Rattle coming from the center of dashboard...

...toward the front window. Around the center/front speaker area.

Anyone notice this?

UPDATE: Turns out to be the plastic piece behind the rear view mirror. The sound seems like it comes from the dashboard storage compartment, but if you grab that plastic piece behind the rear view mirror, the sound goes away.

Edited by WingNut

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dash rattle also. Just haven't had time to diagnose. I thought it was coming from the center storage compartment.

Separate topic, I asked the dealer to fix the cup holder rattle when they replaced my headliner and of course they couldn't hear it. I will just fix it myself.

Edited by tron1974

I have a dash rattle also. Just haven't had time to diagnose. I thought it was coming from the center storage compartment.

Separate topic, I asked the dealer to fix the cup holder rattle when they replaced my headliner and of course they couldn't hear it. I will just fix it myself.

Check that plastic piece behind the rear view. That is what it was on mine. I think the sound bounces off the windshield and it sounds like it is coming from that storage compartment. I drove in the passenger seat for a few hours this weekend and when the rattle would come, I would grab that plastic piece and the noise would go away.

WN; Can that be fixed without taking it to the dealer? Also, can you post a picture of the offending piece?

I'm sure I could wedge something somewhere to keep it from rattling. I haven't tried yet.

And the piece is the big black plastic piece (Cover) behind the rear view mirror. Can't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've got a 2011 MKX with 60000kms that just recently purchased. The next day I got a "Shift To Par" error when the car was actually in park, so I brought it in for service and thats when the rattling/ buzzing noise happened began. It sounds like its coming from behind the centre front compartment (where the SD cards in USB connectors are). I completely removed the console and placed foam everywhere I could think the noise could be coming from, but I haven't had any luck fixing the problem

Has anyone experience something similar? Please Help! Its driving me crazy!!!

Edited by REN

They did replace the shifter. I actually took he whole thing apart yesterday. I drove with car with the shifter out and it was still making the same noise.

I read on a Fusion Form that they're experiencing the same problem. Apparently theres an aluminum gas/ evap line going into the centre of the firewall that causing the rattle and fixed it with a kids swimming noodle?

Update:

Its not the Sun Visor & black plastic piece Behind the mirror. In fact, I think its front cowl. I played around with yesterday and I haven't heard any noise since.

​It really make sense because it clips up against the front windshield. I'm going to do a little investigating.

The person who posted this said the Issue was finally fixed after complaining to Ford and having dealership properly examine for the sound. Issue was caused by loose exhaust pipes and needed some clamps to hold it in place better.

My car is going in next Monday, I just have a feeling that they won't be able to replicate it and or fix it.

Can anyone help?

Hard to make out. I had a sound somewhere simular. It turned out to be the windshield defroster grill that had popped up on the right side. Pushed it back down (when I finally found it) and that stopped it.

Thanks. I tried that but still no luck. It almost sounds like its coming from behind the navigation screen

Argh! This is so frustrating.