Your new 2016 Edge review

• 2 weeks later...

Last Wednesday Apr-27-16 I returned my 2013 Edge Limited and got my new 2016 Titanium with the 301A package, 2.0L Ecoboost, Platinum White with Ceramic interior. It only had 5km.

Very happy with the car, looks and feels luxurious inside and outside and have notice no defects. I like the black shiny finish on the dashboard which does not give the feeling of cheap plastic like my 2013

I’m disappointed that the Wallpaper feature is gone with the new SYNC3 but overall I’m very happy

• Like 1

Picked up my new 2016 SEL in Magnetic with the Vista roof last friday. I havent been too nit picky about fit and finish, but so far enjoying the ride. Upgraded from a 11 Volvo C30 so its worlds apart. Roof is by far my favorite aspect of the vehicle. I find I leave the cover back all the time.

Only issue thus far is some audio issue when playing anything from my phone, or on a call. Sounds as if the driver side tweeter has problems handling certain frequencies. Will keep my ears open to see if this disappears.

• Like 1

Extended test drive. 2016 Edge SE 2.0L. About as base level as you can get:

Engine: Very quiet and smooth. Pulls well to very well.

Transmission: shifted fine. No problems there. Hate paddle shifters. Put the thing on the shift lever where it belongs and no buttons... Actual lever movements, please.

Ride is pleasant and firm, almost bordering on harsh but never seems to get there.

Interior: Very very quiet. Well appointed for a 'base' model. Lower seat cushion should be longer and lower seat side bolsters should go to the side, not where you'd sit ON them.

Rear seat room is quite amazing and comfortable. Reclining seats back is a God-send!

Controls: Easy to use. Somewhat cheap feeling. Steering wheel kinda sucks but nothing too horrible.

Cargo room is quite spacious.

Under the hood: what idiot put the battery back there?! Everything else is easy to get to. Air filter supremely easy to get out. Alternator looks like a minor pain to get at.

That was just observations over a long lunch :)

Edited by DRbillZ

It's not that bad - I've replaced one that's worse on a Focus. Or I should say I watched the Advance auto parts guy do it. I think you can pull out the battery before disconnecting the negative cable.

Also note there is a remote negative terminal to the right of the battery (facing the vehicle from the front) for testing/charging/jumping.

• 2 weeks later...

Initial thoughts: 200 miles driven

I have to say I am very pleased with the condition of this as delivered vehicle. I am coming from a long history of 4X4 trucks so my comparison will be coming from that view point. As of now I have not noticed any quality gaffs with the possible exception of one. (more on that later) This vehicle is very quiet as long as the windows are up. This changes if the back windows are lowered more than a couple of inches. There are a major vortices generated from the side mirrors that creates a pressure pulse that I find painful to my ears at a speed any more than 30 mph or so. Not a big deal by any means, just something I noticed. The ride quality is very nice, but coming from trucks I feel a bit removed from the seat of the pants feel of driving provided by those harder riding vehicles. To me the steering feels a bit numb, which adds to the feeling of isolation while driving. It is almost like driving an easy chair down the road while sitting in an anechoic chamber.

Fit and Finish

Mine was put together very nicely with panel relationships I would consider better than normal. The one area that I alluded to in the above paragraph is that of the condition of paint finish. To be specific, the presence of “Orange Peel” on most, if not all of the vertical surfaces. Mine has what I would consider a bit worse than I would have expected, though I had seen more than a few 2015’s having a similar finish. I also found a “paint pimple” on the roof as if a larger piece of dust or something else fell on it before the paint was applied. You have to be looking for it to see it so I am not too concerned about it. I have only found a couple of small areas on the interior that caught my eye, but nothing really to complain about. All in all I am very happy with my new Edge and I will be interested to see how it ages as I put on the miles. I must say that all the “Electronic fluff” has me a bit anxious, but as this is the trend in today’s vehicles I will have to hope that the durability has been built into these systems. I still have not figured out how to operate some of the systems in this vehicle, but I know I can count on you folks in this regard. More later after I have put some real mileage on this starship.

Edited for one more item item... For me the paddle shifter stalks are about 1/2" too short. I have long fingers so I am a bit surprised this would be an issue for me, but it is.

I now have just under 1K on the clock (yeah I know :whistling: ) and have nothing to complain about. I can see why even small rattles and other body noises are bothersome though...This thing has a really quiet interior so rattles really stick out. The only rattle I had was self induced by a four way lug wrench I put in the storage area. Its vibration against the spare tire required the targeted placement of a piece of indoor carpet to isolate it from the tire. I still have not grown accustomed to the numb feel of the steering, but its no big deal. The V-6 may not have the pep that the turbo-4 has but I find it easy to live with and very quiet. I can see why Ford has the horn sound if you leave the vehicle with the motor running, though that horn blast does get old when you leave the motor running on purpose. I am still working through the various menus to find out what does what. More later...

