Outside Temperature Sensor

msp0789

Does anyone know where the sensor for the ouside temp is located? I notice that the outside temp reads much warmer when I first start driving, but becomes accurate as I drive along. Thanks.

Hi msp0789. :D Well, while the answer is relatively simple, it is harder to explain in writing. The sensors are usually located up front in the bumper/radiator area, off to one side. The reason that the reading is higher when the vehicle is sitting still is because the heat from your vehicle, and the heat from the ground (asphalt, concrete, etc.) will give an artificially high reading.

The sensor is meant to read ambient air temperature. If your vehicle is parked, the ambient air temperature in the area of the vehicle is higher than the ambient air temperature away from a vehicle. This is due to the rays of the sun heating up the metal of the vehicle, the asphalt, concrete, etc, etc.

When your vehicle is moving, the sensor can then get an accurate reading of the ambient air temperature, since the heat from surrounding objects is mostly nullified by the fresh air rushing through the sensor area.

And just to anticipate the next possible question: No, if the vehicle is moving the reading is not affected by the "wind chill factor". "Wind Chill" does not affect inanimate objects.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi msp0789. :D Well, while the answer is relatively simple, it is harder to explain in writing. The sensors are usually located up front in the bumper/radiator area, off to one side. The reason that the reading is higher when the vehicle is sitting still is because the heat from your vehicle, and the heat from the ground (asphalt, concrete, etc.) will give an artificially high reading.

The sensor is meant to read ambient air temperature. If your vehicle is parked, the ambient air temperature in the area of the vehicle is higher than the ambient air temperature away from a vehicle. This is due to the rays of the sun heating up the metal of the vehicle, the asphalt, concrete, etc, etc.

When your vehicle is moving, the sensor can then get an accurate reading of the ambient air temperature, since the heat from surrounding objects is mostly nullified by te fresh air rushing through the sensor area.

And just to anticipate the next possible question: No if the vehicle is moving, the reading does not get affected by the "wind chill factor". "Wind Chill" does not affect inanimate objects.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Many thanks to akirby and especially bbf2530 for their input on this question. It all makes sense now.

Cheers!

Interestingly my 2000 Lincoln LS had a software strategy that stored the previous temp when the car was turned off and kept that temp until the car reached at least 20 mph. If the car is only off a short time then chances are the previous temp is very close. If it's off overnight or all day then it may not be accurate, but at least it never showed 106 degrees when the ambient temp was 70.

• 3 years later...

The temp sensor on my LS was in the front grille so that would be my guess - but it's just a guess.

Hi ,I need to locate outside temperature sensor as well,do you know precise location within grille area please?Just do not want take whole thing apart if not necessary,regards Ivan.