Brake Squeal

I have had my Fwd edge into the dealership 3 times now for squealing brakes during light to moderate braking. The squealing comes from all 4 wheels. The dealership has replaced all the pads with a "newer version" and deglazed the rotors. None of this has corrected the problem. They suggested I ride it out and get some miles on it to "bed" the brakes. That was 4500 miles ago and the noise is getting slightly worse. Is anyone having similar issues? Any suggestions?

Contrary to popular believe most brake squeal is caused by the vibration of the brake pad and the caliper. It has nothing to do with the rotors scraping the pads. The only surefire way is to put a thin coating of "brake grease" on the back side of each pad between the pad and the caliper. Do not grease the side that contacts the rotors. Once you add the grease, the tiny air gaps that create the sounds are filled with grease and you will have silent brakes.

• Like 2

My Mustang had quiet brakes from the factory. When they were ready for replacement, i picked up new rotors (Centric) and OEM pads. I had some squealing issues so I swapped the pads for Hawk and the squealing went away.

I also had Hawk pads on my previous car. They were great and never made a noise - I also used grease behind the pad

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post an update. Took the car back in as the brakes are getting even louder now. I am being told that the noise is no longer an issue, now it is considered normal. So basically Ford has changed their story. They are instructing me to bring the car in every time the brakes squeal and the will deglaze the rotors. The problem is they start squealing a few days after the deglaze them. I am getting tired of people stopping me in the parking lot to let me know my brakes sound really bad. Guess this is going to be another battle like the cooled seats. I am going to edit this. I would no longer consider this a brake squeal. It is now very loud howl.

Edited by Viper810

The car has 7,500 miles. I am trying to avoid coming out of pocket for aftermarket pads. I am gonna stand my ground on this and make Ford fix it. The crazy thing is it is all 4 wheels not just one. And they are right, the rotors are glazing. Looks like dried Coke on rotors, and they have a tacky feel to them. From the lack of responses to this thread, it doesn't look like others are having an issue. So I don't believe this is "normal". What really pisses me off is that the dealership agrees that there is definitely a problem. It is Ford that won't pay to find the problem. I am going to have to put Ford Customer Service on my speed dial.

• 3 weeks later...

Ford Customer Service instructed me to take the car back to the dealership once again to verify if there truly is a problem. Guess what, they said there is definitely a problem. Now we have to drop the car off Monday so they can troubleshoot the problem again. In the last month the noise is slowly getting louder and now there is a ever so slight vibration in the brake pedal. Maybe they will just start from scratch with new calipers, rotors, and pads. Probably not though.

• 2 months later...

I took the car back into the dealership in March. They put all new rotors on and also "sanded" the brake pads. We were able to go 1300 miles before they starting howling again. Which is the longest we have ever gone without squealing or howling. The dealership had us bring it in but could not duplicate the problem. I will have to wait until it gets more consistent and then take it back in.

Edited by Viper810

Put OEM style pads on my wife's Sebring convertible at the local Ford garage (coupon special), and the squeeked like crazy. Running foward or backwards. She hated them. So I bought a set of NAPA's best pads, took them back to Ford and they put them on, and dead quiet.

Asst service rep said some pads squeek, the better ones don't. Will never go cheap again.

• Like 1