VBOX TESTED: 91 LMS/K&N FILTER AGGRESSIVE + SHIFT TUNE

GT500R

Will do a a few more miles on the weekend but the 19 I just added felt like getting a new, more powerful car. I am coming from a much faster car but sitting high up is a different feeling and all wheel drive shove seems more secure than the rear trying to pass you.

I giggled a little, good times.

93 was aggressive but 91 was listed with firmer shifts, I thought I would get those too, a little annoyed there. Will see how I feel over time but more power was definitely welcome. Will start my own thread soon, a single thread with photos and random stuff.

Edited by 037
  • Like 1

created personal page, drove a little more today, nothing too crazy. So far averaging 14mpg with closed windows, a/c always on.

The tune seems to be providing power everywhere, all the time regardless of gear, 10% throttle is enough to pass most people.

More highway driving tomorrow, and maybe I will throw in a quick dash cam video if I don't forget.

So far, didn't notice any quirks in the tune but can't confirm power levels until I find a decent car to blow away.

I was doing some simple math based on LMS dyno numbers, and base was 225/250 and tuned more like 325/350. And then I transferred that to crank and the power loss in AWD is like 28%!?!?!?!?

I've never seen losses that big...for ex a boosted BMW X3 sees a 22% power loss in HP and 28% in TQ...but ours is like this across the board.

Not sure if this is normal for a Ford but it seems crazy to me, because 325/350 to all wheels is like 447/490 crank...

310 >>225>>loss (27.5%) 0.725806

350 >>250>> loss (28.6%) 0.714286

325 >>(crank based on loss) 447.7778

350>>(crank based on loss) 490

Edited by 037

The losses do seem a bit on the high side, don't know if that's because of vehicle class. In the Taurus SHO, the losses are more like 15-17%, and that's on an "older" EB setup, so ...

those losses would be pretty low considering AWD setup, I am expecting low 20's usually but who knows...

My last RWD car had 17-18% loss

I don't trust the dyno numbers, that's cool for showing off and talking a big game but what it comes down to is how fast your car is on the street, I also wouldn't go off of the only dyno shown either as a variety of factors can influence the numbers.

I have a lot of faith in LMS dyno, they tuned several dozen commodores on it, I drove 1200 mi round trip with my car to put it on their dyno with a tune I installed weeks prior to test against a car they had in maybe 8 months prior.

Graphs came out identical. All are SAE corrected so come in any day, night, season, the dyno numbers are solid.

Obviously car won't be as fast in the summer as it is in the winter, but it does what it's supposed to do as a tool.

Based on the dyno - car being barely broken in and having a loop at 3500 rpm makes me wonder if it was a good run. I doubt that drivetrain loss is almost 30%. The SHO cars don't even peak with that much power with a tune and higher displacement. If that were true I would be seeing 4.5 0-60 with that much power and be happy with the speed, as of now with the tune it's where the car should have been sold off the factory floor (haha)

Drove maybe another 100 miles today, no takers on challenging me on the road plus wife wasn't excited about acceleration bursts, no one to compare to in the real world so far.

As far as dyno result being bad, can't make another trip to verify but they share that dyno with Ford so I believe it's a good piece of equipment.

Edited by 037

GT500R, did you change or consider upgrading the braking performance? With winter tires on stock size I felt like I had to push the pedal real hard especially towards the last seconds of stopping to make sure I don't rear end someone.

That wasn't the case on all season tires...

I was thinking a good set of SS brake lines with stronger brake pads would do the trick.

GT500R, did you change or consider upgrading the braking performance? With winter tires on stock size I felt like I had to push the pedal real hard especially towards the last seconds of stopping to make sure I don't rear end someone.

That wasn't the case on all season tires...

I was thinking a good set of SS brake lines with stronger brake pads would do the trick.

I was considering getting Brembo calipers (4 piston) that would be similar on the GT500, but couldn't get a definitive answer if the calipers would fit or not. So sticking with stock for now.

here's my first tune test, not the best car to go against...but at least I knew the driver, eheh

Weird how you didn't even get the punch off the line considering you have the AWD, but then I saw you didn't stall it before launching ; )

Not too bad.

Car has barely 700 miles on it and I'm not too good at launching it yet, clearly. Either way, that race had the same outcome, 100 less hp and 400lb extra a race don't win.

I do have some twin turbo badging coming up and a boosted license plate frame, should add another 20hp I think

I was considering getting Brembo calipers (4 piston) that would be similar on the GT500, but couldn't get a definitive answer if the calipers would fit or not. So sticking with stock for now.

Weird how you didn't even get the punch off the line considering you have the AWD, but then I saw you didn't stall it before launching ; )

Not too bad.

Not too bad.

Are you getting badging or decal for the "twin turbo"?

I was looking into a 3"'X13" decal on the bottom side but am not sure on the color....

Its just going to be a small badge, similar to ecoboost except I'm going to take that thing off.

I finally tried revving the engine and launching today. I did it before and it felt weird, now I know to turn traction control off!!

Wow...what a jump and it was just 2k rpm, none of that hesitation crap you would normally get, I am totally embracing this and hope tranny doesn't blow up cause come summer I am totally using Michelin super sports and going to launch it as far as the tires can hold!

Edited by 037

I don't plan to rev the engine while standing nor do I plan to turn traction control off.

Its just going to be a small badge, similar to ecoboost except I'm going to take that thing off.

I finally tried revving the engine and launching today. I did it before and it felt weird, now I know to turn traction control off!!

Wow...what a jump and it was just 2k rpm, none of that hesitation crap you would normally get, I am totally embracing this and hope tranny doesn't blow up cause come summer I am totally using Michelin super sports and going to launch it as far as the tires can hold!

Now you understand why I do it!

No hesitation indeed. Once it stops snowing hear I am going to get another test in for the 93 aggressive tune/shift and post it up.

• Like 1

The tranny in the new sport is the 6f55(much stronger than the 6f50).....guys are pushing 500+ft/lb torque through them with SHO's and not having any problems.

Here is the difference between the 6f55 and the 6f50

http://www.automobilesreview.com/uploads/2009/02/ring-gear-for-6f-55-transmission-versus-6f-50-transmission.jpg

Edited by cds71

• 3 weeks later...

Electronic tuning for the engine, which includes modification to the transmission shifting. LMS is in Detroit unless your looking at something else.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com

For the most part having a turbocharged engine is required, tuning a n/a engine isn't really going to do much.

Side topic: seems kind of weird this topic ended up in the FWD powertrain transaxle section after the 2015+ thread got blown up. If anything should be in the 2.7EB forum since this tune/thread is very specific to that engine (?)

Edited by redlancer