Paddle Shifters in non-sport trims

I'd like to know if anybody has tried installing the Sport paddle shifters in an SEL/Limited model? From looking at parts diagrams, it seems it would just be the steering wheel and the shifters themselves. Steering wheel trim and the rest of the buttons would all be there. Seems the only real question would be whether the wiring is there to plug in the paddles. I assume it would be.

Anybody else looked into this?

• 1 month later...

As far as just changing (or adding to) the hardware on the steering column, I have found that, in today's cars, they're so controlled by either the computer or one of it's sub-controllers, that adding hardware features also typically require that there be changes made in the software. This kind of thing started a few years ago with Ford.

For example, I had a 2009 Crown Victoria, but it never came with cruise control. So, I simply bought a matching cruise-control-equipped steering wheel on eBay, then swapped it out. Seems simple enough, right? Nope... I then had to pay the dealer $140 to go into my computer's programming to "enable" the cruise control feature IN THE SOFTWARE, before it would recognize the new steering wheel controls and allow them to talk to the system and function properly.

Another example... when I bought my 2011 Escape, it did not come with Daytime Running Lights... a safety feature I really wanted. When I bought the vehicle, the salesman told me he "thought" the feature could be turned-on in software (again, that dang software issue!). So, I brought the car back and their techs had it on their scanner/programmer for an hour, only to come back and tell me that my programming didn't support that feature... as "only the Canadian vehicles software has that ability to be turned on and off".

So, just be aware of how software-driven our newer Fords are, as unless it came from the factory with certain features, you may find it nearly impossible to add a feature later on... even if you have the hardware-based components that you thought was all you needed.

Bob, some features do require software programming, but some don't. On the 2011+ Explorer, those without a factory towing package don't have the tow/haul mode/button for the transmission. Simply replacing the switch with one that has the button will enable the feature, this I saw personally on a Friend's 2013 Explorer that didn't have the feature from factory.. I have also read about a Focus owner who added SelectShift to his car by replacing the shifter assembly with one that has it.

Also, for the 2011-2015 Edge, the +/- buttons are already on the shifter & they work, so the programming is definitely there, it is most probably a wiring thing to connect the paddle shifters so they'd work.

Hi omar302,

I didn't mean to imply that nothing will ever work without a software upgrade; only that it is something that should possibly be looked-into, before investing in the necessary hardware pieces, at least to be safe. Based on my own experiences noted in my post (and a few more not shared), I've learned that the cars of today are no longer as simple as we wish they could be. I once wanted to make some lighting upgrades in my Escape, only to find that the lights involved apparently were controlled by a "Lighting Module", and there was no way to effectively get into that module to make it do what I wanted it to do. Frustrating, for sure.

I certainly hope that the gentlemen asking about this has great luck in his adding those paddles; you definitely have more knowledge in that area than I do. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Yes Bob, I did understand your point and that some features might need a software programming which I also agree with, I was just trying to state that even though a transmission feature would seem more likely to require re-programming (being more complex than DRL or Cruise Control), It was proved in other Ford products that sometimes (not always) simple plug & play will work. Though, unfortunately, it did not work for me (yet).