Edge rpms flutter

Atossi

New to the forum

My girlfriend has a 2008 Edge. After a few weeks of owning the edge we noticed the rpms would flutter under acceleration and cruise control. By flutter I mean they would jump 100 rpms then go back to normal, kinda making the car have a jerking feeling. We have taken the car to the dealer twice and they cant seem to figure out this issue. All I was told is the trans was 1 quart low on fluid, they cleaned the map sensor, and changed out sensors on the trans. This was over 4 weeks of them having the car and not being able to diagnose the problem, but they could get it to act up. The car worked fine on the drive home, then started doing it again and continues to do so. Anyone have any problems like this?

Welcome aboard, Atossi! Is the Edge AWD or FWD, how much mileage? Does the issue happen at any speed, or only in a particular band? Only when engine is cold, only when warmed up (remember that trans takes longer to warm up especially in wintertime), or doesn't matter? Have you tried running some FI cleaner (Techron and BG 44K are two top choices) through the tank?

Some of the more common things that might be the cause (always pull codes first on modern vehicles, by the way):

1. Depending on mileage, it might be time to change the spark plugs and PCV valve
  2. Clogged or leaky fuel injectors
  3. Faulty wheel speed sensor(s)
  4. Since the OSS/TSS sensors were changed (can you verify?), those should not be the issue now
  5. If AWD, PTU and related hardware is always in the mix

Rarer issues could include:

1. Camshaft position sensor (does the tach ever stay at zero when you crank the engine?)
  2. Crankshaft position sensor
  3. Stripped timing gears
  4. Torque Converter

By no means a comprehensive list, but some possibilities to consider.

If possible check the maintenance history from Ford. You may also be able to get some information on the maintenance history by paying for a carfax report on the vehicle. couple of other items would be the throttle body, but not really a symptom you are describing. other item may be unrelated but check the power steering vacuum as it has been known to do weird things with the edge.

Note: Upon further reading on what you are saying and knowing Wisconsin. I am almost willing to bet your TSS and OSS sensors are starting to act up and have not been changed out. This symptom will not register any codes until complete failure. I am betting it happens at hills and when driving and does it from infrequently to a progression of more frequently. You should also start feeling more shift bump at stop signs and lights along with lazy shifts.

The dealer will not know what is wrong until it or they fail. (TSS OSS) sensors. Rest assured this is not a fatal issue with the transmission but it is a 700 dollar repair. Changing the fluid might help some but will not stop the failures. You should always change the fluid when you buy a used car.

Just do not panic if it fails as it will throw a whole bunch of dash lights. If you are in the middle of now where (Wisconsin qualifies) LOL do not stop to check it out. You dash will blank out and show no miles, a wrench sign, low tire pressure and the RPM will go up due to the loss of over drive. Keep driving until you reach a safe place to stop. Driving it will not damage the transmission. Remember once you stop you are pretty much done. The transmission will hardly move the Edge and it will shift into gear with jolt and a bang.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

I am almost willing to bet your TSS and OSS sensors are starting to act up and have not been changed out.

The dealer will not know what is wrong until it or they fail. (TSS OSS) sensors.

Mac, I believe that the op stated they had changed out the transmission sensors as part of the 4-week repair.

• 10 months later...

Hey I new to this forum as well and not a female wrench wielder but understand enough to be dangerous. I have a slightly similar issue on my edge here in Texas where it isn't cold at least not today. I get a flutter and kind of a stutter like an older engine missing, all typically below 2000 rpms and when accelerating and when "cold" as in a fresh start but also when accelerating to enter freeways and such. It is just enough to make me nervous. Not looking forward to any expensive repair bills and surely will not be doing any myself. Just want to prevent any bigger issues if possible. I read through the posts above and I too wondered about fuel filters and or injection. Or is she may need a major tune up. I just bought my edge in June of 2016, used and with high miles. Any help, info or pointer will help when dealing with repairmen, please and thank you. I've also got the failed seat heater on drivers side, an a/c blower that might have a short or at least a loose connection somewhere.

First thing run by an Auto parts store and have them scan the Edge for codes. (do not let them talk you into parts purchases) then report back here and we should be able to set you up in the right direction. In the mean time post all that you know about maintanance history of your Edge and information on your Edge such as Model trim, AWD or FWD etc. Lets start with the engine issue first then move on to the other noted items you mentioned.

• Like 1