Black Grill? 2015 Edge SEL

Edday

I have a 2015 Edge SEL with the Default Chome Grill. I wish it were black. What are my options ?
I have seen the parts available for the pre 2015 Edges that can be painted and installed - are these same grill inserts available for 2015/2016?
Has anyone had their chrome grill painted for the 2015/2016 Model ?

Thanks,

Ed

• 6 months later...

Just got my Edge. Of course I wanted a black Grille and also found very limited options for aftermarket parts. My frustrations let me to a product called PLASTI DIP. I did my grille after watching a few youtube videos and it looks awesome. I just masked off the engine, bumper and fenders etc. and went to town...

My best advice is to use a lot of very light coats! Keep the sprayer moving, never go heavy! Give it a good 5 to 10 minutes between coats.

The Grille looked so good I decided to plasti dip my rims too instead of spending a bunch of cash on them.

• Like 1

Just got my Edge. Of course I wanted a black Grille and also found very limited options for aftermarket parts. My frustrations let me to a product called PLASTI DIP. I did my grille after watching a few youtube videos and it looks awesome. I just masked off the engine, bumper and fenders etc. and went to town...

My best advice is to use a lot of very light coats! Keep the sprayer moving, never go heavy! Give it a good 5 to 10 minutes between coats.

The Grille looked so good I decided to plasti dip my rims too instead of spending a bunch of cash on them.

would love to see the outcome!!! do you have pics?

• Like 1

I dont understand how people like the dipped look. We all have different tastes but. Dip looks exactly like what it is, an unfinished job. Nothing OEM or professional at all looking about it. I dipped a whole car like 4 years ago just to see what was cool about it. I hated the look. Recently the rims of my sport were dipped to prank my wife when she went out of town. As soon as they started to fade from the rich black color and started turning dull gray. Peeled it off.

My opinion. Get it painted or wrap it.

You are right that everyone has their own desire of how their vehicle looks... I certainly wasn't looking for an OEM look. I like a little bit of customization on my rides. When I started the day I had silver painted stock wheels and a metallic/chrome front grille, that just wasn't doing it for me. With aftermarket options limited and my budget limited as well I decided to put in the work myself. I think plasti dip was the right decision given my circumstances and I know my ride looks great. I'll probably end up keeping the grille how it is now for the long term, touching it up as necessary over time. The rims are only temporary, but I'm going to wait until it is time to replace the tires before I invest in new rims.

As far as plasti dip only looking good from far away... I painted cars for a few months right out of High School, just long enough to figure out that I wasn't ready to have a real job and deal with the real world. Let me assure you that paint can look terrible too if it isn't applied right. Just as plasti dip can look great close up if the person spraying the car really knows what they are doing. I guarantee that if you were to get right up on my grille you wouldn't spot a single flaw, because there are none. As far as flat black being and unfinished look, if you want a metallic or gloss finish, plasti dip has top coats you can apply as well.

In my opinion, the flat black looks great on the grille, it is exactly the look I wanted. In fact the black grille now matches the side mirrors and roof rack etc., pulling the look together quite nicely.

For someone who is on a budget and can't afford to get their ride painted or wrapped, plasti dip is amazing. I spent under $30 for 5 cans of plasti dip and another $9 on a roll of rubberized painters tape.

Total investment under $40

Total time 4 hours.

Work completed 4 rims and my grille.

• Like 1

Glossifier cannot look anywhere as good as a clearcoat. My old chevy aveo was sprayed in dip from a gun. I know all the ins/outs of dip.

I don't think there is a question of whether clear coated auto body paint is going to look better than a few $10 cans of rattle can paint.

With that said, it's his car and regardless of if you like the look of dip, his execution does look flawless.

I just don't get the reason why people on here comment on something and say "meh, that looks ok...had you spent 10x as much it would have looked better". I think everyone would agree yes spending more money on something is probably going to make it look more OEM.

