Your new 2016 Edge review

For some reason mine stopped doing the horn honk when I leave it running. It is kind of annoying but it's a safety feature. Too many old people forgetting to turn off their cars while parked in the garage and dying from carbon monoxide poisoning.

It's also to prevent you from dropping someone off who has the only key in their pocket and driving off without a key. The car will keep running but if you turn it off for more than 20 seconds without the key you're stranded.

Another option is to shut it off, then use remote start to keep it running while you're in the store.

3 options.....

Leave the door open

Leave the key in the vehicle

Turn off the engine

Yea but its only annoying cause you go from not having the honk to having it, and especially since it seems louder than regular honk. If we had it from beginning, then its a different story. Plus why turn on/off the car for two seconds, or why leave key in car when the convenience of key fob is left in pocket, and cannot leave door open in a public parking lot? But I get your point.

So just hit the button and turn it off before you get out and hit the button to turn it back on when you get back. It's not that difficult or cumbersome.

I understand it's annoying but the solutions are pretty easy.

It would be nice to be able to disable it - until that one day when you have the key in your pocket, the wife drops you off somewhere and she gets stranded without a key.

• 3 weeks later...

I just took delivery on a 2016 Sport, nearly loaded, 21" wheels. I sold my 2012 Audi Q5 3.2. I thought I'd give up luxury with this Ford, but that's not the case. I test drove it and couldn't pass up the value. This cost 10k less than my Audi in 2012!. It does everything a NEW Audi does for way less money. Its bigger wth more room in back for passengers. It's a fast, quiet, comfortable ride with sporty steering. It's set n Sport. The leather is soft to the touch. This is a great car. My only complaint was the sound system. It had no clarity. It sounded muddy. But it was an easy cheap fix by replacing the 6 1/4" speakers in each door with Kicker speakers. I'm not an audio expert, Imjust like a crisp sound. Replacing 4 speakers cleaned up the sound and I love driving it. This thing is still new just under 1000 miles. Time will tell. My Q5 had a rattle at 40k miles. So far all good.

• Like 1

I just took delivery on a 2016 Sport, nearly loaded, 21" wheels. I sold my 2012 Audi Q5 3.2. I thought I'd give up luxury with this Ford, but that's not the case. I test drove it and couldn't pass up the value. This cost 10k less than my Audi in 2012!. It does everything a NEW Audi does for way less money. Its bigger wth more room in back for passengers. It's a fast, quiet, comfortable ride with sporty steering. It's set n Sport. The leather is soft to the touch. This is a great car. My only complaint was the sound system. It had no clarity. It sounded muddy. But it was an easy cheap fix by replacing the 6 1/4" speakers in each door with Kicker speakers. I'm not an audio expert, Imjust like a crisp sound. Replacing 4 speakers cleaned up the sound and I love driving it. This thing is still new just under 1000 miles. Time will tell. My Q5 had a rattle at 40k miles. So far all good.

Happy to hear you're liking it. My mother has a 13 Mercedes ML350 I drive on occasion and I must say, I prefer the Edge's driving dynamics. Her ML is much louder and doesn't have nearly as many tech features. Luxury brands don't always mean better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Initial thoughts: 200 miles driven

I have to say I am very pleased with the condition of this as delivered vehicle. I am coming from a long history of 4X4 trucks so my comparison will be coming from that view point. As of now I have not noticed any quality gaffs with the possible exception of one. (more on that later) This vehicle is very quiet as long as the windows are up. This changes if the back windows are lowered more than a couple of inches. There are a major vortices generated from the side mirrors that creates a pressure pulse that I find painful to my ears at a speed any more than 30 mph or so. Not a big deal by any means, just something I noticed. The ride quality is very nice, but coming from trucks I feel a bit removed from the seat of the pants feel of driving provided by those harder riding vehicles. To me the steering feels a bit numb, which adds to the feeling of isolation while driving. It is almost like driving an easy chair down the road while sitting in an anechoic chamber.

Fit and Finish

Mine was put together very nicely with panel relationships I would consider better than normal. The one area that I alluded to in the above paragraph is that of the condition of paint finish. To be specific, the presence of “Orange Peel” on most, if not all of the vertical surfaces. Mine has what I would consider a bit worse than I would have expected, though I had seen more than a few 2015’s having a similar finish. I also found a “paint pimple” on the roof as if a larger piece of dust or something else fell on it before the paint was applied. You have to be looking for it to see it so I am not too concerned about it. I have only found a couple of small areas on the interior that caught my eye, but nothing really to complain about. All in all I am very happy with my new Edge and I will be interested to see how it ages as I put on the miles. I must say that all the “Electronic fluff” has me a bit anxious, but as this is the trend in today’s vehicles I will have to hope that the durability has been built into these systems. I still have not figured out how to operate some of the systems in this vehicle, but I know I can count on you folks in this regard. More later after I have put some real mileage on this starship.

