VBOX TESTED: 91 LMS/K&N FILTER AGGRESSIVE + SHIFT TUNE

GT500R

So I had the opportunity to test out the 91 aggressive tune plus firmer shifting tune from LMS

"The transmission tune has firmer shifting and an overall more aggressive shift strategy which is the primary changes to the tune. The 93 tune would still have more timing advance because of the higher octane." - LMS

Impressions of the 91 agr. tune: the shifting is actually better then the current offering of tunes! Shifting is very quick (almost like my DSG VW, but not quite) and CRISP, there is no clunking, banging, etc. from the shift strategy on this tune - which the other 93 tune doesn't really clunk, but I feel like it sometimes bangs into the next gear on full throttle and I feel it can be a bit smoother. Normal "D" is very nice with the shifts also, crisp and clean. I think there is a bit more aggressive tuning (timing) in this tune based on the canned tune but I am not 100% certain. Either way I ran three times and had very similar results each run. It seems that this tune is just a SMIDGE slower then the 93 can tune (pretty cool). I now want the shift strategy on my 93 tune! DA was pretty much same for all runs for both tunes (-2200 DA)

TbWwDtU.png

I am not sure if I should keep posting these threads or should just create one big VBOX thread to sticky or keep updating? Do you guys mind these many updates?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Keep providing the updates. I am interested in your results however you decide to post them.

How is that 3rd or 4th gear shift now? Any bogging?

Can you leave from a dead stop without losing traction?

I haven't checked gone up to 100 + yet to check that 3rd to 4th gear shift unfortunately. I would think the bog / back and forth would be gone though.

Depending on the conditions and the road the front tires may break loose for a milli second. If I leave traction control on it will definitely flash in first gear which is kinda cool.

I will have to test out the 3rd->4th and report back.

Nice comparison. I'm going to swap over to the new 91 tune this weekend to try out. I was worried that an 'aggressive' shift strategy would come with some clunk/bang even if minor. Glad to hear that doesn't seem to be the case.

As far as updates, I think separate threads or a combined thread works. If anything this won't be a 2015 specific topic for much longer with the 2016+ sports hitting the street.

Thanks. I would also point out that "Drive" is greatly enhanced also, not a real slug in shifts anymore, they are pretty nice and crisp also.

Let me know your thoughts.

As always GT500R......awesome post.....I look forward to all the testing you are doing.....LOL makes it tough to just watch, I would love to start testing some of these tunes myself. I guess Ill just have to live vicariously for now.....must be fun to run a sleeper like your edge, bet you surprise a few sport sedans...even the odd wrx.....I know even mine being stock I surprise a few people.

Keep up the great work...great posts!

Edited by cds71
  • Like 1

GT500R, decided not to wait until LMS can get my tire size in and got a dedicated 21" set in OEM size...pricey but go through snow easy, even my wife said it was easy to swallow their price once you put them to use.

Either way, I should have my Livernois tuner later this week and I am going to demand a 93 aggressive tune, that is what I had on my previous vehicle and remember their regular 93 felt kind of crappy with tranny hunting too much, still lots of power but just didn't feel right. The agressive wasn't a gear banger but it just stopped the hunting non-sense and went for the lowest gear which is where I want to be if I mash it.

I would love to know how you're testing so I can figure out real world results.

I don't plan to rev the engine while standing nor do I plan to turn traction control off.

Can you let me know how fast the car goes when you just mash the accelerator in Sport mode?

Also, with a 1ft roll out, how do you do it? I let the gas go in my car and it barely moves anywhere which means you can't really build up RPMs yet your times as the best, do you just let it roll and then mash it? If so, that I can do!

Multiple threads of single thread, as long as you're updating I will be following progress, thanks!

037 - Glad to hear you are getting the tune!

I test using a measuring tape and a spotter, its as simple as getting 1320' of tape... totally kidding.

I use a VBOX SPORT -> http://www.vboxmotorsport.com/index.php/us/. It is what the magazine testers use in order to provide their numbers (Car & Driver for example -> http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-does-c-d-test-cars). Very accurate at 20 mhz and easy to use (not that expensive either). I also use a road that has an extremely flat surface (actually has a slight uphill) to ensure my numbers aren't skewed and aren't overstated.

