Ford ESP cost vs risk

cab2g

I am on the fence. Ford offers an extended warranty and I was able to find some pretty good prices online. I was thinking of getting the 6 year 75,000 mile premium care option for $985 with a $50 deductible. Ford wouldn't sell warranties if they didn't make money on them. So I am thinking what are the chances that I will have a $1000 repair in the first 6 years... It scares me to think that I may get hit with a couple big repairs, but I just don't know if it's worth it. Has anybody bought their warranty and not used all the $ they spent on it by the time it expired?

I'm a little worried because even the premium care warranty does not cover seals, water leaks or rust. With the leaky 2015 Edges, I wonder how well these guys are sealed. But I am probably being too paranoid.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is 2013 AWD, and I would really love if I could buy an ESP. I'm the 2nd owner and the car is still within the original warranty, but local Ford has already informed me that they do not sell ESP here in Brazil.

In case of any serious trouble, like engine related or with the transmission, the cost to fix/replace is many times more expensive than the one to get an ESP.

Really upset with Ford because of their decision.

Yes but the likelihood of actually needing to replace an engine or transmission is very low, so it's a gamble. And the odds are in Ford's favor.

If you really want an extended warranty I'm sure there are plenty of non-Ford options available.

Banks and insurance companies often have them.

Edited by akirby

I think if you keep a good maintenance schedule with the engine/transmission/brakes etc, you should be able to avoid most major issues. The odds are in your favor that the powertrain will last a good long time. Neglect WILL kill even the most modern of engines. Don't buy into the "lifetime" fluid propaganda. Don't need to use high end fluids, Motorcraft fluids are fine, just use the severe duty intervals in the owner manual.

As for the AWD, the weak link is usually the PTU and the PTU seals. If you can find someone locally to R&R the PTU fluid (RDU is no problem), then really you should be golden. Not sure yet whether the design of the PTU has been updated enough to be less of a problem with the 2011-14's.

Then you are down to the electronics, which I think are the real "weak link" in the 2011-14 Edge. APIM, door latch, shifter, and throttle body (so far mostly 2011 MY) ...

If you buy a warranty, check the exclusions. Be sure to document your issues as best you can before approaching the dealership. Improve the odds of getting the repair you want paid for by warranty.

I have an ESP on all 4 of my current Ford's. And had it on a '11 Edge that I no longer have. It paid for it self on the Edge when the power steering pump failed and the alternator failed. I just got my '11 F150 back two days ago after $4000 of work done. Head gaskets, 2 injectors, and a water pump. All covered by my ESP. I bought these vehicles brand new and they have all been serviced by the dealership at the proper intervals.

Unless you trade off every couple years in my experience the ESP is well worth it. I prefer Ford's ESP simply because it is less hassle than a third party plan. Don't have to wait for approvals or arguing with the warranty people. Just drop off the vehicle get loaner and go.

FYI the '11 Edge I had was totalled in a wreck a year into the ESP. I received a refund check for around $700 from Ford. Definitely well worth it in this case.

• Like 1

But there are many other examples that are just the opposite. I've had 5 vehicles that were kept 5-7 years each. Outside the factory warranty I had a broken door handle on one, cooling fans on another and a handfull of small repairs on a third. Most I fixed myself but even at the dealer my total out of pocket for all 5 vehicles would have been less than $1000. Because I did not buy an extended warranty I saved over $7500. I am now $6500 ahead and even if I had to pay $3K tomorrow I'd still be ahead $3500.

Unless you're just incredibly unlucky or you abuse your vehicles, over the long run (multiple vehicles over a decade or two) the odds are always in your favor to come out ahead.

If you like to pay a one time up front fee or finance it with the vehicle to avoid a single large repair bill that's fine. But you can't say it's a good idea all the time for everyone just because it worked out in one case or for one individual.

Many people win big in Vegas but that doesn't mean you'll do the same - it's still a gamble and the odds are stacked in the house's favor. If it wasn't they wouldn't be selling them.

I never stated it was a good or bad idea. And I do believe more that one individual gave examples of more than one case where they benefitted from an ESP. $7500 expense spread over 5 vehicles is not a lot of money for piece of mind. In the case of "abused' vehicles ESP would not cover that anyway.

I could not disagree with you more on the gamble of an ESP. The big gamble is not buying one. I guess one shouldn't buy life insurance because the odds or that you will not die tomorrow. Or heck screw buying auto insurance, the odds are I am not going to be in an accident. If you want to talk about odds stacked in the house's favor look at a profit/loss of a major insurance company.