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

Parking Brake on 2016 Edge---when I press it on by pressing down the brake goes on----If we then get out of the car and then return and turn the car back on, does the pkg light go back off if we first put the car in either Drive or Reverse while on a hill??

Parking Brake on 2016 Edge---when I press it on by pressing down the brake goes on----If we then get out of the car and then return and turn the car back on, does the pkg light go back off if we first put the car in either Drive or Reverse while on a hill??

From the Manual:

Automatic release - drive away release

Your vehicle will automatically release the parking brake if all of the following conditions exist:

• The driver door is closed.

• The accelerator pedal is pressed.

• There are no faults detected in the parking brake system.

Note:

If the electric parking brake warning lamp stays illuminated, the electric parking brake will not automatically release. You must release the electric parking brake using the electric parking brake switch.

Note:

On manual transmission vehicles, if the transmission is in neutral (N) when you release the clutch pedal and press the accelerator pedal, the electric parking brake will release automatically.

Note:

On manual transmission vehicles, you must fully press the clutch pedal before the drive away release feature will operate. Drive as normal using the accelerator and clutch pedals and the electric parking brake will be automatically released. The brake system warning lamp will go off to confirm that the electric parking brake has been released.

• Like 1

OK we've had a new 2015 SEL AWD for a week now. Slowly using the paddle shifters to gradually raise the rpm between shifts to break things in. Changing speeds often.

I know about the PTU and will take care of things.

The car drives nice and as I've said a few times already it's very quiet. Handles well but certainly not as well as our VWs. Much better than American cars of past though!

Liking the convenience features but hope they don't turn into problems as it ages but most likely certainly will.

Excellent Michelin tires! Love the back seat! Can't wait for snow but that will be a while.

So far it is much nicer than I ever expected the Edge would be.

• 3 months later...

Use what the OM says and what's on the oil cap but yes it should be 5W-20. I would recommend sticking with the factory synthetic blend - most dealerships have quick oil change lanes just like the other places. If you go somewhere else they'll use whatever you pay for. They may have the motorcraft synthetic blend. If you go with regular oil instead of synthetic or synthetic blend I would reduced the IOLM oil life to 70% when you reset it (if possible) or change it at 30% just to be safe.

thanks---here's another question having to do with Valet Parking--We will be visiting a city soon where the hotel uses Valet Parking most of the time

Suppose we put the fob in the drink section between the front seats and then turn the car off and get out without locking it -the valet gets in and drives the car into the garage and then has to move the car several times in the garage because of a larger number of cars-- but suppose one of the valets a few hours later opens the car, moves it 20 ft and then exits it and by mistake presses on the front drivers side door indent part mistakenly locking the car with the fob inside ??

does our opening the window before the valet drives it into the garage improve the situation?--could the 2nd valet reach in the front side window and open the locked door?

Also the interior door lock button will not allow the vehicle to lock if there is a fob inside. So you can't lock the fob inside the vehicle unless you have a second fob or you have the keypad code and use the keypad. So the valet can't do it.

Either way make sure you have your own code programmed for the keypad or remember the factory code so if it ever does happen you can unlock the door immediately. You are never locked out with a keypad.

18 month Update. 13k Miles.

Still really love the Edge. The power, handling, and solid feel of this vehicle impresses me. I love how quiet the interior is and how the materials feel. Feels more like a Lincoln in some aspects...or how Lincoln used to be.

I've used it for hauling a few canoes/kayak. I've used it to haul a lot of stuff (No trailer..interior only). I've taken long trips in it. I've driven it in heavy snow/rain storms. It has always performed very well.

My only complaint is the little rattles that pop up. Wish they'd work those out.

• 5 months later...

My wife purchased 2016 SEL 2.0 Eco Boost AWD 8/16. Vehicle has about 5500 miles, with 4 trips of 600 miles each in the total 5500. At 65 mph we have averaged 30.5 to 31.5 on road trips. Around town about 24 mpg - so we are please with overall/trip mpg. The 2.0L has strong acceleration when called upon, and normal driving the engine is very smooth. Has leather seats which are very comfortable, but have not ridden in rear seats. Cargo space for this vehicle is good, but big step down from her Honda van which was large vehicle - she is slowly getting use to size difference. Very quite, except on Michigan bad roads which are everywhere. Handles snow with no problem(40" so far this winter). We are pleased with purchase of this vehicle.

• Like 1

Purchased a 2016 Ford Edge Sport Eco Boost. At 60 when letting off the gas going into a turn the steering wheel vibrates. Anyone else have this issue?

This is likely the lane departure warning system. You can adjust the vibration intensity or turn the system off if you want.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/safety/lane-keeping-system.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

does anyone know what the key fob battery number is on the 2016 Edge---my wife's fob on it died and I got the dealer to replace the little circular battery--but I forgot to ask him what the # was

From the owner's manual:

Intelligent Access Transmitter
The remote control uses two coin-type three-volt lithium batteries CR2025 or equivalent.
  • Like 1