I haven't tested a tune at a stand still with no stall and traction control off. So I would assume based on previous tests and a gauge the car will do 0-60 in around 5.4 or so due to traction control and not a hard launch.

The 1 foot roll out is similar to an actual track, as you start to line up you have a couple of beams that need to light up, and generally you have around 1 foot before the actual time starts to measure as you need to "release" the beams in order to start the time. The great thing is this website - http://vboxtools.com/- does all of the calculations for me so I don't need to :)

I will try some tests with Sport mode and traction control on with a normal launch and see what I can get.

• Like 1

I don't plan to rev the engine while standing nor do I plan to turn traction control off.

Can you let me know how fast the car goes when you just mash the accelerator in Sport mode?

Traction control ON and SPORT mode

0-60 MPH 5.179 Seconds

0-100 KPH 5.513 Seconds

0-60 MPH (1-Ft) 4.711 Seconds

0-100 KPH (1-Ft) 5.045 Seconds

Not too far off without the launch.

Edited by GT500R
  • Like 1

so to understand correctly, the 1 ft roll out is simply letting the brakes go and then slamming on the gas? If so, I don't see how you stall at all...

I generally like C&D 5-60 acceleration numbers as that is simply stomping the pedal in 1st gear and see what happens which should be easy to replicate in the real world.

Tuner should get here tomorrow and hope to be flying by the weekend.

Finally hard wired my detector so together with my jammer I should be fairly comfortable stomping around again.

so to understand correctly, the 1 ft roll out is simply letting the brakes go and then slamming on the gas? If so, I don't see how you stall at all...

I generally like C&D 5-60 acceleration numbers as that is simply stomping the pedal in 1st gear and see what happens which should be easy to replicate in the real world.

Tuner should get here tomorrow and hope to be flying by the weekend.

Finally hard wired my detector so together with my jammer I should be fairly comfortable stomping around again.

Hey 037, 1 foot roll out is too much for me to explain, so here is some good reading -> http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-importance-of-rollout and http://www.nogaroblue.com/27978/30426.html

Essentially it is showing what your results would be at the track due to the 2 staging beams. Not probably super applicable to the 0-60, but more 1/8 and 1/4.

The issue with the 5-60 is you take out the launch portion of the 0-60 and AWD cars like Audi S3 or WRX or Porsche Turbo's have their launch control taken out of the equation and doesn't show true performance. For example if you take a 5-60 vs. a 0-60 for an Audi A3 and you see that the 0-60 is 5.4 and the 5-60 is 6.3. Why? Because you eliminate the launch (3000 rpm with some good power) and starting with barely any power (1200 rpm) at the start.

Was that with the aggressive 91 tune?

Correct.

Edited by GT500R

Launch control is the exact reason why 5-60 is so repeatable. On paper BMW M4 looks like a beast with low 12s quarter but u take away launch control and it loses a full second. That basically means I blew his doors off in a 4000lb car like he was driving a sausage cooker on the highway.

5-60 is no more then just taking out optimal launches, your Commodore is a second slower also 5-60, so the M4 is still ahead regardless (trap time comes more into play at that point)

I don't really find the point in 5-60 other then showing a time slower then 0-60. Plus at a track makes no sense. Actually even on the street makes no sense as I don't think you would be at a light and roll the window down and say "hey when you hit 5 mph then go full throttle, I don't do 0-60 stuff man"

Funny...like saying hold on, need to get my launch control sequence going. Also not much help if you are already in motion.

The reason I like 5-60 is because it shows car power anywhere not just from a stop.

The new MDX for example loses exactly .3 seconds since there is no way to launch it harder.

Cla45 AMG loses almost a second n a half without launch control.

At a track, sure, those should work. For everything else, which is where I come in, 5-60 shows the picture I need to see.

I think your going for more roll stuff like 30-60 or 40-80.

I see what you mean with replication on runs by taking out the 0 part, but then you start to get into trap speeds, weight and aerodynamics. If you are looking for that stuff then look at trap speeds. While the Edge 0-60 is pretty formidable for a lot of cars with similar 0-60, the roll race won't last a more then a second or two for those same cars due to weight, awd, aero etc.

I wasn't comparing the Edge to those cars, the reason I got the Edge is to slow down a bit.

Either way, the tuner is here and email sent requesting tune. Hopefully I can have a little fun this weekend.

The 93 aggressive tune could be born tomorrow ;-)