just to add..... my low beam lights are yellow-ish, i want to change it so it matches the fog lights.

anyone know what color the fog is?? 4300k, 5k, 8k?

Don't know the answer but yellow light (or amber) is preferable over bluer light for fogs. (See better in circumstances of low visibility).

thanks guys.... what i am really looking for is, if someone changed their low beam headlight with HID or LED.

does it work?

For the low beam you really don't want LED as it's not bright enough for regular nighttime driving. Also, the standard projector housing is not fitted for HIDs.

IMO, you'd be better off buying premium halogen bulbs that have a brighter, whiter light output to more closely match the LED lights on the front bumper.

For the low beam you really don't want LED as it's not bright enough for regular nighttime driving. Also, the standard projector housing is not fitted for HIDs.

IMO, you'd be better off buying premium halogen bulbs that have a brighter, whiter light output to more closely match the LED lights on the front bumper.

Not sure about how they would be on an Edge, but the LED lights on the F150 are great. I wrote about this in some other post, but those lights are nearly as good as the adaptive headlights I had on my BMW 7 series...

If the halogen housings are projector style, LEDs will work fine. Look up the vled.com product offerings. Pricey but quality.

Thats not accurate. LEDs require their own LED projector to aim the light and since their are various different styles of LEDs on the market each is going to offer different results due to their own diode placement. Simply plugging an LED bulb into a projector doesnt make it work. Though you can waste your money if you want. Or go search "scott mcgregor" on fb and ask him how he liked his LED bulbs in his projector housings.

The VLED was tested in a Halogen REFLECTOR, and it is certainly not designed for reflectors. I wouldn't put them in the '07 Edge housing for example, maybe in an aftermarket projector housing. They do have a (now discontinued) product for reflector housings that has a tube around the central shaft to disperse light in a similar manner as halogens (no idea what reviews are out there for those), that should work better. If I were in a position to try them out, I would.

But yeah, I did like the Philips H11 product example that the retrofitter talked about.

I noticed the halogen reflectoe part after I post it. The led in the tube is horrible. A gimmick just like the leds that have the slidding piece that allow you to adjust the aim. It's pretty simple though. Halogen reflectors get halogen bulbs. Halogen projectors get halogen bulbs. HID projectors get HID Bulbs. LED projectors get LED bulbs (these are application specific, f150 LED will not work in an acura). Been quite an eventful day here in Hawaii fueling helicopters. Which is why I missed the halogen part. I can't stop people from buying what they want to buy but if they want to look like a dumbass driving down the road creating glare at oncoming traffic thats on them. Just like I advise everyone, go on hidplanet, candlepower do research. Just had a member of FEWW not listen to me at all and put LEDs in his 15 titanium after I sent him HID links to buy. He totally regrets it and now after installing them. Some people have to find out on their own. Just cause its a fad doesn't mean it works.

• Like 2

Def good advice, Nick, reading thru the forums you get more & more appreciation for the engineering that goes into these lighting components. It's just not easy to make comparisons between available products, because accurate specs are so hard to obtain. Then you have to be your own testing lab, spend money on parts & equipment, ...

I hope the outcome in Hawaii is a positive one. Greatly saddened to hear about the collision. Prayers & best wishes.

As I have said before, I have LEDs in my Mustang projectors and they work great! The pattern is sharp and evenly filled (without hot spots) and the distance is much better than the H9 halogens it came with. But we've been down this road before and it doesn't seem to matter to some that there are success stories out there, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

As I have said before, I have LEDs in my Mustang projectors and they work great! The pattern is sharp and evenly filled (without hot spots) and the distance is much better than the H9 halogens it came with. But we've been down this road before and it doesn't seem to matter to some that there are success stories out there, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

where's your cutoff? This is general headlight bulb knowledge that LEDs are junk in all things other than LED projectors. I'm not reinventing the wheel here.

The image you posted is like the 6th image you get you when google HID Pattern. Lol

You're a fraud guy. You're on here talking about your LEDs and you linked to a HID image on a florida motorcycle site. Ahahahaha. Let alone the image is named hidpattern.jpg ahahaha. You also said you LEDs have no hotspot which is the problem with LEDs. I'm done repling to you guy. Even when you comment back that you supposedly linked the wrong image.

http://www.fl1v.org/ls1/hidpattern.jpg

Screenshot_2016-01-18-09-30-26_zpsldedyy

Edited by Nick Halstead

You know, some people are just hard to deal with.

Yes, that image is from a "Florida motorcycle site". That site is Chapter FL1-V of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association of which I am a member and former chapter director. It happens that the domain name is registered to me and is hosted on my server so I use it when I want to host an image or other file for posting. And you'll notice that the directory is "LS1" which I set up for posting things to LS1Tech.com where I am a moderator. The image is a stock image I use whenever I want to demonstrate what a proper HID (or LED) beam cutoff pattern should look like. I have used it dozens of times and it has been re-posted who knows how many times so I am not surprised that it comes up on Google. You see I've been doing this for a very long time and I have neither the time nor the inclination to get a new image every time some kibitzer wants to see a light pattern because they think they know everything. You asked what my light pattern looks like and that is what it looks like. If you want to see it for yourself then buy yourself a plane ticket and come look. Otherwise, stuff it!

• Like 1