Buying Used Roof Rack... what crossbar size & what brand works best?

I've been seeing sizes from 48", 53", 58" ... looks like 53" is the "official" proper size but will the others work without causing issues?

Also considering both Thule and Yakama... does one work better than the other (fits better, more secure, easier to use, etc)

thanks!

Edited by Aaron Levey

Regarding Yakima vs. Thule, they are both well known and well tested brands. No doubt people have preferences just as they do between one brand of coffee or another, but in the end they both do the job. I use A Yakima rack. I chose that four years ago because I liked their canoe brackets. My recommendation would be to focus on what you're planning on carrying and which company makes the brackets that best meet your needs and then go with that manufacturer.

When you mention "from 48", 53", 58" are you referring to cross bar length? In my opinion you want the shortest that will fit whatever you plan on carrying. Extra length creates increased wind noise. I think that I bought the 53" length but ended up cutting several inches off that I didn't need. They are now 50" wide. If I had wanted to carry a bike in addition to my canoe I would need the wider bar. With just a canoe I didn't need anymore length extending out from the rails than was required to run the tie down straps around. Reducing the extra length yielded much lower air flow noise.

Edited by Gimp

Thule 7503b. Fits without cutting. i use a basket to carry duffel bags and stuff. Vista roof slides open underneath. Gimp is right about the wind noise. When I don't need it, the basket is in the garage. With the basket on there is definitely an increase in cabin noise level.

Good luck.