Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Outside air temp sensor not working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jonathan Lynch

Jonathan Lynch

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 21 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

Hi all.  Got my 2016 Edge Sport last weekend.  Noticing that the outside air temp never updates.  After the car has been off for a number of hours, it will take an initial reading, but that never changes afterwards, until I turn off the car again for a number of hours.  Making the climate auto control pretty useless.  Taking to dealership tomorrow to have LoJack installed and will ask them to check it out. Anyone else noticing this? Any fixes?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Jonathan Lynch

Jonathan Lynch

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

So went to the dealer today. Temp sensor has been working, kind of. Fiddled with it a bit with my finger through the grill (it's under the right headlight, towards bottom, and behind the grille. Seems the issue is that it works differently than my 2012 Edge. That sensor updated continuously. My 2016 sensor seems to need a little sustained speed (around 40 mph for a minute or so). Unfortunately for me, I live in Los Angeles traffic hell, and rarely get on the freeway. Have an appt to have it checked, but not until first week of March. Anyone else getting this issue? Are my deductions/observations about speed correct? Anyone? Bueller?

#3 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,037 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

Hopefully just a loose wire?  Other than a bad unit, that's the most likely prospect, I think.  Don't know if there's any interplay with active grille shutters, assuming your Edge has them.

#4 OFFLINE   djrjr

djrjr

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 27 posts
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

My cousin's Cruze (I know, I know not at all a Ford Edge) does the same thing in regards to being slow to update the outside air temperature.  The solution was in finding the logic behind when it updates:

If the vehicle is driven at:

25-40♦km/h (15-25♦mph), the display will update after 5 minutes.
41-60♦km/h (26-37♦mph), the display will update after 2 min 30 sec.
61-100♦km/h (38-62♦mph), the display will update after 1 minute.
Once the first temperature update begins, the outside temperature display is refreshed every 2 seconds.

I wonder if the Edge has similar logic built in.

#5 OFFLINE   Jonathan Lynch

Jonathan Lynch

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:45 AM

Thanks djrjr...

My problem is now that I am in Los Angeles traffic and can barely drive 25-40 for 5 minutes due to all my the traffic, lights, and stop signs. Makes my normal daily work commute impossible to get temp updates. Boo.

#6 OFFLINE   Jonathan Lynch

Jonathan Lynch

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

Ok, I officially hate the outside temp gauge. Drove around today for hours in 85+ temps and outside air gauge never moved from 70 degrees. Seems I have to get on the freeway to have it update, but I never need to drive on freeway, mainly just around town. What's the point of this thing?

#7 OFFLINE   Jonathan Lynch

Jonathan Lynch

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:39 AM

Ok, found this on another site. It is from the 2013-2014 Ford Escape Repair Manual, but the Ambient Air Sensor is the same part # as the 2016 Edge. Thus, this info probably applies to me. LA traffic is to blame for my problem....

Outside Air Temperature Display

The Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor provides the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) data used for the outside air temperature display in the IPC. The Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor is hardwired to the PCM through separate input and return circuits. The PCM provides a reference voltage to the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor and monitors the change in voltage resulting from changes in resistance as determined by outside air temperature. The PCM filters the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) input and sends the BCM the air ambient temperature filtered message over the HS-CAN. The BCM sends the air ambient temperature filtered message to the IPC over the MS-CAN.

Due to the location of the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor in the front grill area, it is greatly influenced by heat generated from the engine compartment at low vehicle speeds and at engine idle. For this reason the outside air temperature value displayed in the IPC does not update in the upward (hotter) direction under 33 km/h (20 mph). This update strategy is used because the PCM is unable to determine whether the increase in temperature is truly from an ambient temperature rise or by heat generated from the engine compartment.

The outside air temperature display in the IPC updates in the upward (hotter) direction under either of the following situations:

- if the vehicle is driven over 33 km/h (20 mph) continuously without the vehicle speed dropping below 33 km/h (20 mph) for approximately 90 seconds.

- if the vehicle is allowed to sit with the engine off for approximately 6 hours (the outside air temperature display in the IPC immediately updates to reflect the current ambient conditions since the engine has cooled sufficiently and no longer has an effect on the outside air temperature sensor reading).

NOTE: If the vehicle speed drops below 33 km/h (20 mph) before the outside air temperature display in the IPC begins to update, the PCM logic resets and the time starts over.

Because this filtering strategy exists, it may be necessary to drive the vehicle continuously above 33 km/h (20 mph) for approximately 90 seconds when observing the outside air temperature display operation. After the vehicle has been driven above 33 km/h (20 mph) for 90 seconds, the outside air temperature display in the IPC starts to rise (filter upward), increasing toward the actual outside air temperature. Depending on the difference between what the outside air temperature is displaying in the IPC and the actual outside temperature, it can take several minutes for the outside air temperature display in the IPC to reach the outside temp.

The outside air temperature display in the IPC does not filter in the downward (colder) direction and always displays the coldest temperature detected by the sensor even when the vehicle is stationary. When the outside Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) is lower than the temperature displayed in the IPC, the IPC immediately updates the displayed temperature downward to reflect the colder ambient air temperature, even at idle.
  • factor99, WWWPerfA_ZN0W and omar302 like this

#8 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,341 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

I wonder if one were to build a shield over the back of the sensor (blocking the heat of the engine) would partially correct the problem?

#9 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,589 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:37 PM

I wouldn't mess with that area as it is already optimised for proper air flow into the condenser/radiator and aerodynamics. Also some models have active grille shutters in the same area.

I remember for the 2011+ MKX already, there are two different parts for the support behind the grille (the black mesh piece with holes in it) for tow & non-tow models, again confirming the airflow dynamics.

Edit: the parts can be seen here.

Edited by omar302, 25 February 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   frmichaud

frmichaud

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:45 PM

I have a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium and the outside temperature don't work, it change some time but never indicated the proper value, I left 2 time my Edge at my Ford Dealer , each time they changed the sensor

The problem remain the same, only the value display is different

Does some body has the same problem and how was it fixed?

Thanks

Francois

Edited by frmichaud, 08 November 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   frmichaud

frmichaud

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:07 AM

Ithink my technician found the problem of the wrond display of temperature

They found water and oxydation in Connector C140 located in the Left Front Fender masqued by the liner, it is necessary tu peplace the 2 pigtale  male and female and replace them

I have the 2 parts in order and they must be replaced nex week , I will let you know the result

Francois

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#12 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,037 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

Good luck, would be a relatively simple fix. Make them put a dab of dielectric grease in there.

#13 OFFLINE   frmichaud

frmichaud

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

It is long , it is necessary to remove front left wheel and the liner to have acces to the connector,

I ordered the parts but will have them in a week

Will let you know if it works

Francois

#14 OFFLINE   frmichaud

frmichaud

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:43 PM

In Hamradio we use a rubber tape very sticky to isolate our connectors outside, when you wat to remove it is xtill soft and you peel it, I will put a piece on the connector so it will be totaly waterproof

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B00K4PZ9NO

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users