Android Auto, two interfaces built specifically for those types of smartphones.

In addition, new SYNC Connect technology powered by 4G LTE gives owners the ability to remotely access features of their car. Owners can program a remote start, unlock doors, check fuel level or locate a parked vehicle via their smartphone.

In North America, Ford is making Apple CarPlay and Android Auto available on all 2017 vehicles equipped with SYNC 3, starting with the all-new Ford Escape. Owners of 2016 vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 will have an opportunity to upgrade later in the year.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/01/04/sync-apple-carplay-android-auto.html

• Like 2

Assumption that the past 5 1/2 years of Ford MFT/MLT and Ford's big MESS UP with the 11 + version deployment with their solution of lets strip it down of a lot a features to get it stable ( they did) then lets keep fixing "quietly" the many "errors" ford introduced when they tried to fix something and another thing went wrong ( and they did) and then move on to the next version (and they did) is still at play here.

Also based on reading an opportunity to upgrade....That doesn't scream free- does it? Maybe it will be but...

"new SYNC Connect technology powered by 4G LTE" ....will owners find value in the pricing?

For us MLT owners at $199 for Sync services we sure DO NOT! Too pricey,service incorporates most of what is available for free on "the information line" ,& customer service agents have not been helpful with directions...do better google yourself...

so we shall see if there is value in new service

Edited by drpepper
  • Like 1

I don't see the value in the Sync Connect either. It'd be cool to schedule remote start, and lock/unlock with my phone, but none is necessary, even redundant.

Currently I'm using a Mojio device plugged in to the OBDII interface which shows me fuel level, battery charge, location, speed, acceleration/braking/idling, and more. All for $169 (device + 1st year), then $10/year service fee. Much better deal.

I don't see the value in the Sync Connect either. It'd be cool to schedule remote start, and lock/unlock with my phone, but none is necessary, even redundant.

Currently I'm using a Mojio device plugged in to the OBDII interface which shows me fuel level, battery charge, location, speed, acceleration/braking/idling, and more. All for $169 (device + 1st year), then $10/year service fee. Much better deal.

Moj.io is currently $6 / month Canadian. Did you get it for $10 / year?

I will believe these claims of CarPlay or other features when I see it on the showroom floor.

I'm still jaded from the promises released 6yrs ago. MFT was supposed to get app link...I'm still waiting.

Yeah. I know they changed the software to Sync 3 and all that but I still don't trust the Ford marketing claims. I feel they are just saying buzz words to get in the press.

In the meantime, I'm shopping GM and/or Chrysler.