Ford ESP cost vs risk

cab2g

I just found this although it's a third party seller so I'm not sure how accurate this information is:

Q: Who can purchase a Ford ESP (Extended Service Plan)?

A: Ford ESPs can be purchased by anyone for any 2002 or newer Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle! Even if your factory warranty has expired you can purchase a warranty from Ford Motor Company. You can even RENEW your current Ford ESP if it is about to expire! If you have any questions please call our warranty hot line at 1-937-552-5616

NOTE: Ford Extended Service Plans purchased for vehicles not covered by the factory warranty require a vehicle inspection before the contract can be activated by Ford Motor Company. The vehicle inspection report (click here to download) must be completed at a Ford or Lincoln Dealership. After your dealership completes the inspection, email the inspection AND your mechanic's invoice to support@troyford.com, or fax the paperwork to 1-937-552-5616

Q: My vehicle has over 36,000 miles or is over 3 years old, can I still purchase a Ford ESP?
A: YES! If you have over 36,000 miles (50,000 for Lincolns) or if your vehicle was purchased brand new by the original owner more than 3 years ago (4 for Lincolns) then your factory warranty has expired. Simply select your vehicle from the menu on the left and then select "My vehicle is NOT covered by the factory warranty."

http://www.troy-ford-extended-warranty.com/Ford-Extended-Warranty-Questions-s/2581.htm

I've driven Fords for over 30 years and never purchased the extended warranty. Luckily I've never had any major problems and have the mechanical ability to handle most minor and some major repairs myself. The old art of do-it-yourself car maintenance and repair has pretty much died with the younger generations so I do think it's a good idea for most consumers to pick up the extended warranty these days if they plan on keeping a vehicle past 36,000 miles.

I bought the max esp I could get when I bought my 09 MKX last year. Got three years and (if I remember correctly) 30k miles. Don't drive many miles as i work at home so more interested in time.

Have used it several times so far, already paid for itself (as of last week - new fan assy and recharge ac system, ~$800).

Covers almost everything, clearly detailed in the brochure. http://slickdeals.net/?lno=7&trd=http+www+factoryplan+wbr+s+com+a&pv=&au=&sdtid=3137454&sdop=1&sdpid=41210416&sdfid=9&mon=1&ref=1&u2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.factoryplans.com%2Fassets%2Fcms%2Ffiles%2Fbrochure_FordESPPlanOptions.pdf

Edited by enigma-2

Ill be getting my moneys worth out of mine next week when my dealer tackles the "SHIFT TO PARK" issue on my Edge SPORT

Got the "Shirt to Park" issue fixed and I have Fords best ESP which when I bought it I was told covered everything but tires and lightbulbs.

Dealer did the repair and I walked out with no charge.

Got a call that Ford's ESP refused to cover the shift to Park issue. !!!

Dealership was amazed and charged me only for the part.

Im beginning to think I was scammed !

Strange. PremiumCARE says "Shifter - Transmission Gear Shift Control" is covered. How much did the dealership charge you, do you have a deductible?

$204 for the part......they had it three days, gave me a rental car that they told me was covered then said it wasnt...I refused to pay for the rental car. No deductable

I just paid $2330 for an 8 year 125k mile Premiumcare plan with the $100 deductible from the dealer. I have never really used any of the ESP's in the past, but I see it as an insurance plan if anything. In the event of any AWD or Powertrain failure, those can get very expensive very quickly.

• Like 1

Correct, you can buy a Ford ESP even if the vehicle is outside the original warranty. It just costs a bit more and you need to get an inspection done on the vehicle.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm gathering from the research I've been doing.

I've driven Fords for over 30 years and never purchased the extended warranty. Luckily I've never had any major problems and have the mechanical ability to handle most minor and some major repairs myself. The old art of do-it-yourself car maintenance and repair has pretty much died with the younger generations so I do think it's a good idea for most consumers to pick up the extended warranty these days if they plan on keeping a vehicle past 36,000 miles.

I'm not saying that we'll definitely be purchasing an ESP, I'm just trying to get as much information as possible about them so I know all the information before we even purchase an Edge. If we do purchase the ESP I would definitely want to go with the plan that covers the most. Otherwise I feel like it will always be an issue of whatever happens to go wrong won't be covered defect.

Edited by NY Yankee Pride

• 2 months later...

I actually got the Maintenance program via Ford includes all oil changes, and tune ups through 90k. think the cost was 1800. I figured all work is done at a Ford Dealer and that's my preference. Those mechanics see Fords all day everyday they work so they know their way around them.

As far as warranty extension I got one via Costco cost was $2000 for that. It covers 7yrs/100k. For me it's piece of mind with the Ecoboost with a turbo plus all the electronics things can happen. I tend to keep my cars a while too so it's worth it to me to know I am covered AND if I don't use it I get some money back on it.

