Actual good LED Headlights

Thanks! I've kind of had a lot going on personally and professionally.

I spent some time on the phone with PIAA's R&D guy today. Most of their testing thus far ha been on reflector lights. Mine is one of a handful of projectors that have been done thus far. I haven't seen them in reflectors, but I imagine they'd do well. In case anybody doesn't know, PIAA is actually a decades old legitimate company that makes very high end stuff. Kind of a Japanese version of Hella. Retail is $300, but they can be had for a little less.

• Like 1

Great to see you back, Dingo.

I'm still enjoying my TRS 55w setup. Original everything, 4 years running...

So, do you feel that LED gives a lot more useable light? I'm considering the switch, but only if it is truly beneficial.

I do like that it would bring back "flash to pass" functionality during the daytime.

Yes. Much more. And flash to pass is fantastic. Instant on, full brightness. No warm-up.

That being said, I didn't like how the lower middle of the beams had a dark spot. Even though driving at night was a pleasure, I felt like I needed some more light directly in front of the car. Well, originally, they looked like this:

piaa-17201-9006-led-white-dual-hr.jpg

That little horn at the top is good for reflectors, but makes the dark spot on projectors. On reflectors, it kills glare to oncoming cars. On our projectors with the shutter, this isn't a concern. With the okay from PIAA, I cut them off. This is obviously before I cleaned them up and reinstalled, but the result was fantastic. If I were any happier, I'd poop a clown.

IMG_1872_zpsmizz6kn6.jpg

Oh, and last night, I did the drive from Knoxville back to Atlanta (3.5 hours) with the horn still on them. Very relaxing and they worked great.

Edited by Dingo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...