With the cost of parts nowadays it is pretty easy to have an ESP pay for itself in one visit. I had my rear tail lamp brake light go out on my '15 Edge today. Guess what there is no bulb to change had to replace the entire lamp assembly. Had this lamp gone out in 3 years from now...$895 for the part plus labor(if you don't install it yourself). Was the brake lamp 'abused' maybe my wife does tend to use them more than most. Or was I "unlucky". If you truly believe in luck, I have some cans of moon air I would like to sell you. I will give you a great price. Only $7500. I kid, I kid. And no, I do not make a living selling warranties.

Yes, some may see an ESP as a gamble. Or, maybe look at it another way. If your salesman tells you after you drop $42K on your new vehicle that for an additional $2K you will not have to worry about any major repair bills for 4 years after your 3 year factory warranty(or until 75K miles total) does it now seem like that big of a gamble. And in my opinion if you can afford $42K for a vehicle you can afford another $2K.

I hope you receive good info from both sides while trying to make a decision to buy the ESP. Good luck. LOL

• Like 1

If every ESP paid out more than it cost then they wouldn't be selling them. It is nothing more than an insurance policy and yes it is most certainly a gamble.

Why do I have car insurance or home insurance? Because I can't afford to pay cash to replace a home or car. Large companies don't buy insurance policies like that - they self-insure because it's cheaper and they can afford it. Most people can afford to pay for a repair.

If you can't afford to pay for a large repair then get one and finance it with the vehicle so you only pay a few dollars per month.

If you want to gamble that you'll beat the house odds go ahead. You might win. Just understand it's a gamble and the odds are not in your favor.

• 4 months later...

Older topic but my 5 cents (we don't have pennies in Canada anymore):

My Ford PremiumCARE ESP (from a US seller) purchased online at $2000 (Canadian) for a used (out of warranty) Canadian Edge. Keep in mind that shop rates and parts are priced a lot higher here in Canada than in the USA. 1st issue would have cost $1600. I paid $100 deductible. 2nd issue would have cost $600 . I paid $100 deductible. My warranty expires in 2019 and I won't hit the mileage limit. Out of pocket difference so far is $0. I've got 3 years left with no big $$$ worries.

Older topic but my 5 cents (we don't have pennies in Canada anymore):

My Ford PremiumCARE ESP (from a US seller) purchased online at $2000 (Canadian) for a used (out of warranty) Canadian Edge. Keep in mind that shop rates and parts are priced a lot higher here in Canada than in the USA. 1st issue would have cost $1600. I paid $100 deductible. 2nd issue would have cost $600 . I paid $100 deductible. My warranty expires in 2019 and I won't hit the mileage limit. Out of pocket difference so far is $0. I've got 3 years left with no big $$$ worries.

Warranty/ESP sounds good. However doesn't speak well to the quality of the Edge (IMO) if you've already had that much in repairs. I have a $2500 third party 5-year warranty on my 2005 Equinox (warranty is up this Dec.) 72,000 miles. Last 4 years, over 4k in repairs. Latest is the lovely carriage bearing and drive shaft (apparently very common on the Equinox). Ugh. Will be glad to soon be rid of my POS Chevy.

Although I have yet to purchase an ESP for my current 2015 Sport, I have purchased the ESP in the past, on my 2011 Escape and my 2007 Mustang. While I only had those vehicles for 4 years and 3 years (respectively), I never did have to use the ESP on either one of them, so I got a nice prorated chunk of my money back on those policies when I eventually sold and/or traded them in. As I have a little over two more years to go on the factory warranty on my 2015, before I have to worry about an ESP, I've decided that I will wait and see how well this 2015 works out during that time, before I decide to pull the trigger on the ESP this time around.

I will say that I will never, ever buy a third-party "protection plan" for my Edge (or any car)... we once had one for our Chrysler years ago, and getting claims paid was terrible. Once a covered repair was completed, they required the dealer to call them and get an OK, and they paid them with some kind of corporate credit card... but they routinely jerked-around the dealer when they called in... even though the work was approved in advance by this particular company! One night we went in to pickup our car, and the dealer had been unable to get a straight answer out of the insurance company before the dealership closed, so we had to pay the dealership with our own personal credit card, to get the car back, and then fought the insurance company for reimbursement! Never again will I endure that kind of hardship... which is why a Ford ESP at least eliminates having to deal with a third-party scenario (and the headaches that come along with it)!