I don't tend to buy these items when getting a car but I did one time for a used Nissan Sentra way back when and it paid for itself by the second week. That car was a nightmare. The second week I had it the starter went out. had it towed, fixed, and rental car supplied. Total cost would have been $1000 had to wait a week for the starter for some reason. Paid 1200 for the warranty. Then a few months later used it for an oil leak had oil pan and head gaskets replaced would have cost another 300. So all in all it worked in my favor to the tune of 100 bucks.

There are items on the maintenance schedule. The big seller for me was it included brakes. If the brakes need replacing before 90k they are paid for. Plus I have towing and roadside assistance via Ford as well (I don't have AAA). I don't typically purchase these plans but paying the cost upfront vs costs later seemed reasonable enough to me.

Even though it's simple maintenance the 30k "inspection" in my area runs $259.99.

The way I look at it I still think I got a good deal. Either way getting to lazy to keep changing my own oil and doing my own maintenance anymore. I would rather have someone else deal with it.

• Like 1

Why on earth would anyone pay $259 for an inspection? Just because they offer it doesn't mean it's needed or can't be done a lot cheaper. That's the fallacy with these programs - they include a lot of "inspection" costs that aren't really necessary.

If that's what you would normally pay for then I guess it's an ok deal once you figure in the brakes. But you can have the oil changed every 7500K or so and do one full brake job for a lot less than $1800.

• Like 2

Oh well. I guess I got hosed...lol.

The problem is most of these warranty's require that $259 "inspection" or they say tough luck buddy you didn't do xyz it's in most contracts. You can be denied warranty work if you did not take your car in for it's scheduled maintenance. I have heard of that happening. Plus I am not one of those people who get a new car every 3 years. I hold on to it for 5-7 years typically.

Honestly we can go back and forth on this on good vs bad etc, etc. the dealer made out or maybe he didn't who knows it really was not offered by the dealer. It's offered by Ford. For me it was piece of mind.

Maybe I should clarify it a little more. It actually covers more than just maintenance, it covers repairs as well, if I start to get these crazy issues after the "bumper to bumper" warranty runs out in 3 years I know I can drive it in say x, y, and z are happening fix it, sign my name and drive off with a (hopefully) fixed vehicle with no money out of my pocket other than what I paid already, to me it's worth it. The friction part of the brakes are not covered but I have a guy who can get me those parts at cost anyway. Plus if I sell it before it expires i get that money back toward a down on my next Ford unless I end up totally hating the Edge. Not to mention the towing, and roadside assistance for 7 years, which hopefully won't be needed but just in case.

I equate it to auto insurance you pay your auto insurance every year but just because you don't use it, does it mean you are throwing that money away? That's kind of the way I looked at this plan it's a cost of $257 per year (or if you want to deduct the first 3 years $450 per year) for knowing that if in 5 years the engine blows up and I need a new one. My cost is $0 not $7k, and since my service was done at a certified dealer using certified Ford parts how could they deny me the claim?

That's my take on it, as all it takes is one major issue outside the warranty to put a major dent in your pocket.

I was riding the fence but decided to go with the Ford ESP.......

One visit to fix two non functioning radiator cooling fans paid for the ESP !

A subsequent visit for Shift to Park issue again paid for the plan.

Odds are against needing it but fixes are sooooooo costly these days that the risk is negligable

I have no issues with that. I can't speak for Ford as a brand. I know a friend of mine was denied warranty coverage because he didn't get the 30k tune up, though that was for a Nissan.

I thought the question was why anyone would pay $259 for "inspections". I know I am totally with you on the cost, it sucks but it's the reality in the area I live in. If I lived in a small town maybe it would only cost me $89 (exaggeration). My thought is preventative maintenance is better than the fix it when it breaks approach.

Plus if you read my last post I mention it covers more than just the maintenance it also covers repairs. So I didn't pay for just oil changes and inspections. I paid for any cost of an unexpected repair for the next 7 years.....

As rwf says, his plan paid for itself with an unexpected repair. 2016 is only the second year of this Edge redesign. Does anyone really know how reliable this model is after 5 years? I am hoping very reliable but we'll know for sure 5 years from now. Maybe I won't need the plan that's the risk I am willing to take, if it prevents me from forking out a large lump of cash to get something fixed or replaced outside of the standard factory warranty then it will be worth every penny.

Edited by haedgy

Also sorry one more thing to note. This is straight out of the 2016 Ford warranty page 2:

"It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Owner’s Manual will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance. Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle and confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in your Owner’s Manual."

I doubt Ford would want the bad press denying coverage but depending on how much an ass the dealer you take it to is, they can theoretically deny warranty work based on not getting the scheduled service. just an FYI, this is fairly standard with all car manufactures.

But Kirby you are correct, you don't have to pay the dealer but if you don't use a certified mechanic or do it yourself they could give you a bad time about what was done and by who. Just saying you are less likely to get the run around if you can say all maintenance was performed at the dealer.

Edited by haedgy