Edited for one more item item... For me the paddle shifter stalks are about 1/2" too short. I have long fingers so I am a bit surprised this would be an issue for me, but it is.

post-35611-0-54473200-1458332794_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a Ruby Red 2016 Edge SEL fwd v6 on April 1 via a factory order that was delivered in March in Burlington Ont---In our 2nd gas fillup the petrocan nozzel knocked off the small rubber encapsulated 1-2" screw that had been attached and the rubber thingy fell to the ground---I picked it up and affixed it back on just like it was when we first drove away from the dealership--the thing points down towards the tank

Which begs the question----what if the same thing happens again on a future fillup and the encapsulated little screw gets lost on the ground----will we be able to close the lid and then a few days later open the lid again by pressing in?--or might we be screwed

seems like a flimsy little thing that could easily fall off when removing nozzel and a huge outcry from Edge owners around the world of one cud no longer press in to open the lid ---ie haven't heard anything about this so maybe I'm over reacting??---any ideas?

Service Dept guy clued me in--have to have rubber encapsulated screw attached properly to enable push door in to work---He attached it more securely than I had--then took it off and closed door and showed me that a simple business card inserted wud still open the door even though push in wouldn't work--then he re-attached the gizmo more securely that I had so fall off should not recur if nozzel hit it on extraction

• Like 1

Our 2016 SEL came with 18" regular all season Michelin tires and we may buy winter tires this Fall----Any ideas of the best winter Tire for this car?---eg Michelin Defender? we live in Oakville and my other car-buick enclave doesn't use winter tires past 10 yrs

2nd question--we have FWD and may only buy 2 winter tires and put them on the back-----must we have 4?

I recommend a good winter tire on any vehicle; even in our Southern Ontario climate. We've had Blizzak tires on other vehicles and were very happy with them so we put 4 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 Winter Tires on our FWD Edge and they performed beautifully.

Our vehicle was able to conquer the hill on our cul-de-sac in every type of weather this year. Many times there were 6 cars/trucks stuck on the hill and our Edge just went around them and never got stuck. Never had any issues with wet slush, deep snow, black ice or dry pavement in the winter.

We paid $227.99 per tire at Costco before taking delivery, and the dealer swapped the tires before we picked up our Edge in January. Now I'm thinking about swapping back the stock all seasons in the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

Our 2016 SEL came with 18" regular all season Michelin tires and we may buy winter tires this Fall----Any ideas of the best winter Tire for this car?---eg Michelin Defender? we live in Oakville and my other car-buick enclave doesn't use winter tires past 10 yrs

2nd question--we have FWD and may only buy 2 winter tires and put them on the back-----must we have 4?

I would get 4 along with winter wheels - easier to swap out and keeps the stock wheels in better shape.

Then again I live in Atlanta. If it snows 1" we just don't drive anywhere. :)

I recommend a good winter tire on any vehicle; even in our Southern Ontario climate. We've had Blizzak tires on other vehicles and were very happy with them so we put 4 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 Winter Tires on our FWD Edge and they performed beautifully.

Our vehicle was able to conquer the hill on our cul-de-sac in every type of weather this year. Many times there were 6 cars/trucks stuck on the hill and our Edge just went around them and never got stuck. Never had any issues with wet slush, deep snow, black ice or dry pavement in the winter.

We paid $227.99 per tire at Costco before taking delivery, and the dealer swapped the tires before we picked up our Edge in January. Now I'm thinking about swapping back the stock all seasons in the next couple weeks.

I also vote for the DM-V2. I have a set of four on both my 2011 and 2016 Edges and they are excellent winter tires. I also purchased mine at Costco.

I also vote for the DM-V2. I have a set of four on both my 2011 and 2016 Edges and they are excellent winter tires. I also purchased mine at Costco.

Same here cept Costco did not have the DM-V2 in a 20" rim, so had to go get them from a specialty tire shop.....still well worth the money.

a bit tedious to do---as i recal you need to insert it and then twist it a bit so it stays in place-----Service guy did it and said not to lose this little black rubber encapsulated gizmo as that is the thing that enables the 'push in and open' feature work

How do I get the Total Fuel # back on?-----IT used to be on the left alongside the fuel guage needle---when it was full it would read about 625 for eg--now there is no number , just an rpm reading----what button do I press and where in order to get the 625 etc back? (the 625 drops as you use gas)

How do I get the Total Fuel # back on?-----IT used to be on the left alongside the fuel guage needle---when it was full it would read about 625 for eg--now there is no number , just an rpm reading----what button do I press and where in order to get the 625 etc back? (the 625 drops as you use gas)

I think you're referring to the DTE (Distance to Empty) value. Like akirby mentioned, use the left directional buttons to scroll up and down in the Display menu.