• Like 1

I had the Ford Premium Extended Warranty for my '11 Mustang GT. I bought it online for $1100 I think around the same time I bought the car brand new. I wanted to make sure I had a warranty for the entire length of my loan (years and estimated mileage). $50 deductible. Right before it expired I'd take it in there for every weird sound and just making stuff up. Based on receipts I broke even. Had a lot of front end replaced before the warranty ran out so I was happy with that.

Would I do it again? Not sure. My Edge is a lease so of course I didn't opt for it this time. I think next time I'll just take the money it'll cost for that warranty, and put it aside as a vehicle repair fund. Or toss $50/mth in an account just for that.

Knock on wood, the mustang has been out of warranty for over a year now and no problems (besides the original battery finally died). But I don't put more than 6k miles on it a year, so that helps with keeping costs low.

If you're really looking at it from a cost savings perspective you have to look at it over a long time and several vehicles. You can have one or two vehicles where you make out like a bandit - just like you can have one or two trips to vegas where you win big. But if you play the game long enough the house always wins. If you can afford to self-insure (that's all an extended warranty is - an insurance policy) you'll almost always win in the long run. If you can't afford a big repair then an ESP make sense - just factor it into the car financing so you're only paying a few bucks a month.

Hi all,

I'm in Canada (BC) with a new to me 2014 Edge with 28k (km's). I have till March 2017 before the b2b warranty is up. My question, which I haven't really found a definitive answer to via forum reading, is this. My new dealer quoted me $3.5K Cdn for a 3 year 150,000 km Premium ESP "D code" (AWD). What I don't get is the warnings from others that a US dealer sold ESP is not valid in Canada. Has anyone in Canada bought a US dealer (Fleet etc) ESP and actually used it in Canada?

I could call Ford Canada but who knows if the person on the other end is really being truthful or even knows...

Any help on this and if it is ok to do, who did you use? Remember currently US dollar is about $1.30 Cdn so my Canada dealer price in US dollars is about $2,400.

Thanks

Consider contacting the finance officer at your local dealer and ask for a copy of the Canadian ESP. Should lay out the details of what it covers in writing. At the same time, mention that you may be traveling to the states and ask if the warranty will be honored by a dealer in the lower 48 should you need it when here. (Should establish if the ESP is Canada only or North America).

You could also contact the Ford dealer representative here in the forum and see what he says. Think it's Levittown Ford (forget the exact name, please excuse me if I got it wrong; anyway they are in the supplier's forum).

Edited by enigma-2

Hi all,

I'm in Canada (BC) with a new to me 2014 Edge with 28k (km's). I have till March 2017 before the b2b warranty is up. My question, which I haven't really found a definitive answer to via forum reading, is this. My new dealer quoted me $3.5K Cdn for a 3 year 150,000 km Premium ESP "D code" (AWD). What I don't get is the warnings from others that a US dealer sold ESP is not valid in Canada. Has anyone in Canada bought a US dealer (Fleet etc) ESP and actually used it in Canada?

I could call Ford Canada but who knows if the person on the other end is really being truthful or even knows...

Any help on this and if it is ok to do, who did you use? Remember currently US dollar is about $1.30 Cdn so my Canada dealer price in US dollars is about $2,400.

Thanks

US FORD ESPs are valid in Canada. I have 1 and I have used it in Canada. Canadians cannot buy US ESPs as of a few years ago. There is a workaround. I've PMd you. FORD US ESPs are about 40% cheaper than FORD Canada ESPs, even with factoring in the current exchange rate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of questions about Ford's ESP. First we are looking for a used Edge in the 2011-2013 year range. Does Ford's ESP's have a limit on how old of vehicle you can purchase it for? I know some manufacturers only offer their extended plans for vehicles that under 5 years old.

My second question is the level of coverage. I don't usually purchase extended warranties for vehicles and the last time I purchased one was back in 2005 when I bought a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I remember that at the time Nissan offered an extended warranty that basically covered almost anything, in fact it basically only listed a very short list of things it did not cover such as AC refrigerant for example. It was basically very close to as extensive as the Nissan new car warranty which was nice. I negotiated a great price with the Nissan dealer back then for that extended plan and we did have to use it a couple of times & in the end we basically broke even.

Does Ford offer something similar to that where the coverage is almost as extensive as the new car warranty? I did try looking at their plans online but the available information is rather confusing.

Edited by NY Yankee Pride

I think you have to purchase an ESP before the 3/36K bumper to bumper warranty expires. You can get a Certified Pre Owned Ford but I don't know the details of that warranty.

Ford's Premium Care ESP covers a lot but it's not bumper to bumper. Whatever you look at - make sure to check the list of what is and isn't covered and don't go by what anyone tells you.