I'm not gonna sink thousands after thousands into a vehicle that in three years is worth half of what I paid.

If anything I applaud the guy for A. Modifying the vehicle himself, B. Doing it economically.

I personally find the grille to look pretty nice and like I said flawless execution.

I've been on many a car forum, this one seems to take the cake with people who just post to say you should spend more money and do it my way. Just let people mod how the want and either say you like it or not!

I don't think there is a question of whether clear coated auto body paint is going to look better than a few $10 cans of rattle can paint.

With that said, it's his car and regardless of if you like the look of dip, his execution does look flawless.

I just don't get the reason why people on here comment on something and say "meh, that looks ok...had you spent 10x as much it would have looked better". I think everyone would agree yes spending more money on something is probably going to make it look more OEM.

I'm not gonna sink thousands after thousands into a vehicle that in three years is worth half of what I paid.

If anything I applaud the guy for A. Modifying the vehicle himself, B. Doing it economically.

I personally find the grille to look pretty nice and like I said flawless execution.

I've been on many a car forum, this one seems to take the cake with people who just post to say you should spend more money and do it my way. Just let people mod how the want and either say you like it or not!

The cost of vinyl (even shipped to Hawaii) to wrap the grille is cheaper than buying dip.

I've never wrapped anything in vinyl, I'm sure others haven't either. Grabbing a can and taping stuff off may seem like a much easier alternative.

It's really not that hard, just takes patience...shoot I think a lady in Ford Edge Worldwide who's probably old enough to be my grandmother wrapped the top chrome piece of her 11-14 Edge by herself

• 10 months later...

I went thru the same learning curve that a lot of people have probably gone thru regarding plasti-dip. I quickly realized the limitations of plasti-dip for my own personal taste and standards. For me, I will only use plasti-dip as a quick solution for badges and small stuff like that. IMO it is great for badges and seems to hold up very well, but it's just not durable enough for wheels, or the body of a car. But more importantly, it just doesn't give you the uniform surface finish achieved with paint or vinyl and tends to finish with too much of an "orange peel" look. Although if you must, you can minimize this by making sure the can of dip is nice and warm before using. If it's too cold, it's too viscous to spray finely and comes out like snot (exaggeration). I also thought vinyl wrapping would be rather difficult, but like anything, it just takes a little practice is all. There are tons of training videos you can find to help you out also. Vinyl is just as economic as plasti-dip and the finish/color options are virtually endless. I just did my exhaust bezels for $11 in black gloss vinyl and I still have more than half the vinyl left. The gen-II edge grille doesn't seem to have very extreme multi-planar contouring so it shouldn't be too difficult to vinyl wrap. Nick H. can probably offer some tips if you decide to wrap it. Good luck!!

It's really not that hard, just takes patience...shoot I think a lady in Ford Edge Worldwide who's probably old enough to be my grandmother wrapped the top chrome piece of her 11-14 Edge by herself

Quick question Nick, when you take apart your front grille, do the piano black grille slats disassemble form the charcoal gray framing? I have been wondering this for awhile now when I consider different grille finishes. I quickly learned that it is much easier to wrap things if nothing is in the way and you can hold the item in your hand firmly.

• 1 month later...

Quick question Nick, when you take apart your front grille, do the piano black grille slats disassemble form the charcoal gray framing? I have been wondering this for awhile now when I consider different grille finishes. I quickly learned that it is much easier to wrap things if nothing is in the way and you can hold the item in your hand firmly.

I'm thinking you could dismantle the grill and use the piano slats. But you have to remove the bumper to get the grill out and I wasn't up to that task. I just masked the heck out of everything and painted mine. Hope the paint sticks good.

I painted mine. I sanded lightly then used adhesion promoter, black paint then 3 coats of clear.

That looks incredible. Did you remove the grill at all or just tape off the chrome and paint carefully?

Edit: nvm. Looks like ive got a project to do.

Edited by Vhalen50

Yes it all breaks down. My whole grille is wrapped