Strange Happenings

Redbow

Yesterday I had an appointment for my 55K mile check up on my 2013 Edge SE. When I went out to leave the Edge would not start. Temp was in the upper 20's which is cold for North Texas. Clickty, clickty was all I got like the Battery was low. I tried several times hoping it was just the cold. Then the darn thing started doing all sorts of strange things. Dash lights were blinking, bells were chiming, turn the key off and the stuff just kept on keepin on for about 10 seconds. Thought I had really blown it up this time. It wouldn't even let me shift out of PARK. So I caller the Dealership and they gave me the Road Service #. Service truck arrived in less than 20 minutes. Jump started the Edge and to my surprise everything was back to normal. Got my 55K service and they charged & checked the battery. It checked OK, so I didn't replace it. In conclusion, we decided that I needed to drive the car more. To many night time and short trips in our small town. Maybe 100 miles in the last month. So the moral to the story is drive your cars Guys, just to keep the battery up

Burke

Those are classic low battery symptoms - get yourself a jump starter box just to be safe. They're cheap and work great.

I would recommend getting the battery tested for CCAs. Some places use older testers that don't tell the whole story.

I also recommend topping off the battery with distilled water every year or two and you might want to invest in a C-tek or similar charger - just put that on once a month or so and should keep it in peak condition when you can't drive a lot.

• Like 1

Had decided that what you suggest is exactly what I'll start doing with the Edge. It's not that I can't drive, love to drive. But I'd just rather drive my 57 Bird most of the time. I do put the Bird on the charger about once a month, just because. Greenville, TX is not a large place, maybe 10/20 minutes from one side to the other. And only about 3 miles from my house to all the important places. So unless I have a reason to go to Dallas, neither of my vehicles get much use during this time of year.

Burke